T Nation

My Lab Results. Do I Need TRT?

Hi there,

I wasn’t feeling good, and this lasted for a very long time actually, but I never thought that it could be something wrong with me, I just thought it was who I was. And then, I started researching, and found out this forum. I went to a doctor (endo) last week, and she asked me to do a few exames. I just got the result. I will go back to her this Monday.

I’ll post here a little bit about myself. I’m afraid that I might need TRT. I live in SA, and I think this treatment is really difficult and expensive here.

• Height: 182cm

• Weight: 77,5 Kg

• Describe body and facial hair: I have little to no hair on my face and on my body.

• Describe where you carry fat and how changed: I carry fat mostly on my belly;

• Health conditions, symptoms [history]: I feel like crap most days, and for the most part of the day. I can’t think straight, feel confused, and can’t focus properly. I feel a lot of anxiety, I’m afraid of social interation, and feel really tired when going out of my comfort zone to try and talk to someone new. I already thought I could be depressed, before finding this forum. There are days I feel really sad, and no drive, no motivation to do anything. My libido is low, and even though I have an amazing girlfriend, I want to have sex with her no more than once per week. I feel really tired. My sleep isn’t the best. I feel irritaded easily, and I’m really nervous.

I also have constant bellyaches and diarrhea. I am lactose intolerant (found out earlier this year). I stopped eating anything with lactose, but I’m still getting bad every other week.

• Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever: Never

• Lab results with ranges:

TT: 328,6 ng/dL (167,0 - 854,0)
FT: 6,16 ng/dL (3,10 - 19,2)
Hydroxyvitamin D: 33,5 ng/mL (> 30)
Vitamin B12: 505,0 pg/mL (211 - 911)
Ferritin: 221,7 ng/mL (22 - 322)
TSH ultra sensitive: 1,808 µIU/mL (0,350 - 5,500)
free T4: 1,22 ng/dL (0,65 - 1,76)
Gama GT: 14 U/L (10 - 71)
IgA: 2,49 U/mL (negative: <12)

So yeah, that’s what she asked.

• describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets]: I’ve never done any starvation diet. My diet was made by a RD, and I always eat around maintenance.

• describe training [some ruin their hormones by over training]: I train 4 times per week in a PLP manner.

• testes ache, ever, with a fever? Not that I remember.

That’s it. If you guys need anything else, just ask me. I hope you can help me.

I wll tag @KSman to see my post.

Thank you all.

A lot of the symptoms you describe I also experienced when my T was low, constant bellyaches, diarrhea, poor sleep, no drive, social anxiety and depression. You’re missing a lot of necessary tests, SHBG one of them. SHBG is the best indication of how many injections per week you will require, too little and you won’t feel right. SHBG is the foundation for activating and regulating sex hormones, low and you need shots every other day or even daily. I’m not familiar with where SA is located, doesn’t sound like a state in the USA.

Thank you for your answer!

So, should I test for SHBG too? I thought just the TT and FT would be good for that. After reading the forum, I noticed she didn’t ask for E2 neither.

What else, besides those two?

Oh, I’m sorry. SA stands for South America haha. I live in Brazil.

I seriously doubt your country has either SHBG or male E2 testing which might explain why it wasn’t run in the first place. My advice is to read the sticky threads and learn as much as you can because doctors in your country are going to fall short in TRT knowledge and protocol for injections, they’re probably going to start you out on injections every 3-4 weeks which is insane since the half lives are way shorter than that.

Damn :confused:

I’ve read the stickies, but I’ll read them again cuz it’s a lot of information to grasp.

I can’t get the drugs needed without the doctor prescribing them.

Looking at those results, is trt the solution? I think my FT is low, close to the lowest end.

Can you post complete blood work? RBC, hematocrit, hemoglobin, MCV

T is low. Need to test these to find out why: LH, FSH and prolactin.

With digestive issues you might have some blood loss from your gut.
Blood work might clarify that.

TSH too high, should be closer to 1.0
Please check oral body temperatures as suggested below.
TSH can be low from not using iodized salt.

You need 4000-5000iu vit-D3 per day.

With thyroid issues and low-T, you might be suffering from over training fueled by Adrenalin when natural energy levels are low.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

I suspect past use of prohormones or other hormone distruptors. If this is the case tehn what you need os time to rcover, a clean diet, working out in a gym with intensity and regular sleeping pattern.

Thanks for your answer!

The blood work my endo asked me:

RBC: 5,27 millions/mm³ (4,5-6,5)
Hemoglobin: 15,8 g/dL (13,6-18,0)
Hematocrit: 47 % (40 - 56)
MCV: 90 fL (80-96)
HCM: 30 pg (28-33)
CHCM: 33,5 % (32-36)
RDW-CV: 12,3 % (12,2 - 14,6)

So I should test for LH, FSH, prolaction, E2 and SHBG before starting any treatment?

I will buy a thermometer to check my oral body temperatures, and then I’ll post here the results.

Iodized salt is pretty common here.

Thanks again, and I’ll post the results soon.

Thanks for your answer!

I’ve never used anything like that. I don’t know what you meant by hormone disruptors, but I’ve never used prohormones or steroids.

Don’t know what may have caused this, but I as said, I’m feeling like this for a really long time.

I measured my oral body temperature today in the morning, it was 36.6°C or 97.8°F.

I just came back from the Endo. She told me my results were fine and that there were no problems. She told me to take Vitergan Master. It’s a vitamin complex, with panax ginseng.

So yeah, I think I should look for another doctor, right?

Your doctor is wrong, those are great numbers if you’re 100 years old! I expected your doctors to fail you, their knowledge is severely limited in these third world countries! How can your doctor explain how our president who is 71 years old and TT of 446 ng have higher levels than a 24 year old, there’s no evolution of medicine in countries outside the USA.

So I went to a new doctor today. He told me my TT was low. He gave me Durateston 250mg IM with 3 ampoules, to take each 15 days, and one month from now I’ll have to test for TT, E2 and prolactin and go back to him.

He also told me it’s possible to make my body produce T again, and after this month, depending on the results, he will medicate me to make my body start producing T.

What do you guys think? @KSman

Thanks for the help!!

That doesn’t make any sense, the choice to go on TRT is a lifelong one, you don’t start injecting T and then stop it and go on something else. The only way you’ll jump start your own production of T is stopping TRT, then you will return to the hell you were in before TRT. Every 15 days doesn’t make sense either unless it’s similar to Sustanon. I don’t understand why these third world countries think they can re-invent the wheel and do it better than the USA.

Yeah, I don’t know what he meant by make my body produce T again, because I don’t think that’s possible.

I injected the first one yesterday around 3pm. I don’t know if it’s all in my mind, or a placebo effect, but today I didn’t feel really good, actually. Is it because E2? Or this is too early to the process of aromatization to start?

Estrogen peaks a bit slower than T and T peaks 24-48 hours after injection. You’re likely going to feel like crap for a while (weeks/months) and this may or may not be because of your E2 level. It will be because your HPTA will shut down in the days or weeks to come.

That doesn’t sound any good :confused:

After this first month taking Durateston, I’ll try to convice my doctor to give me the injections weekly, and for it to be SC too. I actually don’t know if he will give my T at all after, but it’s worth to try.

Unless your SHBG is high weekly injections is not ideal. Mid Range SHBG twice weekly on the low end EOD.