My Kid Got a 35 on the ACT

Not a Pol/World Issue but I’ll put it here anyway.

That is all.

That’s awesome, where is He/She applying? Career goals?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

That is all.[/quote]

And how much did you spend on the congratulatory vibrator?

That’s great! You must be proud.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

That is all.[/quote]

I got a 31 one it

okay I lied I got a

[quote]JK29 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

That is all.[/quote]
[/quote]

He wants to go to M.I.T., with the United States Naval Academy as a backup.

I like the second one because its free. :slight_smile:

[quote]anonym wrote:
And how much did you spend on the congratulatory vibrator?[/quote]

How about ME who got A* in electromagnetics. Anyway I don’t even know what is ACT and if 35 is good.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]JK29 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

That is all.[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

MIT undergrad is ridiculously competitive. I’m sure you’ve heard it all already, but there are many perfect SAT/ACT, 4.0 high school students who do not make it into MIT, and I’m not really convinced it’s a bad thing. I think it’s easier to differentiate yourself in college and you can go to a top level grad school much more easily than in undergrad.

I guess what I’m saying is I hope he understand that this gives him a solid shot, but he should also realize that not getting into MIT is in no way a statement about his potential. There are some high schools that churn out MIT students though. If there are many people in his school going there he has a much better chance it appears.

Those sound like really boring schools though, guess you gave him the old HH treatment proper. Just kidding, I’ve met a lot of MIT people in grad school and most of them are as cool as you could expect for someone from MIT :wink:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]JK29 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

That is all.[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The best advice I wish someone would have given me was to minimize debt in undergrad above (almost) all else. If he’s leaning towards M.I.T. for the engineering, there are a number of state schools with great programs at a much lower cost.

More importantly though, congratulations to him on doing so well! If he keeps up the same work ethic he’ll have a bright future ahead of him.

That is really fuckin incredible. I never took the ACT but I got a 2100 on the SAT 760 CR/620 M/720 W (Math will be the death of me), which I was quite satisfied with.

Congrats! If he gets into MIT and buckles down while he’s there, it should pay for whatever debt he has many times over. In fact, their financial aid is completely need-based. They calculate what you can afford to give and grant (and federal loan) you the rest. If the family income is below some threshold like $60K they just waive tuition completely. I went there (before the free tuition for po’ folk) and my folks only had to cover housing. I worked for food and spending money. It’s a great school where you are exposed to some amazingly brilliant people. It takes more than just great test scores to get in, hopefully he has some extracurriculars or something that makes him unique. They love diversity of interests, and they have enough qualified applicants to arbitrarily choose.

Congrats to you and your son. If he wants to do something in Science or Engineering, you should seriously encourage and push him to go to MIT. I went to an elite school and what I am doing now is something I could have done at a lesser school. However, I was a smart ass dipsh*t with cynical parents who maybe just did not support me the right way. I just did not apply myself to the best of my ability…

Anyway, I am doing really well for myself now but I had the chance to be a GOD and really make an impact on this world. I have friends who are doing big things like working at the Large Hadron Collider, and doing research with big time scientists solving real world problems on large scales. I totally regret not applying myself but my input is this: Kids from schools like MIT just have way bigger doors opened for them.

Ok nevermind the act is the one with the low numer

I was gonna tell you to shoot your kid in the chest at first because I was thinking
SAT

35 on an SAT should warrant death

I went to school with a girl who go a 9 on her ACT

Then a 12

Then she finished college in 3 years lol

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[/quote]

I went to MIT. Almost every student gets some sort of scholarship.

Boston/Cambridge really can’t be beat for school, althought it is pathetically liberal.

(MIT being the one bastion of non-red-diaper-bed wetters, although there are plenty there.)

What is his subscore breakdown? This will tell you more about his potential to get into MIT, especially if Math was his (relatively) weaker section. Getting an aggregate 34 on the quantitative sections versus 36 aggregate on the qualitative appears weaker to MIT/Caltech admissions than the reverse. They also place particular focus on GPA, course selection and extracurricular activities.

Regardless, assuming his fitness and GPA is in check, he’s on the right for USNA. Although I’d be remiss if I didn’t suggest USMA instead.

[quote]Vanagandr wrote:
That is really fuckin incredible. I never took the ACT but I got a 2100 on the SAT 760 CR/620 M/720 W (Math will be the death of me), which I was quite satisfied with.[/quote]

Back in MY day, we didn’t have no stink’n essay section.

[quote]Pigeon wrote:
Congrats! If he gets into MIT and buckles down while he’s there, it should pay for whatever debt he has many times over. In fact, their financial aid is completely need-based. They calculate what you can afford to give and grant (and federal loan) you the rest. If the family income is below some threshold like $60K they just waive tuition completely. I went there (before the free tuition for po’ folk) and my folks only had to cover housing. I worked for food and spending money. It’s a great school where you are exposed to some amazingly brilliant people. It takes more than just great test scores to get in, hopefully he has some extracurriculars or something that makes him unique. They love diversity of interests, and they have enough qualified applicants to arbitrarily choose. [/quote]

Pigeon, how did I know you would be in here, tell them about the MIT powerlifting team!

[quote]NAUn wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]JK29 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

That is all.[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

MIT undergrad is ridiculously competitive. I’m sure you’ve heard it all already, but there are many perfect SAT/ACT, 4.0 high school students who do not make it into MIT, and I’m not really convinced it’s a bad thing. I think it’s easier to differentiate yourself in college and you can go to a top level grad school much more easily than in undergrad.

I guess what I’m saying is I hope he understand that this gives him a solid shot, but he should also realize that not getting into MIT is in no way a statement about his potential. There are some high schools that churn out MIT students though. If there are many people in his school going there he has a much better chance it appears.

Those sound like really boring schools though, guess you gave him the old HH treatment proper. Just kidding, I’ve met a lot of MIT people in grad school and most of them are as cool as you could expect for someone from MIT :wink:
[/quote]

Yes, I know – only 15% of those with a 35 or 36 get admitted. They superscore so he’ll have a 36 for MIT and Navy, not that there’s much diff. He wants to be an engineer.

Great kid btw – working on Eagle Scout too. Very nice young man.

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:
What is his subscore breakdown? This will tell you more about his potential to get into MIT, especially if Math was his (relatively) weaker section. Getting an aggregate 34 on the quantitative sections versus 36 aggregate on the qualitative appears weaker to MIT/Caltech admissions than the reverse. They also place particular focus on GPA, course selection and extracurricular activities.

Regardless, assuming his fitness and GPA is in check, he’s on the right for USNA. Although I’d be remiss if I didn’t suggest USMA instead.

[/quote]

English 36, Math 35, Reading 34, Science 36. They superscore and he got a 36 in Reading on the other time he took the test, so he’ll have a 36 for them.

He needs a ‘hook’ to get in there, like volunteering a soup kitchen or similar.