My Journey to Becoming a U.S. Marine

Thanks for your approval mbarret6 I know a clean room sounds lame but for me its an important step towards the title of Marine
also like you said being neat will help me find specific gear in my trash at a moments notice which hopefully will stave off the kill hats

Dec 26
143 Days Till Boot Camp

Ran 1.5 Miles

Pullups 7 6 5 4 4

Pushups 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Situps 30

Dec 27
142 Days Till Boot Camp

Pullups 7 6 5 4 4

Pushups 10 10 10 10 10

Situps 30 30

No running today I took care of my 2 year old nephew all day and that was enough running for me

Dec 31
140 Days Till Boot Camp

Ran 3 Miles

Pullups 8 6 5 5 4

My pullup max is 12 so these lower reps are not that challenging but I have to say doing such a high volume of pullups has made my pullup quality improve alot. I used to just pull my chin to the bar and lower; lately and tonight I have been pulling up to my collar bones. This Recon Ron Program is great.

Jan 1
139 Days Till Boot Camp

Pullups 8 6 5 5 4

Pushups 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Situps 30 30 30

Towel Pullups 3 4 5

Jan 6
134 Days Till Boot Camp

Ran 1.5 Miles

I got a chance to leave early for Boot Camp
I would have left on Jan 5th
I declined because I don’t think I’m ready physically and that pisses me off
So I will not let that happen again and next time a chance comes up I will be ready

Jan 7
133 Days Till Boot Camp

Ran 1.5 Miles

Pullups 8 7 5 5 5

Situps 50 50 50 50

Pushups 20 20 20

Jan 7
133 Days Till Boot Camp

Poolee PT

Situps 50

Chinese Situps 50

2 Mile Motivational Run

Then a Circuit of 25
Donkey Kicks
Pushups
BW Squats

and finally we maxed on pullups
I did 11
which is near my old max when I was fresh so it’s safe to assume I’m going to shatter my old max this Sat

I know you may have wanted to leave early, but choosing to stay longer was a good idea. Its easy to get wrapped up with enthusiasm for joing the Corps; however, the mental edge that you gain while sticking around is very valuable. This will give you more time not only to prepare your body, but also your mind.

I’m not warning you or anything, well I am, but in all honesty if you are not 100% about joining the Marine Corps then don’t do it. You will hate the Corps if you cannot adapt. There is no shame in saying at any time during your DEP period that: “hey the Marine Corps is not for me… or not for me at this time”. Your recruiter may say WTF, but in the end you have the power.

But anyways, your log reflects that you are dedicated to getting fitter. Do you have a van or access to a truck, you could possibly get a tire from a local business or farm. Tire flipping etc. would be great metabolic work for you. Craiglist asking for tires in the automotive and farm sections works great. I did it at least…

I came to the same conclusion about staying longer mbarret6 because honestly I could have gone and I would have at least passed the PFT but I want to do better than that. So I’ve made the decision to just wait till May so I can be as prepared as possible when it comes time to ship and not just physically buy also mentally.

I’ve looked into getting a tire before and found a place that has old tractor tires I just never went to get one. I own a lot of implements that could really improve my anabolic capacity I just haven’t been using them because I’ve been focusing on running.

My original goal was to consistently run for a month and then introduce things likes sled pulling, wheelbarrow walks, sledgehammer swings etc into my conditioning routine which I plan on starting next week.

I am 100% dedicated to the Corps and to becoming a United States Marine and although it will be a vastly different lifestyle than the one I’m accustomed to I am willing to do anything and change in every way to fulfill the tasks given to me by the Marine Corps and to be the best Marine I can be for my God, my Country, my Corps, my family, and myself.

Jan 8
132 Days Till Boot Camp

Pullups 8 6 5 5 5

Swam
8 laps freestyle
8 laps breaststroke

sir.

you have made good progress. with the pullups especially, and as a big man i know that can be hard. may i suggest training before bedtime if you are still interested in losing weight.

and with the fast food, i recently bought a six pack of protein bars and put them in my car. they were only 6.23 for the whole box and got 'em from walmart. keeps me from getting double cheeseburgers… for now.

i’ll be keeping tabs. keep up the good work. you have all the tools and the heart just make sure you know that and you’ll be fine.

Thank you very much
draperdontplay

I appreciate the advice on the nutrition
I’m not sure if I’m concerned about losing weight or not I just want do well on the PFT and be a physically capable Marine I just don’t want to be skinny and weak
You know what I mean

Thanks again for the support

Jan 9
131 Days Till Boot Camp

Today I’m resting since I have my IST tomorrow
and I’ll find out my new crunch, pullup and 1.5 mile time.

okay autry, sorry i won’t call u devil dog yet cause u haven’t earned it…im a Marine as well… been in six years, and been deployed twice, im currently in iraq, anyways…just know this, all that shit will come while ur in bootcamp. Trust me.

Your recruiter might have said that u have to be right under ur max weight, but try to be about 10lbs under or you’ll be a diet recruit. The sleep, well you’ll get fucked with trust me. Anyways, if you can get 20 pullups and 100 crunches then you can run about a 22 and still be good… GOOD LUCK bro…

way to be gung ho with the fitness stuff. there will always be those people that say that you don’t need to worry and that you have plenty of time, but if you want to be “the best of the best of the best, sir!” then i hope that water rolls right off your back. if you just do one more of something everyday that will be over five months of going 101% every day.

and because we know each other outside of T-Nation i went all the way with this one. if you start with going 101 percent day one, then after five months you end up at 444.8 times the effort you put in the first day.

holy freakin’ gord.

well, i guess it’s technically 4.48 times the effort. whatever though.

Thanks severed for the advice

I know that my PT will improve dramatically while I’m at boot camp but I want to be better than the average recruit when I get there
I have 130 days till boot and I might as well use them wisely to improve myself in every way possible so that I can start out ahead of the game not behind it

I agree with you about the PFT score
I know I’ll be able to do 20 pullups and 100 crunches
It’s just the run I’m concerned about and I hope to get around at least a 22 min 3 mile which would be a good time for me and my body style

draperdontplay
Those are my thoughts exactly
If I improve just a little everyday then I can be 3 or 4 times better than where I am now by the time I leave if not more
I have an opportunity to serve in the
United States Marine Corps and I am going to give every ounce of myself so that I can meet the challenge of becoming a Marine and then be able to handle anything the Corps requires of me

Jan 10
130 Days Till Boot Camp

IST (Initial Strength Test)

Pullups 14

Crunches 62

1.5 Mile Run 11:32

I am pretty pissed about my performance today
As far as pullups I should have gotten at least 16 maybe 17. I think this might have to do with the fact that I maxed pullups twice this week during group PT. I didn’t want to max but I do what I’m told so I think that maybe hindered my performance today.
As far as the crunches go I have no excuse and clearly I haven’t put enough effort in this area.
The run I actually improved on but I’m still pissed because I want to do better.
My last IST I ran a 13:12 1.5 Mile so I shaved off about a 1:45

Overall I’m dissatisfied with my IST and will do better next month.

Hey man dont beat yourself up. I ship 21 June 2009, so I know how you feel about wanting to be above average at boot camp. Just keeping working hard and you will meet your goals. But, don’t get down on yourself to bad if you don’t do what you think you are capable of, just work harder. I like the log, good job, keep it up.

Hey Thanks alot USMCpoolee

I know I’m improving I just want to be better now. I beat my self up a little bit but I do try and look at it from the big picture that if i stay consistent I’ll get to where I need to be.

I’m under a UH contract which is Infantry
I hope to get 0311 or 0331
What is you job field and what MOS do you want?