T Nation

My Journey to 10%

I am following a cutting plan from the 22nd of March for 5-6 weeks.
I plan to use a carb cycling approach which i will outline later.

Some stats:
Height: 6ft 2
Weight: 212lbs
Years training: 3
Bodyfat: estimate at 15-16%
Bench: 1x140
Squat: 200x1
Deadlift: 210x3 (not tested 1rm)

I am starting this thread as I have tried previously to cut body-fat and failed due to lack of motivation. I decided that starting a thread on here in which i will post photos on a weekly basis will hopefully help me maintain the drive to keep going.

Weekly breakdown:
Week 1: 1 high carb, 4 mod carb, 2 low carb
Week 2: same
Week 3: 1 high carb, 3 mod carb, 3 low carb
Week 4: 4 mod carb, 3 low carb
Week 5: 3 mod carb, 4 low carb

High day: 200g carbs, 350g protein, 60g fat
Mod day: 75g carbs, 350g protein, 110g fat
Low day: trace carbs, 240g protein, 110g fat

I really hope you are mixing lbs (for your BW) and kg (for your lifts) in your OP!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I really hope you are mixing lbs (for your BW) and kg (for your lifts) in your OP![/quote]

That might be the case. Is it even legal to use that type of measurement in England? The non-uniformity might cause some cerebral hemorrhages.

Quick mental math suggests you want to lose about 2-ish lbs per week, maybe a bit more. So, keep your chin up! I had some pretty good success cycling carbs, but it was for lepton manipulation so it started with low carbs then ramped up to a normal carb cycling schedule. Though, I can see taking out the carbs as you advance to ensure continued weight loss. Whatever gets results.

Yea, sorry about that. I always consider my weight in lbs as its easier to follow the standard calculations for protein and calories and yes lifts are all in kg. Am i being ambitious in expecting this sort of reduction in body-fat in this amount of time?

Also, i thought i would outline the actual diet to see what you guys think:

Moderate carbs:

Meal 1: 40g protein, 20g fat (venison or beef + large bowl of lettuce and cucumber)
Meal 2: 40g protein, 20g fat (Metabolic Drive, 40g almonds)
Meal 3: 40g protein, 20g fat (scrambled eggs, chicken breast + large bowl of lettuce and cucumber)
Meal 4: 40g protein, 20g fat (Metabolic Drive, flaxseed)
Meal 5: 40g protein, 20g fat (venison or beef + large bowl of steamed green veg)
Meal 6: 40g protein, 20g fat (Metabolic Drive, 40g almonds)

Workout-90: Choline Bitartrate, L-Tyrosine
Workout-30: 75g dextrose, Hydrolysed Whey Protein, Whey protein
Workout-20: 500ml of Citrulline Malate, Beta-Alanine, BCAA, Hydrolysed Whey Protein, Whey protein, Glutamine, creatine monohydrate
Workout-10: 500ml of same
During workout: rest of blend

In total this provides: 110g protein, 75g carbs. I’ve basically tried to get a close to the anaconda protocol with the ingredients i can get my hands on. Im hoping it will help me retain muscle mass throughout the diet.

High carbs:
meals 2 and 4-6 are the same
breakfast: 75g carbs, 40g protein, trace fats: (oats, berries, chicken)
meal 3 or post-workout meal: 50g carbs, 40g protein (whole-meal bread, tuna/chicken, oats, fruit

Low days: all meals are the same, i dont train so no carbs other than trace carbs

Also, im adding leucine to some of the shakes and in some of the para-workout drinks. Total at around 15-20g per day

iv also decided to front load my meals. I.e Meal 1 will consist of 60g protein and 10g fat and Meal 6 will be 20g and 10g. Picky i know but i’ve done some more reading and have decided i would apply the info.

Sounds very similar to me in stats and approach. definitely looking forward to following your progress over the next 5-6 weeks. Cheers

[quote]jonny142 wrote:
iv also decided to front load my meals. I.e Meal 1 will consist of 60g protein and 10g fat and Meal 6 will be 20g and 10g. Picky i know but i’ve done some more reading and have decided i would apply the info. [/quote]

Why did you decide to do this?

I don’t see a benefit, and even if there is one it’s likely to be so small as to not be worth worrying about.

Then again, it probably won’t hurt you, so there’s no reason you can’t experiment. It just seems an odd think to be concerned with at this point.

HK24719 wrote:
Why did you decide to do this?

I don’t see a benefit, and even if there is one it’s likely to be so small as to not be worth worrying about.

Then again, it probably won’t hurt you, so there’s no reason you can’t experiment. It just seems an odd think to be concerned with at this point.

I agree that it seems totally irrelevant at this point and yes it is likely that the benefit will be small. My reason for making the change is simply that i’ve read a lot about front loading calories during the first part of the day. Im simply making tweaks here and there and seeing what works. What i have written above is not set in stone, i will make changes as the diet progresses as i feel that this is probably the most important factor that will help me succeed. However, thanks for the advice, the main reason i’m writing in the thread is to learn what i’m doing wrong and take others’ opinions on board.

I’ve heard and had success with front loading carbs. And I usually make the last meal of the day the smallest. So I see what you are getting at. But if you want to lose weight fast, every little bit counts.

[quote]blake2616 wrote:
I’ve heard and had success with front loading carbs. And I usually make the last meal of the day the smallest. So I see what you are getting at. But if you want to lose weight fast, every little bit counts.

I’ve also heard this. The basis for my decision was that i have read that making the last meal small is a factor many people overlook as is in fact very important, as you say, for rapid fat loss.

Ok so i’m starting on monday, going to get food and fish oil tommorow in preparation. I thought i would now outline how im training. It is controversial and many of you may disagree but im going to be following the I,Bodybuilder program throughout the 5 weeks. My reasons for this are as follows. Firstly, It seems to be a very effective program for adding muscle so it will hopefully provide sufficient stimulus to retain muscle. Secondly, I am 3 weeks into phase 1 and i have noted that it does cause an increase in metabolism and appetite, equally i havnt been eating well at all over the period and i am leaner than when i started (down from 15% to 14% using calipers). The only constant in my diet was a para-protocol very similar to that described above. Finally feel that i may be possible that i retain/add a small amount of size/strength for the following reasons:

1. Im at university and I find it hard to get a lot of protein day in day out, i will be at home and consuming 340g most days on the diet.
  2. I am consuming 110g protein and 75g carbs para-workout along with other aiding supplements.
  3. Before I,Bodybuilder I was training using TBT for 3 months, i feel that i can only respond positively to the higher volume.
  4. I have read several coaches, including CT, say that body-part spec. is the only real way to gain during a diet phase. I figured that I,BB is probably one of the best body-part spec programs out there at the minute.

Ok, officially started this morning. I know its only 2 meals but this is just to mark the start of the 5 weeks. So far ive eaten:
7:15:- 200g venison, 1 tbsp olive oil, cucumber, spinach, celery, 1 large green tea, 6g fish oil, 3 Thermopure caps, 1 liter of water
10:00:- 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, almonds

Mate you’re at york right I think I see you at the david lloyds gym? Nothing really to say but best of luck with this and I’ll keep trying to be at your numbers soon…

@Bambi
Yea i am, think we’ve done deadlifts together? Hows training going?

Ok, rest of the day:

11:30am- started my para-workout protocol (see above)
trained at 1:00pm (full body)
5:30pm- (was pretty full from protocol, its a lot of liquid): 3 omega 3 eggs, 100g chicken, half a cucumber, 10g fish oil
7:30pm- 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 1 tbsp olive oil
9:00pm- im having 2 ground beef burgers, pile of green veg
before bed- 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 40g walnuts, ZMA

I took photos this morning will upload asap

Hahaha yes that was me man it was depressing you doing reps with 200 and I was struggling up to 140. Only about 4 people deadlift at that gym though the rest just use the platform for curls…

Back home at Edinburgh, weight going up, reps going up, food intake going up. All good my man

Day 2: 23rd March.

7:30am: Metabolic Drive, 1 tbsp olive oil, coffee, vid d caps, 6g fish oil
10:00: 250g venison sausages, little gem lettuce, half a cucumber, 6g fish oil, 3 thermopure caps
started protocol at 12:00, trained at 1:30 (shoulder spec. session)
3:45pm: 3 omega 3 eggs, 100g chicken, 10g fish oil, 500ml ice water

rest of the day:
6:00pm: 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 40g almonds
8:00pm: 3 x 400m sprints
9:00pm: 2 ground beef burgers, steamed green veg, diet soft drink
before bed: 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 30g walnuts

Day 2: 23rd March.

7:30am: Metabolic Drive, 1 tbsp olive oil, coffee, vid d caps, 6g fish oil
10:00: 250g venison sausages, little gem lettuce, half a cucumber, 6g fish oil, 3 thermopure caps
started protocol at 12:00, trained at 1:30 (shoulder spec. session)
3:45pm: 3 omega 3 eggs, 100g chicken, 10g fish oil, 500ml ice water

rest of the day:
6:00pm: 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 40g almonds
8:00pm: 3 x 400m sprints
9:00pm: 2 ground beef burgers, steamed green veg, diet soft drink
before bed: 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 30g walnuts

Also, heres how the rest of the weeks looking

Wednesday: full body, no cardio, mod carb
Thursday: shoulder spec, HIIT cardio, mod carb
Friday: no training, 45 min jog, low carb
Saturday: cant train on sunday so training twice, shoulder spec and full body, high carb
Sunday: total rest: low carb

Day 3: 24th march

Woke up late this morning, felt a little fatigued from sprints etc yesterday. I have noticed reduced muscle pain compared to normal from my sessions, this is the opposite to what i expected. Might be the protocol or just that i’m eating more protein than i’ve been used to. Today i woke up at 8:30 and i’m gunna train at around 4pm, later than id like.

9:00am: 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 1 tbsp olive oil
10:30am: large coffee, 500ml of water, 4 vit d caps, 4 thermopure caps, 6g fish oil
12:00pm: 250g venison sausage, handful salad, half a cucumber, 2tbsp of low fat ceasar dressing, large green tea, 6g fish oil

Im going to have:
2:15: 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 40g almonds
2:45: start protocol
4:00-5:15: train
6:00: 3 omega 3 eggs, 100g chicken, lettuce, 6g fish oil
8:00: 2 ground beef burgers, large pile of steamed green veg
before bed: 40g almonds, 2 scoops Metabolic Drive