T Nation

My Job is Driving Me Nuts

One more day reading a god damn spec.
One more hour sitting in front of this computer
One more minute sitting at this damn desk.
And one more friken form or one more pile of god damn bullshit paperwork I have to file.

I swear to god I just want to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not dish out 60 grand for an engineering degree to let my brain rot.

If it isn't the work that is driving me crazy from boredom, its the people around here who are borderline autistic and cannot carryout a casual conversation.

I want to quit so bad, but I know that would be an impulsive decision. I hate this job so much I almost want to get out of the entire engineering field. The money isn't worth it.

/end rant

The best time to look for a new job is when you have one.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
The best time to look for a new job is when you have one. [/quote]

This.

I was in a similar situation - job satisfaction was nil, co-workers were dum dums, it was affecting my personal life negatively, so I started looking for a new job, found one (with an 18% pay increase which was niiiiice), and have been kickin’ ass ever since, figuratively speaking of course. I haven’t actually fought anyone, just am significantly happier and didn’t miss a beat as far as pay periods went.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
And one more friken form or one more pile of god damn bullshit paperwork I have to file.

I swear to god I just want to scream!!!

If it isn’t the work that is driving me crazy from boredom, its the people around here who are borderline autistic and cannot carryout a casual conversation.

I want to quit so bad, but I know that would be an impulsive decision. I hate this job so much I almost want to get out of the entire engineering field. The money isn’t worth it.

/end rant[/quote]

You’re twenty-five. Plenty young enough to learn a new skill, find a new career, hell, reinvent yourself completely if you feel like it.

Do it.

You can always make more money.

You can’t get more life.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

I swear to god I just want to scream!!!

If it isn’t the work that is driving me crazy from boredom, its the people around here who are borderline autistic and cannot carryout a casual conversation.

I want to quit so bad, but I know that would be an impulsive decision. I hate this job so much I almost want to get out of the entire engineering field. The money isn’t worth it.

/end rant[/quote]

Sounds like you just graduated college and are now experiencing what we like to call “the real world”.

Welcome.

Protip: I’m 35, love my career, my wife & kids, but still miss college at least 3 or 4 times a week.

I was once like you. I was making about 54k/yr as a “project engineer” at a small company of about 150 people. The owner was a control freak, my boss was an idiot who worked only at that company for his whole carrier. My boss had pinhole vision, not even tunnel vision. I remember one time he couldnt even answer a question about an 80ft run of 3" pipe being bent at a height of 1.5ft across the 80ft so he had to ask the VP.

I spent my time filling out a lot of paperwork…construction forms for ordering equipment, reviwing spec sheets and proposals. The project i had when i left was a municipal facility job which was laden with a giant spec. It was libraian type wirk and my boss seemed to get a thrill when i would no dot an i or cross a t on a form.

Everyone at the company had a nervous twitch, they were cowards who lacked the confidence to go find a better place to work, everyone hated it there (except my boss, the vp and the owner). They were not receptive to ideas and better ways of doing things…“as long as you work here you have to do it the owners way” there was little work to do. The project engineering dept had 4 engineers when it really needed only 2.

I was never really challenged in an engineering sense,I was getting dumber by the day, i felt that there was a timer ticking away every second and if i didnt find another job i would be stuck at that fucking place for my whole career.

5 months of looking for a job and i found one. A dirty high volume machine shop. A boss who is 3 years older than me, who had gone through 4 promotions. Based on that i knew this place would recognize my hard work. With a little bit of talking i got my pay to a 15% increase over my previous job.

There are so many problems and work that needs to be done at my current job, and THEY LOOK TO ME to help solve the problems. I put in 45+ hrs a week, and i just now got a $5k raise cause i have been helping them save a lot of money…,after only 7 mo.

Structural design
Mechanisms
Capability studies
Statistics
Heat treating and material science
Machining and machine tooling
Testing and prototyping
Training programs being deveoped by me
Lean manufacturing principles
Real world problems

This is all on my plate, i am incredibly busy and i love it. The responsibility and accountability is huge. The freedom and sense of accomplishement and duty are there everyday. I love it.

And all it took was a job interview

So go do it, TAKE CONTROL of your carrier and your future. No one with an engineering degree deserves to be stuck at a job like your and my old job. You need to be out there helping companies solve problems, and save money. 36% of your waking life is spent at your job, it better be a place that you enjoy to some degree;

What you do
Who you do it with
How much money you do it for

You need 2/3 of the above to be happy

Ive got 14 months until my lease expires. That is plenty of time to job hunt. My goal is by July 1st of 2016 I will have a new position lined up with a job I enjoy, in a larger city or in a warmer climate. I was thinking alternative energy with a small company, but am looking into business analytics too. I am still doubting staying in engineering though - I love the field but there are so many people that just have no social skills or a sense of humor (Dilbert is obnoxious but scarily true).

I started reading Steve Pavlina’s blog on self help, finding purpose and goal setting/achieving. I really like a lot of the stuff he has written so far, but I have also read he got kind of kooky after he divorced his wife. I can tell you he asks a lot of good questions that require self reflection and introspection.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Ive got 14 months until my lease expires. That is plenty of time to job hunt. My goal is by July 1st of 2016 I will have a new position lined up with a job I enjoy, in a larger city or in a warmer climate. I was thinking alternative energy with a small company, but am looking into business analytics too. I am still doubting staying in engineering though - I love the field but there are so many people that just have no social skills or a sense of humor (Dilbert is obnoxious but scarily true).

I started reading Steve Pavlina’s blog on self help, finding purpose and goal setting/achieving. I really like a lot of the stuff he has written so far, but I have also read he got kind of kooky after he divorced his wife. I can tell you he asks a lot of good questions that require self reflection and introspection. [/quote]

Where are you located? What field of engineering? An engineering degree can open up a lot of other opportunities outside of the consulting world, especially for those with some interpersonal skills.

1. I am in New England about 90 minutes from NYC or Boston. Currently I work in defense.
  2. My background is in aeronautical engineering, I’ve got a few years of UAV design experience from a team I was on during undergrad. I don’t work in aeronautics or avaiation right now.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

1. I am in New England about 90 minutes from NYC or Boston. Currently I work in defense.
  2. My background is in aeronautical engineering, I’ve got a few years of UAV design experience from a team I was on during undergrad. I don’t work in aeronautics or avaiation right now.
    [/quote]

Connecticut or Western Mass? And you don’t love the winter we just had? c’mon bro :slight_smile:

I went to school way further up north the winter wasn’t that bad compared to -10F through most of December and January I’m used too :slight_smile:

Ct btw.

Yeah, work sucks. I’m more cut out for being a millionaire playboy.

Check out job oppurtunities at Bell Helicopter in Piney Flats, TN. We have great weather, NASCAR, SEC Football, TVA lakes so everyone can have a boat. Town or country life.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
Yeah, work sucks. I’m more cut out for being a millionaire playboy.[/quote]

truth, it’s good work if you can find it.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

Ct btw.[/quote]

I’m sorry, truly. Your taxes are ass raping and I hope you aren’t fond of your 2nd amendment rights…

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

Ct btw.[/quote]

I’m sorry, truly. Your taxes are ass raping and I hope you aren’t fond of your 2nd amendment rights… [/quote]

Yeah! CT we got nutmeg. I understand your frustration on the job front. A lot of companies still have recession thinking and don’t feel they need to show people any value because they’re afraid to leave. As other people have said, you’re young, this is one stop on a long journey.

Let me tell you a fucking story:

I wanted to be an engineer too and I studied my ass off to be the first or second highest achieving student in my program.

After working in an engineering office, I quickly realized FUCK THIS, I would rather keep my testicles thank you.

Quit and am currently working for minimum wage while I work towards finding a completely different and more exciting career.

Happy as fuck about my decision, best thing I ever did.

OP,
It sounds like a big company may not be what works for
you. It’s easy to get bored and become just a number in that
situation.As previous poster said, look for a smaller company
that is doing some cool work. Central Florida is boooming right
now especially on the coast and Engineers are highly sought
after. Get into a job where you get to do design and development
work and you will most certainly not be bored.