T Nation

My Introduction Thread

Hey everyone. Just a little background on me. I'm a 20 year old college student. I played football in high school and obviously I lifted for that. I stopped lifting when I graduated, however, and went over 2 years without touching a weight or doing anything athletic. Needless to say, I wasted away to nothing.

Last year I decided that I wanted to try to walk onto my college football team, which is a D1-A school. I took the next 9 months trying to get as big, strong, and fast as possible. I gained over 20 lbs during that time and significantly improved on all my lifts. It turns out after all that, my team didn't need anyone for my position (receiver and db), only linemen.

They are having walk on tryouts again in January and I have set a new goal for myself to gain enough size and strength that I could play a position like linebacker if I have to. I'm also going to focus on keeping my speed so that I can still play something like safety or receiver.

Sorry for all this rambling. Here are my stats from when I started and where I'm at now. I'll also post a before and after pic in the next two posts.

Stats from January:
5'11
175 lbs
Bench: 225x2
Squat: 275x6
Deadlift: 315x3

Current stats:
5'11 still (damn lol)
195 lbs
Bench: 225x11, 315x1
Squat: 315x8
Deadlift: 485x1

So my goal for January is to get up to 215 lbs and significantly improve all my lifts again. Looking at the roster of our team, all the starting linebackers weigh between 210-230, so I think this would be a decent size considering I'm not too tall. I also think that I could maintain enough speed that if they do need receivers and dbs, I could simply drop a few pounds to around 205 and play one of those positions.

"Before" pic - Jan. '07 175 lbs

"After" pic - June '07 192 lbs. This one's about two months old, I've only gained about 3 lbs since this one was taken. I think that my bodyfat has lowered slightly though.

nice progress keep it up

ditto.