T Nation

My Home Gym Needs a Building


#1

So I live in a new place and have everything to set up a gym minus the building-room-garage-tent to setup all my gear. And by gear I am talking, bar, rack, bike, rower, and the like. Something to do with making a better life for the family, and Priorities for having to get a house with land vs house with garage and no land. So short of setting up everything outside uncovered for prying eyes, the solution is simple: I need to Build.

Building laws are practically none where I am at and can get away with anything, except harsh winters. Money is tight and everything will be DIY. Clearly for the weights, I cant do a wood/raised foundation (like a shed) and am willing to just have a lantern for light and dirt/lime floor with mats. Cold I do not care about, just a need to protect my gear from rain.

The box stores are such a rip-off and I am looking at cheapest rout to take (thinking plywood, and 2x4s or even pole and tarp carport) for just a few years till funds build back up so I can make a proper garage with a concrete foundation.

Any thoughts on easy methods to build and get my stuff out of my trailer and back to training? I am finding my biggest hurdle is the height of my 9foot power rack and possible canvas carports.


#2

I clicked on this thread because I read your name as “Crotchless”.

Sorry I can’t be more help. :frowning:


#3

How bad are the winters? Just build a frame out of pvc pipe and cover it with a waterproof tarp. When you build your proper gym the kids have a ready made fort!


#4

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I clicked on this thread because I read your name as “Crotchless”.

Sorry I can’t be more help. :([/quote]

LMAO! As if his name WAS Crotcless, you’d have a wealth of information at hand?


#5

Unless you live in a desert/tundra where there is little precipitation, I wouldn’t be too keen on having floor mats on dirt when it’s raining out.
Even if you’re going to do something on the cheap, do it right, building an 8x8 platform with particle board floor doesn’t cost that much. I’m thinking maybe a couple of hundred bucks for materials, probably less if you know any contractors and can get some scrap. Also you would want the platform elevated and level.

Another idea, although I’m not very keen on it, would be to find some pallets and put them together. I’m thinking this would probably take an afternoon if you have all your materials in place.
Either way, don’t be too cheap with it, you can turn it into a makeshift patio when you get a better set-up.


#6

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I clicked on this thread because I read your name as “Crotchless”.

Sorry I can’t be more help. :([/quote]

LMAO! As if his name WAS Crotcless, you’d have a wealth of information at hand?[/quote]

No wealth of information, just wanted to request some pictures!


#7

I agree with Matty about the dirt floor. I think you’re going to want to pour a concrete slab for this. Put down plywood over the concrete, and then stall mats over the plywood. If skimping, skip the plywood.

You also will probably want to dig a trench so that you can run electrical to the outbuilding… you’re going to want light and to be able to set up an oil-filled radiator. You say you can deal with the cold, but if you really have harsh winters you are just asking to get injured, even with a good warmup. You might also want a ceiling fan for the summer. I have no idea how extreme your temperatures are. Make sure you have high enough ceilings for overhead work, and a good roof to keep rain out; otherwise your equipment will rust and you’ll be unhappy. If you do it all yourself, this is probably going to be 2-3K.


#8

Not sure if this would be suitable either, but instead of pouring concrete, what about those tiles, I think they’re like 30"x30", those might be adequate support, put some down under them, pack it real good.


#9

IF money is tight, then I’m going to have to disagree with posters that say you need to pour a slap.

Just level the ground out. Since this is el cheapo, use hand tools. Buy some crusher run…very fine gravel. Then get a truck load of sawdust from a mill. It will make a pretty good floor with compaction. Old carpet or fake turf makes a good floor also.

Buy your lumber salvage or better yet find someone with building that needs to be torn down. Tear it down and put it back up on your place.

You can find building material on craigslist sometimes for free.


#10

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I clicked on this thread because I read your name as “Crotchless”.

Sorry I can’t be more help. :([/quote]

LMAO! As if his name WAS Crotcless, you’d have a wealth of information at hand?[/quote]

No wealth of information, just wanted to request some pictures![/quote]

lmfao


#11

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I clicked on this thread because I read your name as “Crotchless”.

Sorry I can’t be more help. :([/quote]

LMAO! As if his name WAS Crotcless, you’d have a wealth of information at hand?[/quote]

No wealth of information, just wanted to request some pictures![/quote]


#12

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
IF money is tight, then I’m going to have to disagree with posters that say you need to pour a slap.

Just level the ground out. Since this is el cheapo, use hand tools. Buy some crusher run…very fine gravel. Then get a truck load of sawdust from a mill. It will make a pretty good floor with compaction. Old carpet or fake turf makes a good floor also.[/quote]

This is a good idea, but you’d probably need to put in drainage, unless you frame out the whole area so that the gravel is sitting on top of the ground. In my area, I could have enough crusher delivered for under $200. I’d still rather have a slab.

I suggest you carefully consider how much space you want. If you have a lot of land, I would err on the side of too much room. The size of what is sold as a large shed would be enough to hold your equipment, but not enough to move things around easily. Nothing wrecks a budget like realizing you have to start from scratch or make fixes to compensate for poor planning.


#13

[quote]nephorm wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
IF money is tight, then I’m going to have to disagree with posters that say you need to pour a slap.

Just level the ground out. Since this is el cheapo, use hand tools. Buy some crusher run…very fine gravel. Then get a truck load of sawdust from a mill. It will make a pretty good floor with compaction. Old carpet or fake turf makes a good floor also.[/quote]

This is a good idea, but you’d probably need to put in drainage, unless you frame out the whole area so that the gravel is sitting on top of the ground. In my area, I could have enough crusher delivered for under $200. I’d still rather have a slab.

I suggest you carefully consider how much space you want. If you have a lot of land, I would err on the side of too much room. The size of what is sold as a large shed would be enough to hold your equipment, but not enough to move things around easily. Nothing wrecks a budget like realizing you have to start from scratch or make fixes to compensate for poor planning.[/quote]

Agreed. Drainage is going to be crucial.


#14

Well thanks for all the input. After getting some better ideas and doing more research, i am looking towards a pole barn with plans to do a concrete floor foundation when able to do so. In Alaska, I am sure I can get into falling some good trees and using them for my main vertical support. Then for the walls its only a matter of covering up the area so I will add t1-11 or just rip some boards & craigslist it and work my way up for my siding. Should be able to get on metal roof before snow fall. And ill just do a basic wood stove for my heat.

As for the rest of you neanderthals- you seem like the types who only do arm curls when at the squat rack.


#15

[quote]Crutchless wrote:

As for the rest of you neanderthals- you seem like the types who only do arm curls when at the squat rack.[/quote]

Yes, but I’m allowed. I have a nice home gym.


#16

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I clicked on this thread because I read your name as “Crotchless”.

Sorry I can’t be more help. :([/quote]

LMAO! As if his name WAS Crotcless, you’d have a wealth of information at hand?[/quote]

No wealth of information, just wanted to request some pictures![/quote]

hahaha!