T Nation

My Hero

www.pudzian.pl/

Which makes me wonder, why don’t we have Americans that can compete in the Strong Man? I have seen Americans get their ass kicked in the strong man, but that is about it. So if we have the best shit and the most knowledge, why are all the strong man winners from Poland, Sweden, Iceland, etc.? Anyhow, this dude is my favorite strongman ever. He’s a bad ass.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
www.pudzian.pl/

Which makes me wonder, why don’t we have Americans that can compete in the Strong Man? I have seen Americans get their ass kicked in the strong man, but that is about it. So if we have the best shit and the most knowledge, why are all the strong man winners from Poland, Sweden, Iceland, etc.? Anyhow, this dude is my favorite strongman ever. He’s a bad ass.[/quote]

This is just an idea from left field, but maybe its because America is a big melting pot. If you are a 100% Iceland, I bet you have a big chance of being a huge dude. If you have a mix of ancestors from different countries and some of them are from a “weaker” origin, it might get passed down the gene pool.

Again, this is just a thought.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
pat36 wrote:
www.pudzian.pl/

Which makes me wonder, why don’t we have Americans that can compete in the Strong Man? I have seen Americans get their ass kicked in the strong man, but that is about it. So if we have the best shit and the most knowledge, why are all the strong man winners from Poland, Sweden, Iceland, etc.? Anyhow, this dude is my favorite strongman ever. He’s a bad ass.

This is just an idea from left field, but maybe its because America is a big melting pot. If you are a 100% Iceland, I bet you have a big chance of being a huge dude. If you have a mix of ancestors from different countries and some of them are from a “weaker” origin, it might get passed down the gene pool.

Again, this is just a thought. [/quote]

Interesting theory, but in dogs for instance, a mixed breed or a “mutt” usually has a larger chance of defeating illness and is generally more resilent than it’s “pure bred” counterpart.

Genetic diversity might be a good thing.

Of course I do see your point. If you got straight up viking blood hard to beat that haha!

Oh and pudzianowski is Polish so all hail the Winged Hussars.

Perhaps it has to do with the popularity and support you get from those other country’s.

Also our best athletes are busy making googoogazillions of dollars playing other sports and fucking horrendously beautiful groupies. (well with the exception of Kobe- apparently he likes to go slumming).

There is just something in the water in Europe. Look at the German in the IFBB… Ruhl, Gunther…

I can speak for my own that yes we have a World Strongest man in North America, it’s just not in the US.

I’m talking about Hugo Girard from my province, Quebec.

Poles are very well known for being big motherfuckers.

Which makes me wonder how in the hell did they get overtaken by germany? Germans are like big walking levers waiting for you to give them some rotational momentum. Perhaps Poles need to be a bit brighter.

Poles are like wide oaks - you’d better intend to saw them off the fuckin floor if you want to knock them out.

Clearly, Pudzian and the Pope bring good reputation to the pole people. I wonder, however, did the pope condone steroid usage? Perhaps we have another runner-up for the papacy from poland 30 years from now.

The biggest strongest dudes in the USA play american football. If some of these guys were raised to compete in strong man competitions I think the US could have a contender from time to time.

There just hasn’t been a Brian Oldfield or Bill Kazmier for awhile.

Who says Americans have ‘the best shit and the most knowlege?’

Alot of our training ‘secrets’ came from the old Russian blocks and Germans.
Bulgaria is wel known for producing Olympic powerhouses.

They also may have better pharmacists than th US, just because of laws and regulations.

It also may be interest. The biggest and strongest are doing something else. How would a Ronnie C’s strength translate to strongman competition? I think the guys name is Mark Henry–he is a monster. Garry Frank another WI-ite is very strong, but how would he do in this competition.

Just thoughts

Other countries don’t hqve the bullsh*t laws we do. Quality pharmacuticuls definately make a difference. Most Eastern Block athletes have the chemical makeup of beef cattle.

Better Living Through Chemistry!

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
I think the guys name is Mark Henry–he is a monster. Garry Frank another WI-ite is very strong, but how would he do in this competition.

Just thoughts[/quote]

Also, Bob Sapp is a big guy, too.

I’m sure there are some NFL and even college fullbacks and linemen that would be top-tier strongmen if they put forth the time to work on it. However, freaky-strong America athletes would rather be average football players than world-class strongmen. It’s just not something then even enters their mind over here.

Mark Henry won it only a few years ago, but he doesn’t need to or have to compete every year since he has a 6 figure contract with WWE.

On another note, How could a man who is athletic enough to slam dunk be such a hideous wrestler? The guy, after 7 years, is still putrid in the ring.

Then again Arcidi, Kaz, Swenson,etc were also beyond horrible in the ring.

The only strongmen who’ve had good wrestling careers would be ken patera and doug furnas.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
www.pudzian.pl/

Which makes me wonder, why don’t we have Americans that can compete in the Strong Man? I have seen Americans get their ass kicked in the strong man, but that is about it. So if we have the best shit and the most knowledge, why are all the strong man winners from Poland, Sweden, Iceland, etc.? Anyhow, this dude is my favorite strongman ever. He’s a bad ass.[/quote]

Part of the reason the US hasn’t put forth a top contender recently is because of scheduling. We have the Pro Nationals only about a month before the World’s, which isn’t much time to fix any nagging injuries or focus on the events for the World’s. Dione and Willie are working on fixing that.

“Strongman” is not the focal point of American sports as it is in other countries (while I wish that it were).

In America Football dominates and with that come huge salaries. If suddenly there were a change of heart and millions of dollars could be made doing Strongman events, then I am sure that it would not be to long before America would be a real power in that sport.

[quote]diesel25 wrote:
Poles are very well known for being big motherfuckers.

Which makes me wonder how in the hell did they get overtaken by germany? Germans are like big walking levers waiting for you to give them some rotational momentum. Perhaps Poles need to be a bit brighter.

Poles are like wide oaks - you’d better intend to saw them off the fuckin floor if you want to knock them out.

Clearly, Pudzian and the Pope bring good reputation to the pole people. I wonder, however, did the pope condone steroid usage? Perhaps we have another runner-up for the papacy from poland 30 years from now.[/quote]

The most probable reason is that the nordic countries (which excludes Poland) have very few sports for big men. Most of their sports are skiing, swimming, ice hockey. In the U.S., if you are big, you can play any number of sports and earn far more $$$ and fame than being a strongman.

Glad you brought up the Pope to prove your “Poles are very well known for being big motherfuckers.” JPII was hyyyoooooge, wasn’t he? As for why they couldn’t stop the Germans? Maybe it has something to do with muscles not being able to stop bullets and bombs - call it a crazy theory I have.

These types of threads never cease to amaze me with the amount of unsupportable silliness out there.

DB

The Pope was 5-10, 175 in his youth–which is pretty heavy for a soccer athlete.

I think the biggest and strongest Americans tend to end up in football at young ages rather than strongman competitions.

Look at the bulgarian dominance in weightlifting. We have a big enough population to give us at least a few competitive strongmen.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
diesel25 wrote:
Poles are very well known for being big motherfuckers.

Which makes me wonder how in the hell did they get overtaken by germany? Germans are like big walking levers waiting for you to give them some rotational momentum. Perhaps Poles need to be a bit brighter.

Poles are like wide oaks - you’d better intend to saw them off the fuckin floor if you want to knock them out.

Clearly, Pudzian and the Pope bring good reputation to the pole people. I wonder, however, did the pope condone steroid usage? Perhaps we have another runner-up for the papacy from poland 30 years from now.

The most probable reason is that the nordic countries (which excludes Poland) have very few sports for big men. Most of their sports are skiing, swimming, ice hockey. In the U.S., if you are big, you can play any number of sports and earn far more $$$ and fame than being a strongman.

Glad you brought up the Pope to prove your “Poles are very well known for being big motherfuckers.” JPII was hyyyoooooge, wasn’t he? As for why they couldn’t stop the Germans? Maybe it has something to do with muscles not being able to stop bullets and bombs - call it a crazy theory I have.

These types of threads never cease to amaze me with the amount of unsupportable silliness out there.

DB

[/quote]

Not to take this off completely on a historical tangent, but Poland has never had a very long stretch of history where they were able to get things together politically… hence not having any kind of army to handle the Germans… hence the last stand of the Polish cavalry against the German panzer divisions. Lots of pride, just not superior firepower. But sweet Winged Hussars reference by Xen - you are always one surprising MF’er. I dig it.

As someone of Polish ancestry, big props to Pudzianowski. There are just not a lot of well-known Poles kicking around out there - Lech Walesa and JPII were the only ones most people would even know… you know, besides me. lol

Did anyone take a look at his training regimen? There is hard core, super hard core and then there is:
“Conan’s Wheel - 290kg
3 times 2.5 revolutions”

GOOD TIMES.

Part of the reason the US hasn’t put forth a top contender recently is because of scheduling. We have the Pro Nationals only about a month before the World’s, which isn’t much time to fix any nagging injuries or focus on the events for the World’s. Dione and Willie are working on fixing that.[/quote]

The guy in charge of the World’s hates Americans and there is a lot of politics involved. I believe last year they only let 1 American compete in the World’s. It is hard to compete when they won’t let you. There are a lot of strong Americans coming up. They just need the outlet. That is where the Wessel’s come in. NAS and ASA and Dione helping with IFSA they are fighting to open doors for the Americans.