T Nation

My Gym Limits Me..

Hello guys, i am interested in conditioning like the prowler, farmer walks, and all they good stuff… However the gym i go to does not have them! what are some alternates?

No farmer walks? You can’t just pick up 2 dumbbells and walk around?

Go outside push a car flip a tire and run up a hill /thread

Outside you can “powerwalk”.
I think it was popular about 40 years ago. I guess it was offered as a good option to loose weight. For heavy people the knees get too much stress from jogging and many do not feel comfortable to go in a gym maybe thinking that mostly fit, slim, muscular people are there.

Some walk fast and exagerate their arms swings to get about the heart beat like jogging and some use small dumbbells to achieve the same goal.
Here in the winter i do it with small dumbbells but i do about 6 different arms mouvements for about 15-30 reps.
In the gym i put 50% of the load in my backpack and 25% in each hand (dumbbells).

I think wendler said somewhere that you can hop on a treadmill, put the incline as high as you can w/ a pace you can walk, but isn’t easy: walk for 30s, rest for 1 min, repeat

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
I think wendler said somewhere that you can hop on a treadmill, put the incline as high as you can w/ a pace you can walk, but isn’t easy: walk for 30s, rest for 1 min, repeat[/quote]

I like his treadmill run thing. Max incline, warm up and run at a pace that is hard but doesn’t kill you for 15 seconds. 45 seconds off. He says do it at least 20 times, but I generally start from 12 times and go up till 20, then I increase the speed.

I could see myself driving behind the building to push my car. How far and how many reps for a first timer?