T Nation

My Gym Closed!

Damnit!

I joined a gym 9 days ago, I worked out 4 of those days.

I arrived at the gym at 5am today to find a sign that read “OUT OF BUISNESS”.

I wanted to smash every window in the place…somehow I controlled myself.

The stupid thing is, I payed for 6 months in advance. $300 gone!

I suggest you go back and get to smashing those windows.

tiger sorry to hear it bud. I have a question though. Before you joined , did they have a huge membership drive? You know, a 10 or 15 “special deal” where by you pay extra low for the next one year , only catch is you gotta pay in advance.

Same shit happened to me in california, couple years. Some smooth talking lil fag ( meant as an insult not as a dig against anyone enjoying an alternative lifestyle.) took me and 2 friends along with a good population of this small town called turlock for a ride.

Any who. I know that doesnt help. Sorry about your moolah.

I would call “consumer affairs” in your state. Most states require gyms to post bonds to sell any memberships for which they take or obligate you to a payment on a membership of 3 months or more. The bond ammount is usually between 25-50K.

This is kept in cases such as these. The state will give you a refund from the bond money, if one was posted.

[quote]azsdaha wrote:
tiger sorry to hear it bud. I have a question though. Before you joined , did they have a huge membership drive? You know, a 10 or 15 “special deal” where by you pay extra low for the next one year, only catch is you gotta pay in advance.
[/quote]

Paying $300 in advance for 6 months doesn’t sound like that kind of deal. Actually, it doesn’t sound like ANY kind of deal to me: I pay $299/year. But yeah, I’ve seen the $99/first year deals elsewhere, and it usually means the place is in trouble.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
azsdaha wrote:
tiger sorry to hear it bud. I have a question though. Before you joined , did they have a huge membership drive? You know, a 10 or 15 “special deal” where by you pay extra low for the next one year, only catch is you gotta pay in advance.

Paying $300 in advance for 6 months doesn’t sound like that kind of deal. Actually, it doesn’t sound like ANY kind of deal to me: I pay $299/year. But yeah, I’ve seen the $99/first year deals elsewhere, and it usually means the place is in trouble.[/quote]

I live in the sticks.

I called the Gym manager toady, he answered the phone and didn’t try to dodge the issue.

He assured me he would do all he could to make it right…I may never get all my money back, but I don’t feel the guy set out to rip anyone off. My timing just sucked.

He is just a local guy, serious about training, who tried to open a real gym in this little hick town. He gave it all he could for three years but the demand wasn’t there. He went broke.

I feel sorry for him. His main competition is/was a community Rec-Center that doesn’t need to make a profit. Socialsim Sucks.

My wife joined a women’s gym a long time ago, paid up for a multi-year membership. Then the company changed its name, and all memberships were null and void. But the same guy owned the gym.

I told everyone I know about it, and unfortunately he did it again. Changed the name, made all memberships null and void, and kept running the gym getting more suckers.

Each time he apologized, and said it was out of his control. Not sure how he got away with it. (Probably because we didn’t sue his fucking ass.)

I know of plenty of gyms that have closed, but unlike my story above, don’t think there was ever any fraud involved. Just at one point they ran out of money.

I used to work out at a World Gym, and quit there about year before they closed their doors. On the opposite side, I know 2 people who just opened a gym. They are really working hard to make it a real gym, and I am seriously thinking of joining if just to support them.

If I remember right, in order for a gym to succeed they must have more members then they can handle. This means a gym needs to get members who sign up, never use the place, and are too lazy to quit.

There have been discussions here before about people putting their money, and equipment together, and making their own gym. Not as a business, but just as a private gym. Then there is no need for profit, or employees to pay, just the space, equipment, and utilities. Any dues in excess of the costs go toward more equipment.

Oh and the guy who curls in the squat rack can be barred from the club.

Maybe you could get a group of the ex-gym members and, I dunno, enter a dodgeball competition or something and win some money to keep the gym open.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
I would call “consumer affairs” in your state. Most states require gyms to post bonds to sell any memberships for which they take or obligate you to a payment on a membership of 3 months or more. The bond ammount is usually between 25-50K.

This is kept in cases such as these. The state will give you a refund from the bond money, if one was posted. [/quote]

bump

[quote]Neebone wrote:
Maybe you could get a group of the ex-gym members and, I dunno, enter a dodgeball competition or something and win some money to keep the gym open.[/quote]

I do have a sack of wrenches!

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Damnit!

I joined a gym 9 days ago, I worked out 4 of those days.

I arrived at the gym at 5am today to find a sign that read “OUT OF BUISNESS”.

I wanted to smash every window in the place…somehow I controlled myself.

The stupid thing is, I payed for 6 months in advance. $300 gone!

[/quote]

Find the owner or rebute it. You didn’t pay cash did you!!! NOOOOOO!!! Your fucked, that’s why you need AE!!!

It’s re-opening next month under new management.

They will honor all the previous contracts.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
It’s re-opening next month under new management.

They will honor all the previous contracts.
[/quote]

That’s good, but I think the guy is a tool for taking your $ in the first place. Like he didn’t know what was coming 2 weeks later. He coulda warned ya, I doubt your 300 was gonna make or break him. Of course maybe it was all he needed to keep open, but I doubt that.

i guess people were not buying the $5 shakes. the same thing happened to my gym last week., it’s ok i guess it’s time for some change. laters pk

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
It’s re-opening next month under new management.

They will honor all the previous contracts.
[/quote]

You should get your month (or 2) back when it opens.

[quote]Neebone wrote:
Maybe you could get a group of the ex-gym members and, I dunno, enter a dodgeball competition or something and win some money to keep the gym open.[/quote]

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Neebone wrote:
Maybe you could get a group of the ex-gym members and, I dunno, enter a dodgeball competition or something and win some money to keep the gym open.
[/quote]

If you can dodge a wrench- you can dodge a ball!