T Nation

My Greyskull LP Program

Mikey Samson
Greyskull LP for Powerlifting
Monday:
Bench Press/ Overhead Press (alternate each week) - 2 sets of 5, then last set AMRAP
Squat- 2 sets of 5, then last set AMRAP
Barbell Lunges- 3 sets of 8
Two-Arm Dumbbell Row- 3 sets of 8
Plank- 3 sets of 1 minute (try and add weight)
Wednesday:
Bench Press/ Overhead Press (alternate each week) - 2 sets of 5, then last set AMRAP
Deadlift- 1 set AMRAP
Pullups/Chin-ups/ Lat-Pulldown- 3 sets of 8 if Pullups/Chin-ups is done and 10-12 reps if Lat-Pulldowns are done.
Seated Shoulder Press- 3 sets of 8
V-Bar Tricep Pushdowns- 3 sets of 15
Seated Dumbbell Curls- 3 sets of 12
Friday:
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press- 3 sets of 8
Barbell Rows- 3 sets of 8
Hyper-Extensions- 3 sets of 15-20
Add 5 pounds to the lower body lifts each week
Add 2.5 pounds to the upper body lifts each week
Alternate Bench Press and Overhead Press (Example: One week you Bench Press on Monday and Friday and Overhead Press on Wednesday. While another week you Overhead Press on Monday and Friday and Bench Press on Wednesday.)
Chin-ups/Pullups are done to failure with bodyweight every training day till I can pullups/chin-up 15 reps with my bodyweight
When you can’t get the “5” reps, reduce the rep rage to “3” and go until you can’t do that. Once you can’t do the “3” rep range. Take 10% off of the bar and begin process over (on the failed lift only)

What do you guys think?

1. You are already benching and pressing with 1:1 ratio, so there is absolutely no reason to add seated shoulder pressing on Wednesday’s workout.

2. The weight progression is the basic progressive overload method designed to be done with micro plates. That way you can progress for a longer time without the need for deloads and also get much more out of deloads when you are forced to do so.

3. There’s no reason for that high amount of upper body assistance. If you actually put your balls on the line and do one actual AMRAP set on bench or press, you won’t need seated pressing or incline db pressing there. Try the program with minimal assistance first and focus on the main lifts.

If I were you, I’d take that basic template and before going to the working sets, I’d “warm-up” with a lot of triceps extensions (triceps pressdown) with like 15-20-30kg, then some upper back work and chest work. That’s around 300 reps before starting to bench/OHP.

That way you work your tendons and so on + hypertrophy (it’s not a lot load wise, but 3 times a week with 100 reps, that’s 300 reps for triceps + the bench/OHP work).

I’d do some traps/reardelts 2 times a week with side delts and maybe some front raises, just in case. Do biceps and forearms 2x a week just to stay healthy with that amount of pressing.

I’d do more lower body if I were you. A lot of hamstring and glute work, and of course some calves, like I said - just in case for injury prevention.

I believe in frequency, that’s why I prefer doing so much light work + some heavier lifting for bodyparts, cause you get enough specificity out of benching 2x a week on average.

das my 2 cents

So what should I change/add?

Ditch the extra assistance work and grab the GreySkull LP book and read how you should progress with the weights. Starting with something like bench+squat+chins, press+deads+abs, bench+squat+chins is well enough at first. If you absolutely want to, you can add some bodybuilding fluff for arms etc. on Friday since you have two full days of recovery after that. It’s easier to add something when you know you can handle the lower volume than to overdo it at first and drop some stuff out.

Is this better?

Mikey Samson
Greyskull LP for Powerlifting
Monday:
Barbell Lunges- 3 sets of 8
Two-Arm Dumbbell Row- 3 sets of 8
Plank- 3 sets of 1 minute (try and add weight)
Wednesday:
Deadlift- 1 set AMRAP
Pullups/Chin-ups/ Lat-Pulldown- 3 sets of 8 if Pullups/Chin-ups is done and 10-12 reps if Lat-Pulldowns are done.
Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts- 3 sets of 8
V-Bar Tricep Pushdowns- 3 sets of 15
Seated Dumbbell Curls- 3 sets of 12
Friday:
Barbell Rows- 3 sets of 8
Face Pulls- 3 sets of 15
Hyper-Extensions- 3 sets of 15-20

I recommended most the changes he made. His goal in powerlifting specific so I told him to bench or a variation 3 days a week. That’s why are seated dbs are in there. Also what’s wrong with having a solid amount of upper body volume?

You will do fine with what i suggested in the other thread. If recovery is becoming a problem switch to a more advanced routine as your lifts are “decent” already.

There’s no reason for that much assistance. Doing regular + AMRAP-sets for the upper body pressing movements thrice a week is much more taxing many people realize. Given of course that they are done properly and not stopped after getting one extra rep. When doing a program like this, unless you are coming off from Bulgarian style training or other high-frequency program, starting off with less and adding more only if needed is more effective.

My reason for prescribing that much assistance is due to beginners having low strength and efficiency levels while lifting, meaning recovery is faster as they cant effectively tax their body very much…

He’s main goal is powerlifting, utilising a high volume of assistance work will get him to an appropriate level of muscle mass more quickly, when compared to the original routine that has little assistance and fairly low volume on the main lifts.

Thanks man!!! I appreciate your advice.