T Nation

My Goals..

So, I’m a new guy to the boards… This is where I currently stand:

6’1
192 lbs
Unknown BF%
Been lifting off and on for a year or more, started at 240 lbs, ended at 145 lbs, now back up to 190 lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/wormie/IMG_4270Small.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/wormie/IMG_4248Small.jpg

And this is where I want to be, as close as my genetics will allow me to:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/wormie/fightclub.jpg

I don’t care what it’s going to take, I just need someone here to tell me how to get there. Any help at all will be highly appreciated…

Thank’s for checking out my post, and thank’s even more if you contribute to helping me reach my goals. Have a very nice day.

Well you’re 192lbs now, I think Brad was 165? So drop 27lbs (with diet mostly), go to a physio to fix your posture (your shoulders round forward) and do some lateral delt raises to widen your shoulders. You better be in it for the long haul though because it could take up to 5/6 weeks to achieve your goals.

I’m being semi/fully-sarcastic, but seriously if you just read the articles on lifting and diet here it shouldn’t take you too long to get to where you want. And look up correct benching form and do see a physio about your shoulders, you look like your postural muscles (rotator cuff & sub scap) aren’t holding it properly which could spell shoulder trouble down the line if you don’t get it fixed. It might be an idea to look up Neanderthal No More by Eric Cressey & Mike Robertson.

Edit: just read your weight fluctuations, and also that you’ve been lifting ‘on’ and ‘off’ for a year. Has the weight gain been deliberate? Kinda seems like you just need to start training harder and more consistently - because honestly you don’t look like someone who’s been training for a year (or much at all?). Just read more than you post and start training better & you should see more results in two months than you have up to now.

TSB

Babyslayer?!? Just an observation, but you don’t quite look the part. And why do all you kids here reference that “Pitt in Fightclub” pic as the epitomy of fitness? (I hope Angelina Jolie has something to do with this phenomenon). In any case check out the beginners articles here. You will find a great deal of helpful advice, great diets and lifting programs. As a basic synopsis:

1. Stick with compound lifts. i.e. squat, deadlift, presses, rows, chinups, dips, etc.

2. Eat several smaller meals a day and keep it clean, emphasize quality protein.

3. Drink a quality protein/Hi-GI carb shake during and after your workouts.

4. Lots of water.

5. Get enough sleep.

6. Repeat (but vary routines to keep your body responding to new stimuli)

Good Luck ‘Brad’!

[quote]t-ha wrote:
It might be an idea to look up Neanderthal No More by J. Berardi too.[/quote]

Dude, John Berardi is a nutrition guy.

“Neanderthal No More” is a series of articles by two kinesiology guys, Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson.

when i said on here that i wanted to look like pitt in fight club i got flamed alot more lol. btw i have re-evaluated that goal.

[quote]bigmike88 wrote:
when i said on here that i wanted to look like pitt in fight club i got flamed alot more lol. btw i have re-evaluated that goal.[/quote]

Actually, that is what I’m hoping for with a lot of people new to lifting. It become s a bit additive. Plus eating right and working out helps you perform better physically, mentally and emotionally.

Right now I’m the fattest I’ve ever been. I’m also the strongest I’ve ever been. I can diet at any time but LOVE gaining strength and muscle. Actually, when I do finally cut, I’ll look better than I ever have too.

“Gain muscle now and cut later” works for a LOT of people. Newbies should focus on thier form, getting a good workout routine and establishing a workout “habit”. Save the cutting for later and you will be far ahead in the long run.

Wow, before I got to the follow up post, I thought for sure this would be a total roasting. Still waiting on the Professor to light the first match.

[quote]babyslayer wrote:
So, I’m a new guy to the boards… This is where I currently stand:

6’1
192 lbs
Unknown BF%
Been lifting off and on for a year or more, started at 240 lbs, ended at 145 lbs, now back up to 190 lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/wormie/IMG_4270Small.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/wormie/IMG_4248Small.jpg

And this is where I want to be, as close as my genetics will allow me to:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/wormie/fightclub.jpg

I don’t care what it’s going to take, I just need someone here to tell me how to get there. Any help at all will be highly appreciated…

Thank’s for checking out my post, and thank’s even more if you contribute to helping me reach my goals. Have a very nice day. [/quote]

Where’s Prof X

Get back up to 240 with a quality Mass Diet and HEAVY LIFTING

[quote]Kailash wrote:
Dude, John Berardi is a nutrition guy.

“Neanderthal No More” is a series of articles by two kinesiology guys, Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson.[/quote]My bad - should’ve checked it, though I’m sure Dr. Berardi considers himself more than just a nutrition guy.

This should help make up for it;
http://www.guidoandluigi.com/index.php?date=2006-06-29

[quote]t-ha wrote:
This should help make up for it;
http://www.guidoandluigi.com/index.php?date=2006-06-29
[/quote]

Haha, you’d think so, but I already read that. And every other edition. :slight_smile:

Guido and Luigi rules. T-Nation should put that guy on the payroll and feature his comics here exclusively.

To look like that third pic You need to start smoking and bleeding, maybe roll around in the dirt a little. Have someone punch you in the face a few times for good measure.

That should do it. Have fun.

[quote]t-ha wrote:
Well you’re 192lbs now, I think Brad was 165? So drop 27lbs (with diet mostly), go to a physio to fix your posture (your shoulders round forward) and do some lateral delt raises to widen your shoulders. You better be in it for the long haul though because it could take up to 5/6 weeks to achieve your goals.

I’m being semi/fully-sarcastic, but seriously if you just read the articles on lifting and diet here it shouldn’t take you too long to get to where you want. And look up correct benching form and do see a physio about your shoulders, you look like your postural muscles (rotator cuff & sub scap) aren’t holding it properly which could spell shoulder trouble down the line if you don’t get it fixed. It might be an idea to look up Neanderthal No More by Eric Cressey & Mike Robertson.

Edit: just read your weight fluctuations, and also that you’ve been lifting ‘on’ and ‘off’ for a year. Has the weight gain been deliberate? Kinda seems like you just need to start training harder and more consistently - because honestly you don’t look like someone who’s been training for a year (or much at all?). Just read more than you post and start training better & you should see more results in two months than you have up to now.[/quote]

I went down to 145 by just not eating, was a stupid mistake, but I basically lost all of my fat and muscle over the course of a year, at the same time I started lifting a little, didn’t go anywhere… Then last summer I put on some good amounts of mass but once I got a girlfriend I was spending all of my time in school and with her and never ate or lifted, basically just went back to square one, then I started lifting again, but could never make up my mind on goals, and I wasted two months trying new shit every week…

Finally about a month ago I started this new routine, basically what I have quoted below, it’s worked amazingly for me… The only thing is that I don’t want to get huge and big, I just want some good solid muscle on me, and then cut the fat, and then basically maintain. I want to be able to run and hit the heavy bag and do crap like that without risking strength gains and muscle gains…

Also, about my posture, it’s always been a problem from the way I sit on the computer… I never thought it was serious enough to see a physiologist though… My doctor told me to just start running and working out and that it’d fix itself. Do you think it’s serious enough to see one?

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Babyslayer?!? Just an observation, but you don’t quite look the part. And why do all you kids here reference that “Pitt in Fightclub” pic as the epitomy of fitness? (I hope Angelina Jolie has something to do with this phenomenon). In any case check out the beginners articles here. You will find a great deal of helpful advice, great diets and lifting programs. As a basic synopsis:

1. Stick with compound lifts. i.e. squat, deadlift, presses, rows, chinups, dips, etc.

2. Eat several smaller meals a day and keep it clean, emphasize quality protein.

3. Drink a quality protein/Hi-GI carb shake during and after your workouts.

4. Lots of water.

5. Get enough sleep.

6. Repeat (but vary routines to keep your body responding to new stimuli)

Good Luck ‘Brad’![/quote]

That’s what I’ve been doing, it’s worked great for me… I guess I’ll just stick with it.

Regardless of what programs you follow, or what nutrition you intake, you will NOT get huge by accident. Most people have difficulty getting huge on steroids.

Unless you plan on eating your way to 300lbs (and seeing your toilet about 9 times a day) may I humbly say that gaining size won’t interfere with hitting a heavy bag…

Well it’s a pretty common misconception that it’s easy to get big. It’s not. The kind of gains you see when you first start working out fizzle out quickly and then it becomes a battle for every pound. Therefore there is no real difference between the training you should do if you want to get HUUUUGE or if you just want to get fitness model big.

Obviously I can’t diagnose your posture over the internet (nor am I qualified to do it in real life either) but it might be an idea to see a physio just to be sure.

Also, if you’re embarking on a weights programme, make sure that you balance out your chest work with your back work, tight pecs can pull the shoulders in too. Pick a pre-made programme from one of the authors on this site that suits your goals and do it.

Also, there’s no getting away from the fact that consistency, hard training, sleep and a good diet are all needed to get the best results. I’m not telling you that you CAN’T make any progress if all that isn’t perfect, but any compromise on any of those points WILL negatively affect it.

Summary: don’t worry about getting huge, just train hard and eat alot. Getting huge doesn’t sneak up on you, it takes very deliberate focus and extreme dedication. Also, read the articles and forum posts as much as you can - you have asked questions that I feel you wouldn’t have if you had spent more time reading the site.

Best of luck