My Get Huge Plan

I call it the ‘Get Huge’ plan and combined some things I like to do with some of Chad Waterbury’s concepts, though I might have something here that you all will completely destroy, I’m up for the criticism and would not mind some help in diagnosing what may be wrong with this plan.

Goal: gain muscle mass, lose fat

http://web.mac.com/chrisd7/iWeb/Site/Blog/F6D33DF7-D4A8-4BDC-B5C4-FD7AB7C83B04.html

It certainly looks comprehensive. But never forget you ‘get huge’ outside of the gym, from eating a lot and resting well, not inside.

Also, why no deadlifts?

The most important lift for a mass gaining program is the fork lift. :wink:

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
It certainly looks comprehensive. But never forget you ‘get huge’ outside of the gym, from eating a lot and resting well, not inside.

Also, why no deadlifts?[/quote]

I do a behind-the-back squat, where you start from just above the floor with the BB behind you and come up. You can’t use as much weight as a deadlift, but it’s still not bad as a squat/deadlift hybrid. Maybe I should take something out and include a traditional deadlift? I’m not sure.

My goals are not to bulk, but to lose fat and hopefully add lean tissue and strength. I’m WANTING to put on major mass, but I have to keep in mind that the platoon leader’s class I have to attend this Summer is going to be very much about cardio/endurance rather than size/strength.

Once I get through those 10 weeks, you bet your ass I’m going to want to bulk up.

Also, why no deadlifts?[/quote]

No other thoughts?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Malevolence wrote:

Also, why no deadlifts?

I do a behind-the-back squat, where you start from just above the floor with the BB behind you and come up. You can’t use as much weight as a deadlift, but it’s still not bad as a squat/deadlift hybrid. Maybe I should take something out and include a traditional deadlift? I’m not sure.

My goals are not to bulk, but to lose fat and hopefully add lean tissue and strength. I’m WANTING to put on major mass, but I have to keep in mind that the platoon leader’s class I have to attend this Summer is going to be very much about cardio/endurance rather than size/strength.

Once I get through those 10 weeks, you bet your ass I’m going to want to bulk up.[/quote]

YOU MUST INCLUDE DEADS IF YOU WANT TO GET BIG…

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Malevolence wrote:

Also, why no deadlifts?

Once I get through those 10 weeks, you bet your ass I’m going to want to bulk up.[/quote]

You can do deadlifts to accomplish your goals without gaining much size. Utilize a low volume/high intensity set with a lot of rest in between sets. Something like 3 x 3 @ 85-90% w/ 3-5 min. rest. Just an example. But I agree, you should dead regardless. Just have to tweak the rep range.

And remember, no matter how much you lift, you aren’t going to get big if you don’t put in more than you expend. Just keep that in mind when you’re planning. Good luck.

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
Malevolence wrote:

Also, why no deadlifts?

Once I get through those 10 weeks, you bet your ass I’m going to want to bulk up.

[/quote]

Okay.

How about the rep/set ranges and the number of workout days? Look okay?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
I do a behind-the-back squat, where you start from just above the floor with the BB behind you and come up. You can’t use as much weight as a deadlift, but it’s still not bad as a squat/deadlift hybrid.[/quote]

Does this sound like a hack deadlift to anyone else? Well, you say “start from just above the floor” so maybe it’s a “hack rack deadlift.”

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:
[/quote]

While I do like deadlifts there will be those who will credibly dispute this.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
Does this sound like a hack deadlift to anyone else? Well, you say “start from just above the floor” so maybe it’s a “hack rack deadlift.”[/quote]

I’ve always known these as barbell hack squats except I start from the floor. This is one of the very unsung great exercises in my book. Excellent for concentrating load on one leg or the other if one’s lagging a bit.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Malevolence wrote:

Also, why no deadlifts?

No other thoughts?[/quote]

Nothing with much credibility, I’m basically in the same boat as you. Although, I have been making progress with my lifting, put on some weight, improved all my numbers…etc .

My workouts are way simple though. I basically only do 4 or 5 exercises.

Deadlifts
Squats
Pullups
Dips
Shrugs

I lift weights usually 3 times a week and do other general exercising, sports, and stuff on other days.

My approach is to keep it simple in the weight room, nuke my body and then take it easy for a day or two while I eat really well(and a lot!) and then go back in and repeat, hopefully with a little more intensity.

It may not be the perfect program, but I’ve been getting results.

The way I see it, Beginners probably don’t need to fuss too much over complicated and precise programs and strategies. Wait till you’ve actually got some mass to work with before you start to fine tune.

dhuge67 wrote:
Malevolence wrote:

Also, why no deadlifts?

No other thoughts?

Nothing with much credibility, I’m basically in the same boat as you. Although, I have been making progress with my lifting, put on some weight, improved all my numbers…etc .

My workouts are way simple though. I basically only do 4 or 5 exercises.

Deadlifts
Squats
Pullups
Dips
Shrugs

I lift weights usually 3 times a week and do other general exercising, sports, and stuff on other days.

My approach is to keep it simple in the weight room, nuke my body and then take it easy for a day or two while I eat really well(and a lot!) and then go back in and repeat, hopefully with a little more intensity.

It may not be the perfect program, but I’ve been getting results.

The way I see it, Beginners probably don’t need to fuss too much over complicated and precise programs and strategies. Wait till you’ve actually got some mass to work with before you start to fine tune. [/quote]

Yeah, I agree. Always worked out like that, except from time to time I try some other workout for fun. I can’t see the need for much else, except maybe clean and jerk/push press/shit like that.

And don’t forget the kegels!!

you could alternate the deads whith the hacks.
on your day one I would personnaly go with 120-160 seconds rest, if you are going 85% max.
also you might consider super setting some of your push/pull work.

i am guessing that you doing the run to prep for the upcoming class? if not i would loose that as to me mass=power, if you want to run do more wind sprints.

[quote]zedhed wrote:
you could alternate the deads whith the hacks.
on your day one I would personnaly go with 120-160 seconds rest, if you are going 85% max.
also you might consider super setting some of your push/pull work.

i am guessing that you doing the run to prep for the upcoming class? if not i would loose that as to me mass=power, if you want to run do more wind sprints.[/quote]

Yeah, I have to maintain a 19:30 or below 3 mile run for my Marine Corps fitness test. I’m sure that more muscle wouldn’t hamper my run time, but more weight probably would begin to drag me down a little bit.