My fitness and food log

Tuesday, June 6

Last night I had a really nice dinner: grilled, grass fed sirloin steak, green beans and zucchini & sweet potato “noodles”. See? :point_down: Nice, right?

Then… I wanted to eat some SH*T. So, I decided to have a little cheat night and today do the Cheat Fast/Protein Pulse. I had good results the last time I did it and I’d like to roll into our little trip to Tahoe with a little less belly. So, I tried a couple of the new Jelly Donut Oreos, had 2 small slices of frozen cheese pizza, 2 servings of Halo Top with 1 serving of a coconut based, no sugar added ice cream. And today it’s just me & Mag-10 every 3 hours.

Today’s workout sucked. Not sure if it was the lack of food or the emotional baggage I have weighing me down today. Maybe a combo of both. I was supposed to do 5 rounds of the 2nd circuit but only did 2. I just couldn’t muster the drive to get through it. Tomorrow will be better. I will feel better and there will be real food. I love food: food makes me happy. :yum:

workout Hard Body Training for Women Lower body pump complex/lower body metcon, week 9
Circuit
A1) Lying Leg Curl (67.5) 3x15
A2) Leg Extention ((60) 1x15, 2x12
A3) Walking DB Lunge (25’s) 1x24 (20’s) 2x24
Circuit x2
B1) Bike Spring 1 min
B2) Body Squats x30
B3) Vertical Jump x10
added C) incline treadmill walk 10 min
55 minutes = 325 calories burned

3 Likes

I think that is normal. I mean I’m assuming you have safety pins where you are squatting, so worst case you are a little embarrassed as you strip the weight from the bar. That’s another plus about going for a 3RM. You shouldn’t fail a rep. Maybe you only get two and feel your form breaking down so you call it quits.

This is my problem too. I have my nice, healthy dinner and the as I’m putting the last bite in my mouth I’m thinking about ice cream, or peanut butter, or, or, or…and then I ruin my healthy day in the final couple hours before bed…all too often…

The only thing I’ve found to SOMETIMES work, is to eat dinner then go brush my teeth. Even that doesn’t stop me sometimes though.

2 Likes

Yeah, but looking at your “January to Now” pictures, you’re still doing pretty god damned well! If I could eat the sh*t and still make progress like you, I’d be stoked! I just came from the dentist and my BP is 114/74 and pulse was 47. She says, “Wow! You have the stats of an athlete”. Now if only I looked one! :triumph:

4 Likes

Good point!

Yeah, go back through @MarkKO’s log, he fails epically on squats and just does not give a shit.

I actually googled “How to fail a squat” because I felt the same way.

2 Likes

Oh, I give a shit - that I missed. That’s about it. I bitch about it for a day, then I get over it.

2 Likes

They’re different muscle groups but CNS fatigue could still be a factor. I don’t think your muscles will suffer too much of you did push press first BUT you only have so much fuel for each session and the CNS fatigue can be sneaky.

I’ve noticed that my bench workouts while doing Layers sucked when I did them on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays. I think the reason for the poor performance was CNS or just overall fatigue. My Monday workouts focus on deadlifts and pulling. I didn’t think it’d matter but my experience tells me that the extra day of rest mattered.

If you have the time to separate the max attempts then I recommend that you do.

2 Likes

:blush:

:joy: That’s brilliant hahaha further proof we are all just children in big human bodies.

3 Likes

OK! I’ll wait until I’m back at the gym on Thursday to test it. I appreciate the response! :+1:

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Down 3lbs (water weight I’m sure) after my Cheat Fast yesterday. Pretty happy with that. I think I’ll do it one more time before Tahoe. I’ll only be gone for 2 nights so I don’t think I can do much damage. Well, I can and I have. But, I wont allow myself to go hog wild. I’ve learned how to spend calories where it’s worth it to me. So, I will choose my “cheats” wisely on our trip.

:muscle:
workout Hard Body Training for Women Upper body strength/hypertrophy work, week 9
A) Medicine Ball/Wall Slam
B) Push Press (100) 3x3
C1) Eccentric (6 - 8 sec) Push Press (90) 3x3
C2) Overhead Ball Throw (20) 3x15
D) Chest Supported DB Rows (55’s) 2x6
E) Lat Pull Down (120) 2x8
added F) Incline Treadmill Walk - 10 min
59 minutes = 459 calories burned

:fork_and_knife: FOOD
pre workout: 6oz plain, 2% greek yogurt, 8g chia seeds, 4g unsweetened coconut, 10g almond butter
post workout: 1 scoop chocolate protein / shake
meal: chicken & zucchini bake (see pic from Monday)
Meal: grilled chicken thighs, broccoli & cabbage
Meal: ground turkey over zucchini noodles
Meal: 2 protein donuts: 1 topped with sf jelly & almond Butter, 1 topped with Lily’s no sugar added chocolate & unsweetened coconut :palm_tree:

Totals for both Donuts w/toppings:
344 calories 28c/21f/23p, 5g sugar, 15g fiber :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

Thursday, June 8
workout Hard Body Training for Women, Upper body pump complex/upper body metcon, week 9
Circuit A
A1) DB Laterals (20’s) 3x12
A2) Skull Crushers (ez bar) (40) 3x12
A3) DB Shoulder Press (22.5’s) 3x12
Circuit B (90) 3x12 each
B1) Lat Pull Down (behind neck)
B2) Lat Pull Down (wide, front)
B3) Lat Pull Down (supinated)
Circuit C - 5 rounds
C1) Row 500m
C2) Push-Ups 4x15, 1x12
70 minutes total = 576 calories

:fork_and_knife:
Pre-workout: 1 protein donut topped w/16g almond butter
Intra-workout: 1/2 serving Plazma
Post-workout: 38g chocolate milk Muscle Pharm protein
Meal: grilled chicken thighs, broccoli
Snack: Pure Protein Bar
Meal: ground turkey, zucchini noodles, guacamole
Meal: Tacos :taco: x3
Treats: Tasted (ate several) of the new Oreo Thins (coconut and the salted caramel). Took a bite of each of the 2 Quest Hero bars that I hadn’t tried yet (Vanilla Cobbler & Chocolate Caramel Pecan). 1 delish Brownie Coffee Ice Sandwich (only 180 calories)

I planned tonight as a cheat night. I’m going to do another Cheat Fast / Protein Pulse tomorrow.

2 Likes

Plot Twist: Jamie is actually a 32 year old, 350 lbs male who is lying about the macros and making us believe we can eat all of this delicious looking food and be healthy. I see those chips by the tacos, you can’t fool me!

Seriously though, this thread is beautiful.

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:
Just because they are on the table doesn’t mean I eat them. Aaaand the tacos come with 2 corn tortillas & I take one off & only eat one. I feel that’s a much better meat to tortilla ratio. And might I point out that I did state it was a CHEAT night. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Sadly, I’m still an almost 45 year old 163’ish lb woman trying not to eat like Power Lifter. :yum:

2 Likes

Friday, June 9th 2017

Weight this morning after cheat night: 166.4lbs. Up 2.4lbs from the morning before. Hoping to see a good drop tomorrow morning that’s for sure! :pray:

workout Hard Body Training for Women Optional sprint/energy systems session - week 9
Circuit - 7 rounds
A1) Farmer’s Walk (80lb dbs)
A2) Sprint
Added
B) Incline treadmill walk - 10 min
55 minutes = 412 calories burned

pre & intra workout: 1 serving Plazma
Post workout: 1 serving Mag-10
A fun day of Protein Pulsing ahead! No solid food.

In my mind, I’m eating solid food. In reality, I just added lots of ice (and a scoop of green superfood powder) to a scoop of chocolate Metabolic Drive. Can’t wait to chew tomorrow. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Does not compute.

Can you believe I suck at cutting? hahaha ugh

2 Likes

I baked chocolate chip cookies tonight for the family & didn’t touch them. I deserve a medal! Or a cookie :cookie: :wink:

3 Likes

Not even a lick of the spatula? Supermom self-control…

1 Like

Saturday, June 10

Results of the Cheat Fast:
Thursday woke 164lbs (cheat that night)
Friday woke 166.4lbs (cheat fast day)
Saturday woke 162.4lbs :smiley:

Workout Hard Body Training for Women
Whole Body Explosive Work - week 9

A) High Pull (65) 4x4
Circuit - 5 rounds
B1) Lateral Raise (20’s) x5
B2) Box Jump x10
B3) Overhead ball throw/push press (20)x10
B4) Broad Jump x10
B5) Ball Slam (20)x10
Circuit - 12 min
C1) bike sprint 1 min
C2) row 250m
C3) push-up x10
72 minutes = 667 calories

Ate my usual boring meals today except for 5 bite sized cookies at a baby shower. These damn things were SO good! It really took all I had not to keep at them. 2 were a Rosemary Shortbread (Rosemary is awesome in a cookie. Who knew?) The other 3 were Oatmeal with lots of coconut. I love coconut and I’m one of those weirdos that will choose oatmeal over chocolate chip :alien:

Tomorrow is my daughter’s 4th birthday :balloon: I will likely have a piece of cake. We are making it together so how can I not?

The awesome cookies from today:

Dinner: turkey burger, zucchini, broccoli ( I topped the turkey burger with reduced sugar ketchup

2 Likes

Thursday, June 15

Made it back from Tahoe without gaining weight! I’ve never come back from a trip without gaining at least a few lbs. So, huge victory for me!

On this trip, I seemed to have found a good balance of enjoying some good food & treats but not going overboard like I usually do.

I usually either just say “F it! I’ll get back on track when I get home” and eat in abundance. Or, I try to be too strict initially and then just binge because I feel deprived.

Some things I did this trip:

• Bought a hunk of English Toffee, but it wasn’t that great. So, I threw it out instead of just eating it anyway.
  • Breakfast out, I allowed myself a waffle with a little butter & syrup. Then had a couple whole eggs & a center cut pork chop (no cheesy omelette or added fat with bacon or sausage)
  • Had a chicken sandwich with a side salad (instead of fries), vinegrette on the side. Ate a few fried pickle spears & a few fries off kid’s plate. For my sandwich, I asked them to hold the bacon & cheese and kept the avocado & chipotle mayo.
  • Dinner at a BBQ joint where veggies were non-existent. So, I focused on getting a large portion of protein (smoked boneless, skinless chicken thighs & pulled pork) and some pickles. Didn’t add any BBQ sauce from the table. Tasted a hush puppy, had a few fries.
  • Wanted to try a Goo Goo Cluster so I shared it instead of eating the whole thing.
  • Enjoyed my favorite pizza which happens to be thin crust.
  • Enjoyed a cup of ice cream from Cold Stone & got a small one instead of my usual large.
  • Bought a pack or organic celery hearts & red bell peppers to keep in our hotel fridge. (And bonus, the kids ate some too)

Here’s my favorite pizza:
Thai Curry Chicken (other 1/2 is smokey BBQ chicken)

Sweet Curry sauce topped with roasted chicken, crisp yellow bell peppers, fresh tomatoes, red onion, and mascarpone cheese topped with fresh lime slices, basil and cilantro.

Monday’s workout (before hitting the road) I was supposed to test my max on squats. And today I was supposed to test max on the push press. I wasn’t feeling it to actually make a good go of it. Feeling a little “off” mentally this past week. Part of me is a bit intimidated by it and part of me doesn’t really care about maxes. I may revisit the thought of testing maxes, I may not. If I keep increasing the load, then I know I’m getting stronger. So…

Today’s workout:

1. Push Press (95) 3x3
  2. Squat stance DL ((135) 3x8
  • it’s been awhile since I’ve done any DL. The hard body for women program doesn’t include any.
  1. Leg Press - (empty bar) 5x20
  • feet high, keeping tension on the glutes
  1. stair climb machine - 10 min
    70 min including warm up time = 533 calories burned

Lunch today - Black & Blue Salad
Grilled steak, strawberries, tomatoes, crumbled blue cheese & a little blackberry jam (the sweet & savory combo of the cheese & jam is SO good)

5 Likes