T Nation

My Full Body Routine

Hello. I would appreciate if you guys could take a look at my full body routine and advise me if it is decent enough to continue. I will be grateful for any advice on how it could be improved.

I work out 3 days a week. Monday , Wednesday, Friday.

I alternate Front squats and deadlifts ie

Week 1 I will do Monday- Fsquat Wednesday-Deadlift Friday- Fsquat
Week 2 I will do Monday- Deadlift Wednesday-Fsquat Friday- Deadlift

The exercises I do every workout day are Bench press, Military press (or push press), Chinups (or dumbell BOR).

Each session I will alternate isolation exercises ie Monday- Bicep curl, OH Tricep extension Wednesday- Calves, Abs and so on.

I am currently taking take 90 seconds between sets.

Thanks, Michael.

All you do for shoulders is OHP.
All you do for chest is bench.
All you do for quads is front squat.
All you do for back is deadlift.
All you do for biceps is curl once a week.
All you do for triceps is extensions once a week.

You will be greatly disappointed if this is your plan.

Thanks for the reply dude.

I posted this in the beginner section because I am a beginner seeking advice.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

You did a good job picking out the core exercises. Now you need to add isolation exercises to complete your physique.

Are you set on doing a full body routine? A body part split is the best way to go.

chest/tri
back/bi
legs/shoulders

This is just one way to divide. There are MANY ways.

I think he just means you should do more. You're only doing a few lifts (which isn't necessarily wrong, depending on your goals), but it's hard to tell without more information. Let us know your sets and reps layout and what you're trying to accomplish and all that, then we'll be able to give you better advice.

Especially if his goals are to train for powerlifting or a specific sport...both of which we don't know because he didn't post it.

I am not set on a full body at all but I would like to stick to only three days a week.

My goals are to get stronger,healthier and look better.

As far as the set and rep layout goes I start by doing 4 sets of 8 with a particular weight. Once I can

complete these sets I move to 3 sets of 10 for the next session and then 3 sets of 12 in the next before

increasing the weight.

My weights have been increasing with this method and I have been enjoying being in the gym.

My reasons for going to the gym initially where to get myself out of the house as I work at home. I would

like to get into a more structured routine.

I am a small guy at 5'8 and I weigh 158lbs.

Thanks guys!

If you are dead set on doing 3 days per week:

Day 1: Chest and Back
Day 2: Quads, Hams and Calves
Day 3: Shoulders and Arms

Chest and Back
1. Bench Press: 5-6 sets x 6-8 reps x 2 min rest
2. Incline DB Press: 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps x 90 seconds rest
3. Flyes or Cable Crossovers: 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps x 60 seconds rest.
4. Chest-supported T-bar row: 5-6 sets x 6-8 reps x 2 min rest
5. Lat Pulldown: 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps x 90 seconds rest
6. DB One-arm Rows: 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps per arm x 90 seconds rest
7. Straight-arm Pulldowns: 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps x 60 seconds rest

Quads, Hams and Calves
1. Front squats: 5-6 sets x 6-8 reps x 2 min rest
2. Close-stance leg press: 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps x 90 seconds rest
3. Leg extension: 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps x 60 seconds rest
4. Romanian deadlift: 5-6 sets x 6-8 reps x 2 min rest
5. Leg Curl: 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps x 90 seconds rest
6. Hyperextension: 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps x 60 seconds rest
7. Calf presses (on leg press): 4-5 sets x 15-20 reps x 45 seconds rest

Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps
1. Military press: 5-6 sets x 6-8 reps x 2 min rest
2. Neutral-grip seated DB press: 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps x 90 seconds rest
3. One-arm cable lateral raise: 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps per arm x 60 seconds rest
4. Preacher curl (close-grip): 5-6 sets x 6-8 reps x 2 min rest
5. Incline DB curl: 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps x 90 seconds rest
6. Smith machine close-grip bench press: 5-6 sets x 6-8 reps x 2 min rest
7. Decline skull crushers: 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps x 90 seconds rest

*Train your abdominals at the end of your workouts.

Looks good to me for a general workout plan, I too am on FB routine but its 2x a week because of time constraints and i'm ok with it. I'm at the gym Wed and Sat. You have things covered: hitting chest, shoulders, legs each time so you're see results. Taking 90 sec as you mentioned btw sets is a good idea since FB workouts can be exhausting. I know I'm wiped out after a FB workout.

Only advice is to mix things up, such as, high reps, doing compound exercises, unilateral leg exercises, and abs/core each workout.

Are you implying powerlifters do not split up their training into separate days?

Not in the way you recommended. Typically upper/lower, but not BPS. Maybe I have the wrong idea of the beginners forum though. Is it generally assumed that all posting in the beginners forum have bodybuilding goals? And that the beginners training for sport/powerlifting post in conditioning/powerlifting? I only ask, because I've been noticing a trend of BPS being recommended to every new lifter regardless of their goals, which has been perplexing me.

Take a look at the powerlifting logs on EliteFTS. I'm sure you will be surprised of the minute difference between what they do and what I'm suggesting. 5/3/1 is a body part split, and that is recommended A LOT.

Perhaps it's a difference in definition, but there is nothing inherently wrong or weak, breaking training into different days.

It isn't wrong or weak, but wouldn't it be optimal to try to maximize hormonal response to training by using full body workouts? Especially seeing as OP is a beginner?

Program looks fine to me OP, though if hypertrophy is your goal, once your beginner gains start to run out having a good body-part split to jump right into might be a nice way to mix things up and keep those gains coming.

Best of luck if that's your belief. From my own personal experience, you will probably get torn to shreds on these forums with that viewpoint. (I agree FTR.)

Sounds pretty solid to me dude.

As long as you enjoy training this way & are able to keep adding weight to the bar I'd say keep it going.