T Nation

My Full Body Routine - Opinions

I’m posting this to get some feedback on a routine I’ve been doing for almost 3 years now. I started lifting (doing a slight variation of this routine) at 5’7" 135lbs ~10% body fat, and am currently 200lbs at about 14% BF.

Session #1 (Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday 6:00-6:45)

Lat Pulldowns (Behind head) 8 reps x 2 sets
Lat Pulldowns (Normal) 8 reps x 2 sets
Seated Chin-ups 8 reps x 2 sets
Tricep Press Down 6 reps x 2 sets
Leg Curls 6 reps x 2 sets
Reverse Leg Curls 4 reps x 2 sets
Seated Row 8 reps x 2 sets
Shoulder Shrugs 8 reps x 2 sets
Standing Row 8 reps x 2 sets
Calf Raises 8 reps x 2 sets
Squats 15 reps x 2 sets

Session #2 (Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday 10:00-10:50

Barbell Curls 6 reps x 2 sets
Preacher Curls 8 reps x 2 sets
Front Barbell Raises 6 reps x 2 sets
Side Dumbell Raises 6 reps x 2 sets
Military Press 8 reps x 2 sets
Forearm Curls 8 reps x 2 sets
Alternating Dumbell Curls 6 reps x 2 sets
Hammer Curls 6 reps x 2 sets
Bench Press 6 reps x 2 sets

In general I rest about 20-40 seconds between workouts and about 3-4 minutes between sets. I usually add 5-10lbs to each workout every 2-3 months.

I’ve heard mixed things from people when I tell them what I do, but the majority is that I shouldn’t do that much in one night. The truth is I’ve had so much success with it in the past 3 years I’ve been doing it that I’ve really found no need to change what I’m doing. My injuries have been limited to mainly my left shoulder (which I’ve had trouble with prior to starting my lifting routine), though they have become almost non-existent in the past 2 years or so due to finally putting focus in proper form. I’ve done lots of research on my diet and follow it religiously.

Anyways… to my question. I’m on a break from lifting at the moment, and am curious to hear some educated opinions on my routine and if breaking that many exercises into two sets in a single day is going to pose bigger joint/muscle stress problems in the long run. I’m considering switching to a split routine sometime in the future, but I honestly don’t know if I’ll get the same feeling of accomplishment I get when completing this 3 times a week.

[quote]unglued wrote:
I’ve heard mixed things from people when I tell them what I do, but the majority is that I shouldn’t do that much in one night. The truth is I’ve had so much success with it in the past 3 years I’ve been doing it that I’ve really found no need to change what I’m doing. [/quote]

Why it does look like a lot and you could probably cut some stuff out, why change something that isn’t broken? If its still working after 3 years and your not experiencing any injuries due to imbalances, why bother to change it. Who gives a flip what people say about your program, whatever works for you.

If you’ve been doing this program for 3 years, your body has probably adapted to the volume, so that’s why you can handle it. It would most likely be too much for someone who wasn’t used to doing that much in one day.

However, I have a couple of questions for you.

First, do you always do the same number of sets and reps? If so, you would most certainly benefit from changing your rep ranges every 4 weeks or so. This would mean increasing weight and decreasing reps or vice versa.

Second, do you always do the exercises in the order listed? If so, you would be better off starting with the biggest muscle groups and working towards the smallest, as well as starting with your compound (multi joint) movements and working towards you isolation (single joint) movements.

Do you do any deadlifting of any kind? What about single leg work such as lunges, step ups, bulgarian split squats, etc? I see you are squatting, but only with high reps. Do you have a lower body injury, or are you just avoiding the hard exercises? Also, your upper body volume is out of proportion to your lower body work.

hey guys, im a couple months new to the site and just decided to start posting…

I too have a workout similar to unglued’s…i do a full body workout M W & F and just touch on the legs, then tues, thurs, and saturday, i mainly work cardio and legs. Do you guys think a full body work out is better then working only certain muscle groups on different days?

[quote]petroljj wrote:
hey guys, im a couple months new to the site and just decided to start posting…

I too have a workout similar to unglued’s…i do a full body workout M W & F and just touch on the legs, then tues, thurs, and saturday, i mainly work cardio and legs. Do you guys think a full body work out is better then working only certain muscle groups on different days? [/quote]

No, not necessarily. It depends on your goals, and on how your body responds to it. Everyone is different. It also depends on which program you’ll stick with and work the hardest on.

With that said, any program that you’ve been doing for too long (4-6 weeks for most people) needs to be changed. Your body will have already made most of the progress it can at that point. You can switch a number of variables to keep it fresh such as: exercise selection, exercise order, number of sets, number of reps, full body vs split, number of days/week…etc.

There are a number of great programs on this site if you search for them. Most are listed in the beginners section under the article “are you a beginner II”. Even if you aren’t a beginner, it is a great post with a ton of good links. Do yourself a favor and read through everything there.

Why are you doing compound movements last, Do them first, you will use more weight and get better results.

[quote]Modi wrote:
If you’ve been doing this program for 3 years, your body has probably adapted to the volume, so that’s why you can handle it. It would most likely be too much for someone who wasn’t used to doing that much in one day.

However, I have a couple of questions for you.

First, do you always do the same number of sets and reps? If so, you would most certainly benefit from changing your rep ranges every 4 weeks or so. This would mean increasing weight and decreasing reps or vice versa.

Second, do you always do the exercises in the order listed? If so, you would be better off starting with the biggest muscle groups and working towards the smallest, as well as starting with your compound (multi joint) movements and working towards you isolation (single joint) movements.

Do you do any deadlifting of any kind? What about single leg work such as lunges, step ups, bulgarian split squats, etc? I see you are squatting, but only with high reps. Do you have a lower body injury, or are you just avoiding the hard exercises? Also, your upper body volume is out of proportion to your lower body work.[/quote]

  1. Yes, I generally do the same number of reps and sets. I started off doing 3 sets with fewer exercises, but the workout got a bit lengthy with 3 so I dropped it down to 2.

  2. I typically follow that order without much variation. When I add weight I do typically lessen my reps for a several weeks to adapt to the new weight, then I continue with my regular routine.

  3. I don’t do any other lifting aside from what’s on the list (and Muay Thai on my off days - MWF). The only reason I do high rep squats is because I don’t have a real weight rack, and the only machine I have that can do squats has a 210lb stack. Even at 15 reps it’s not challenging, but I plan on getting a proper weight rack sometime in the future so I can squat some real weight…but for now I’ve got to make due with it. I am in bad need of upgrading all my equipment.

Thanks for the reply and the advice :slight_smile: