T Nation

My Full Body Program

I’ve came up with this its kind of similar to Ripptoe’s. But tell me what yall think? Thnks

A
Squat
Row
Bench
Dip
Accessory Work
Abs

B
Deadlift
DB Incline
Seated Row/ T-Bar
Pullups
Accessory Work
Abs

I was going to alternate ABA week 1 and BAB week 2. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Put on your firesuit.

Rippetoe’s program is better than this one because you squat 3x a week and because you have powerclean alternated with deadlift and press alternated with bench.

I understand that lol I know his is better but its just i have a bum knee and i really didn’t want to squat 3 times a week. So would this be sufficient though?

[quote]fishman01 wrote:
I understand that lol I know his is better but its just i have a bum knee and i really didn’t want to squat 3 times a week. So would this be sufficient though?[/quote]

No because the squat is the foundation of the program. If you can’t squat 3x per week you need to find another program. Look into a split routine.

Ripptoe’s program revolves around the squat and really doesn’t hold up without it, which if you’ve read some quotes from that guy makes sense.

If you’re set on doing a full body routine you might find more help in the beginner’s section. In the bodybuilding section people are gonna suggest split routines because well they’ve produced the most results time and time again. If you’d like to look into split routines I found Professor X, and Cephalic Carnage’s thread from the best of T-Nation sticky most helpful.

I’m kind of set on doing a full body routine because I’m pressed for time and would only be able to make it to the gym 3 times per week. I was going to try a full body routine for 2-3 months then hopefully my schedule would open up. So any suggestions on a full body routine?

Here’s the schedule I’m on for the next 5 weeks. It’s just a slight variation of a workout protocol from Chad Waterbury. The goal is to get 25 reps total on each exercise using predominantly many sets of short reps.

Session 1

1. Weighted chin ups
  2. Weighted dips
  3. Deadlift
  4. Power Leg extensions (rest 30s)
  5. Standing calf raises (rest 30s)
  6. Incline Russian Twist w/ weight 3X8-12 rotations

Session 2

1. Front Squat
  2. Bench Press
  3. 3 pt DB Row
  4. Reverse Curl (rest 30s)
  5. Overhead triceps extension (rest 30s)
  6. Accentuated crunches on bench 3x8-12

Session 3

1. Barbell hip thrusts
  2. Incline DB bench press
  3. Weighted wide Grip Pull up
  4. Skull crushers (rest 30s)
  5. Seated calf raises (rest 30s)
  6. Hanging leg raises 3X8-12
    7.Ring flys (if you don’t have rings/blast straps, sub w/ cable crossover flys)

General Method: 1. Choose an exercise with a heavy load (a load you could lift for 3-6 reps before failure).
2. Perform one set as fast as possible and terminate 1 rep short of failure.
3. Rest 60s
4. Repeat Step #2 until you’ve reached 25 reps.

why don’t you try it for twelve weeks, log your progress and then let us know if it’s any good. the only way you are going to find out.

[quote]carlthescorp wrote:

1. Barbell hip thrusts

[/quote]

How do you do Barbell Hip thrusts in a commercial Gym with A) Feeling like a retard and B) Looking a retard ?

[quote]elano wrote:
fishman01 wrote:
I understand that lol I know his is better but its just i have a bum knee and i really didn’t want to squat 3 times a week. So would this be sufficient though?

No because the squat is the foundation of the program. If you can’t squat 3x per week you need to find another program. Look into a split routine.[/quote]

LOL!
Elano, you tell the OP that he’s deviating from the program, then you recommend he find another program. Well, the OP made up his own. That IS another program.

And I agree with Alit4. Try it for a cycle and see how it goes. Nearly everything works for a while, provided the work is in earnest.

[quote]optheta wrote:
carlthescorp wrote:

1. Barbell hip thrusts

How do you do Barbell Hip thrusts in a commercial Gym with A) Feeling like a retard and B) Looking a retard ?
[/quote]

The benefits achieved from doing heavy hip thrusts far surpass any chance that you would feel or look like a retard. I guess a couple of things that would reduce the likelihood of the aforementioned problems would be being large enough that anyone seeing you knows whatever exercise you do has to be legit.

Another option would be taking a bench and barbell to an uncrowded part of whatever gym you train at. It is probably one of the top 2 best exercises for strengthening the glutes and hamstrings and the benefits carryover to a wide variety of training from increased increased running speed to increased lifts on other compound lifts and enhanced posterior chain development.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
elano wrote:
fishman01 wrote:

No because the squat is the foundation of the program. If you can’t squat 3x per week you need to find another program. Look into a split routine.

LOL!
Elano, you tell the OP that he’s deviating from the program, then you recommend he find another program. Well, the OP made up his own. That IS another program.

And I agree with Alit4. Try it for a cycle and see how it goes. Nearly everything works for a while, provided the work is in earnest.

I said that because the whole program is based on squatting 3x per week. The deadlift is only done for one set because the increase in the squat poundage is enough to drive up the deadlift. Now that the OP is doing deadlifts instead, he will need to do them for more than just one set. Doing sets of deadlifts 2x per week in addition to the squat is going to stop his progress. I actually tried something similar once and I didn’t even make it to the 2 week mark. I switched to SS and consistently made gains for 3 months. That’s why I sugguested he find a different program that is already tried and true to start with. The SS program is designed to drive up the major lifts and when you start taking out exercises and adding new ones, it doesn’t work right. Rippetoe even bitches about how people want to swap the BB row for the powerclean. The clean also helps drive up the deadlift. It’s not a bodybuilding routine, it’s designed to get the badic barbell lifts up as fast as possible. Sorry for rambling.
[/quote]