I have a friend that's the same way.
Played I-AA outside linebacker at a very good school.
Is ripped to shreds, mostly because of metabolism.
Overtrains like a mofo.
Trains back as an afterthought, and 1/4 as much as the rest of his body.
Has an BA and MBA, well into the six figure range at 29.
Owns his own HUGE and immaculate townhome.
and WILL NOT listen to anything I say, no matter where I get the info from...
1) I'm not ripped, so I don't know anything about diet.
2) I don't train 5-6 days a week or do 5 sets of 10 reps on every exercise, so I don't train "as hard as he does."
3) My lifts are better than his ONLY because I have shorter arms and legs than he does.
4) I don't have my degree in Ex Science and am not certified as a trainer so the workouts I recommend CAN'T be as good as the strength coach from his College football days. He is still doing these college workouts BTW and his bench has only gone up 15 pounds in the 7 yrs since he left college.
5) He doesn't understand why I think curls in the squat rack are stupid, why doing deadlifts are important, and why I don't have a whole day dedicated to training my arms.
I could go on and on and on...