My Friend DOESN'T Believe In Squats!!

I think the problem is with the OP, not the guy who doesn’t want to squat. Your friend is doing X, Y and Z and is happy with his results. So, what’s the problem? He’s achieving the goals he’s set out and you’re giving him crap for it? Maybe you should focus more on yourself and let your friend be.

[quote]Digity wrote:
I think the problem is with the OP, not the guy who doesn’t want to squat. Your friend is doing X, Y and Z and is happy with his results. So, what’s the problem? He’s achieving the goals he’s set out and you’re giving him crap for it? Maybe you should focus more on yourself and let your friend be.[/quote]

thats retarded, its the same logic that ‘hey fat people are eating like shit but their happy, so let them be’ no you should let them know the best way to train/eat is. All you have to do is get the guy to try a squat session with you once he sees how hard it is, and how sore he’ll get then he might realize they are good for him.

[quote]Digity wrote:
I think the problem is with the OP, not the guy who doesn’t want to squat. Your friend is doing X, Y and Z and is happy with his results. So, what’s the problem? He’s achieving the goals he’s set out and you’re giving him crap for it? Maybe you should focus more on yourself and let your friend be.[/quote]

Using that same logic, if said friend was snorting crack, would you let him be because “it makes your friend happy.” If you were a true friend, you sure as hell wouldnt, of course their is a huge disparity in difference between not doing squats and basically being a worthless pos dope fiend.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Digity wrote:
I think the problem is with the OP, not the guy who doesn’t want to squat. Your friend is doing X, Y and Z and is happy with his results. So, what’s the problem? He’s achieving the goals he’s set out and you’re giving him crap for it? Maybe you should focus more on yourself and let your friend be.

thats retarded, its the same logic that ‘hey fat people are eating like shit but their happy, so let them be’ no you should let them know the best way to train/eat is. All you have to do is get the guy to try a squat session with you once he sees how hard it is, and how sore he’ll get then he might realize they are good for him. [/quote]

Doesn’t sound retarded to me. I’m not some kind of fanatic out to heal or convert people who don’t feel the same way I do. If they’re happy being fat, let 'em be. Anonym said it best.

To the OP:
I have a few friends who trained with me. One friend - great guy - approached Squats and Deads believing they’re not necessary, and that he’ll injure himself with them. Well, lo and behold, he did (minor injury). The others came with an open mind, and got good results. Now, I’m not sure if my friend “convinced” himself into an injury, but it damn sure is quite a coincidence!

What I’m trying to say is… You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. Unless your friends comes to you for advice, let him be. He won’t put his heart into it otherwise.

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
Digity wrote:

Using that same logic, if said friend was snorting crack, would you let him be because “it makes your friend happy.” If you were a true friend, you sure as hell wouldnt, of course their is a huge disparity in difference between not doing squats and basically being a worthless pos dope fiend.[/quote]

Because not squatting is on the same level as being a “worthless pos dope fiend”

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
Digity wrote:

Using that same logic, if said friend was snorting crack, would you let him be because “it makes your friend happy.” If you were a true friend, you sure as hell wouldnt, of course their is a huge disparity in difference between not doing squats and basically being a worthless pos dope fiend.[/quote]

If your friend was snorting crack, he’d be TRULY retarded.

One SMOKES crack.

If you’re a sadistic bastard, challenge your pal to squat half the weight he’s leg pressing.

He might just realize Tony Little style training sucks.

Schadenfreude at its finest…

[quote]pachell wrote:
If you’re a sadistic bastard, challenge your pal to squat half the weight he’s leg pressing.

He might just realize Tony Little style training sucks.

Schadenfreude at its finest…[/quote]

Or he’ll quarter squat it, call it ‘parallel’, and tell you it’s too easy and that he needs to do something challenging to stimulate his quads, like bicep curls.

There are some pretty serious internet warriors on this website.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
There are some pretty serious internet warriors on this website.[/quote]

Don’t forget, every one of us is a 6’4" Olympic lifter.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
mr popular wrote:
There are some pretty serious internet warriors on this website.

Don’t forget, every one of us is a 6’4" Olympic lifter.[/quote]

That’s not true, I’m a 6’7" Olympic lifter.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Digity wrote:

thats retarded, its the same logic that ‘hey fat people are eating like shit but their happy, so let them be’ no you should let them know the best way to train/eat is. All you have to do is get the guy to try a squat session with you once he sees how hard it is, and how sore he’ll get then he might realize they are good for him. [/quote]

Who gives two fucks if fat people are fat? And what do you care? Most people don’t give a crap about weightlifting, so why are you trying to do this missionary bullshit?

OP- you been around a while, you know what you’re doing… fuck’em. He doesn’t want to squat, don’t make him. When you’re a lot bigger, he’ll realize it.

But there’s nothing worse in the world than someone saying, “Hey, hey, hey, man, you GOTTA try this exercise! it’s like THE SHIT!” It just makes people less prone to take your advice.

Lifting should speak for itself.

Bottom line, lead by example. If you start squatting and grow he’ll see and then he might reconsider. Lead by example! It’s a 100x more powerful than just words.

I know a guy like him in my gym. He scoffs when he sees me bury 225 for 15. “You’re gonna ruin your knees, bra,” he tells me. He then loads up the leg press with every single plate and a midget and does 1/16 reps. I just dont think you can build legs without squats. This is my opinion. Its a thought process that was instilled in me by a former bodybuilder.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
I know a guy like him in my gym. He scoffs when he sees me bury 225 for 15. “You’re gonna ruin your knees, bra,” he tells me. He then loads up the leg press with every single plate and a midget and does 1/16 reps. I just dont think you can build legs without squats. This is my opinion that was ingrained into my thought process by a former bodybuilder. [/quote]

Tom Platz?

Doesn’t matter what someone believes if it’s not the truth.
You can choose not to believe in gravity, but it’ll show you how wrong you are when you take a step off the 20th floor, bucko.

[quote]

Because not squatting is on the same level as being a “worthless pos dope fiend”[/quote]

I personally demand that all my friends and sexual partners are tested for their 1 RM back squat.

That sounds like a good idea (although my squats are laughable). What is your requirement for minimum 1RM?

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
That sounds like a good idea (although my squats are laughable). What is your requirement for minimum 1RM? [/quote]

1.5 X bodyweight for friends and acquaintances. For chicks, squatting my bodyweight is a must for what I have planned with them.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
njrusmc wrote:
That sounds like a good idea (although my squats are laughable). What is your requirement for minimum 1RM?

1.5 X bodyweight for friends and acquaintances. For chicks, squatting my bodyweight is a must for what I have planned with them.[/quote]

o.O