My Friend DOESN'T Believe In Squats!!

Yup, it’s true. I’ve been reading T-Nation for a few years now, and lifting as well. I’ve gotten pretty big and strong, but have let myself go over the last 6 months or so, I had to relocate and my wife had a baby, so my time to lift has been slim to none.

Things have changed. I’m back in the gym now, albeit in a different one, in a different city, and I’ve been able to reconnect with one of my best friends from auld lang sine (scots translation: “long long ago”).

We’ve decided to be workout partners, but there’s a problem: HE DOESNT BELIEVE IN SQUATS. According to him, he made great progress in the marine corps without ever doing squats, so why do them now? I replied that “verification is non-scientific” and of course, he rolled his eyes at me.

I’ve told him the benefits I could recall off the top of my head (strength, stabilization, explosive power, energy systems, work capacity, etc), but I think he needs to read some of the top strength and conditioning coaches in the world espouse the greatness of this incredible lift.

If any of you have favorite articles that talk about the greatness of the squat (and front squat too!), PLEASE post a link or two for him here, I’ll be dragging him here eventually, but some good reading will certainly help convince him.

thanks folks.

-K

Can’t you just give him “Starting Strength”? It’s all in there.

Let him avoid squats while you keep doing them. In 6 months time when your thigh development is passing up his, he’ll be much more inclined to listen.

Tell him they are more real than the Easter Bunny and drag your sorry ass back to the Politics Forum.

I need someone I can have a decent argument with.

As a Marine infantryman, I have no idea how he got good leg development. Sure, some of the runs and hikes left us sore, but nothing generated the explosive power or heavy lifting from an explicit squat exercise. To each his own, I suppose.

What does he do then? leg press? that is like a horizantal, easy version of the squat

Then he will never be squat. Find a new friend.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Tell him they are more real than the Easter Bunny and drag your sorry ass back to the Politics Forum.

I need someone I can have a decent argument with.[/quote]

LOL hey zap, been awhile! I’ve actually got just the thing for you to read, I’ll post it when I get off work!

Anyone have a link to that starting strength article? I’m looking for it, but haven’t found it yet. Even just a year it was written in would help.

[quote]knewsom wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I need someone I can have a decent argument with.

LOL hey zap, been awhile! I’ve actually got just the thing for you to read, I’ll post it when I get off work!

Anyone have a link to that starting strength article? I’m looking for it, but haven’t found it yet. Even just a year it was written in would help.[/quote]

It’s a book. It’s highly recommended around here and worth every penny.

Advise him to keep clear of squats, because they’re for grown men only.

So wait, he’s a marine…but he’s a pussy?

While all of your suggestions are good, they probably won’t work. I think mr. popular is on the right track. In my experience, most people will not listen when told they are wrong.

Your friend is convinced that squats will not benefit him, so giving him a book written by someone he doesn’t know or trust won’t help, nor will a bunch of online strangers with even fewer credentials.

Although honestly he doesn’t NEED to squat to build good legs, it just helps a lot. Just keep doing your own thing, offer to help him if he needs it, and just leave it alone beyond that.

[quote]Otep wrote:
.[/quote]

I’ll spot her anytime.

[quote]knewsom wrote:
Yup, it’s true. I’ve been reading T-Nation for a few years now, and lifting as well. I’ve gotten pretty big and strong, but have let myself go over the last 6 months or so, I had to relocate and my wife had a baby, so my time to lift has been slim to none.

Things have changed. I’m back in the gym now, albeit in a different one, in a different city, and I’ve been able to reconnect with one of my best friends from auld lang sine (scots translation: “long long ago”).

We’ve decided to be workout partners, but there’s a problem: HE DOESNT BELIEVE IN SQUATS. According to him, he made great progress in the marine corps without ever doing squats, so why do them now? I replied that “verification is non-scientific” and of course, he rolled his eyes at me.

I’ve told him the benefits I could recall off the top of my head (strength, stabilization, explosive power, energy systems, work capacity, etc), but I think he needs to read some of the top strength and conditioning coaches in the world espouse the greatness of this incredible lift.

If any of you have favorite articles that talk about the greatness of the squat (and front squat too!), PLEASE post a link or two for him here, I’ll be dragging him here eventually, but some good reading will certainly help convince him.

thanks folks.

-K[/quote]

Does he also believe in being a smally puny weakling his entire life?

I think you simply misheard your friend. Or, perhaps he misspoke.

I’m sure what he meant to communicate was, “They’re too hard, so I don’t wanna do them.”

Hell, he might just not be a leg training guy - ain’t nothing wrong with that. To each, their own.

Maybe he thinks he will be fine with leg presses and extensions - ain’t nothing wrong with that. To each, their own. People have built decent legs without the squat.

Maybe he thinks his legs “get enough work from running”. If that’s what he’s into, so be it.

Squats are really one of those exercises that you need to believe in for them to work - it’s just so damn easy to wimp out, otherwise.

Definitely do your research, but keep in mind that the best reason for why he should be squatting will come from you when you bust your ass doing them and start seeing some serious progress.

[quote]Otep wrote:
.[/quote]

I’m in love… seriously.

just make fun of him on how he is scared of them, and how like ‘didn’t think a marine would back down from such a simple exercise’ ext

Eventually give him enough shit to try it, start him off with something really hard where he will have trouble walking next day then he might realize it might be worth his time. If he has flexibility issue at first, throw some plates under him so that he can get the full rom.

squat is the best single lift there is it works on everything but his quads r gonna suck if he doesnt do them and tell him it works great on core strength and will make abs stronger n tighter n biggger

Here’s a link to Starting Strength, which even if it doesn’t help is still a good read.