My First Training Log: Smolov Jr for Bench

I started lifting seriously in January. For about 7 months straight I have been doing the 5/3/1. I have my records from something like months back, so I will post those with my latest

Im 5’11", 170, 27yrs.

PR:
Bench: 165x4—>180x4
Dead : 260x8—>330x3
Press: 105x6—>120x4
Squat: ??? —>215x5
Chin : ??? —>50 x5

I don’t have much squat info cause I did squats for a few months, but was not happy with my form and stopped for a while… and when I started again I dropped the weight drastically, and now focus on form… I could probably squat more weight for more reps, but I frankly hate squats and so I am happy taking it really easy with squating. I also started doing weighted chins… to me the chin is probably the most important lift… I could give a damn about the big 3 if chins aint on that list. For me the big 3 are bench, deads, and chins/pullups!

So anyway, after stalling out on bench last week I got pissed off and decided to change my training up a bit. After doing a lot of looking around at programs, I realized that almost all strength programs involve LOADS of squatting and this doesn’t jive with me. I would much rather bench, chin, and row 3 days a week than SQUAT 3 days. YEAH YEAH. I know, king of exercises … bla bla bla… aint my thing.

So I wrote up a mad cow for myself, but I left squats only on wednesday, and replaces the mon/fri squats with chins… because thats whats important to me… and then I was complaining to my co-worker about how SQUATING 3 DAYS A WEEK is acceptable… but NO OTHER LIFT IS DONE THAT FREQUENTLY in most strength programs. And he tells me about SMOLOV JR and i was like… well damn. I am gonna run that! I consider my bench to be among my weakest lifts, so hopefully smolov helps.

So I started this training log, wanna pitch in my smolov experience to expand the information base.

I based my smolov off a 200 1rm. I think I could get 210, but I don’t really have any interest in actually trying a 1rm… so my 200 is based on 10lbs less than what I think I could do.

My program looks like this:
WEEK 1

6x6 140
7x5 150
8x4 160
10x3 170

WEEK 2

6x6 150
7x5 160
8x4 170
10x3 180

WEEK 3

6x6 155
7x5 165
8x4 175
10x3 185

The only assistance work I am doing is on days 1, 2, and 4… get my rest in on day 3 so I aint dead on day 4. I am doing 3x5 weighted pullups and 100 situps. thats all, nothing crazy.

Two other things.

I also started doing shoulder dislocations 3x10. After reading a few threads about smolov bench, I grasped that I need to be really aware of my shoulder health.

And the other thing is that I started GOMAD… because I also read that many feel they didn’t eat enough or rest enough… so I aint making this mistake either. I am going for FAT AND STRONG BEHBEH.

I suggest that you do a MINIMUM of a 1:1 bench:back ratio to maintain shoulder health and balance.

[quote]DanHill64 wrote:
I suggest that you do a MINIMUM of a 1:1 bench:back ratio to maintain shoulder health and balance.[/quote]

I already have Pullups 3 days a week for 3x5… You think I should throw in db Rows? And up my pullups? What would you being doing for assistance?

IMO you should add more volume via band pull apart variations and facepulls.

If you are doing over 30 sets of pressing each week, make sure you make at least 30 sets of pulls each week.

It doesnt hace to be all rows/chins, you can add a lot of volume easy just by adding 4 or 5 sets of face pulls or band pull-aparts each day you train. It won’t affect your recovery and are fast to do after/between your pressing sets.

Also remember to keep this in the 15-20 rep range. I would suggest the same for chins or rows, dont go all-out on this.

Edit/

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
IMO you should add more volume via band pull apart variations and facepulls.[/quote]

Damm, I am too slow!

[quote]HatersGunaHate wrote:
If you are doing over 30 sets of pressing each week, make sure you make at least 30 sets of pulls each week.

It doesnt hace to be all rows/chins, you can add a lot of volume easy just by adding 4 or 5 sets of face pulls or band pull-aparts each day you train. It won’t affect your recovery and are fast to do after/between your pressing sets.

Also remember to keep this in the 15-20 rep range. I would suggest the same for chins or rows, dont go all-out on this.

Edit/

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
IMO you should add more volume via band pull apart variations and facepulls.[/quote]

Damm, I am too slow![/quote]

Word. I have a set of rings that I have often done facepulls with. Do you think band pull-aparts are more effective for shoulder health? Cause if so, I will def go buy some bands… don’t currently own any. Or will ring facepulls suffice?

Just do a set of some kind of pulling in between your pressing movements, be it face pulls, band pull-aparts, chins, rows or rear delt raises.

Anyway, if you have the money for it, get some bands, you wont regret.

So this was yesterday:
Day 1
Woke up stupid early at 7, had to fix my car. I ate a huge breakfast… two tacos with two eggs a piece, quart of milk, two pieces of toast with pralinuta. I took my preworkout and knocked out day 1 of smolov without any problems. I knew it would be easy… it’s week 3 that scares me… bloated from drinking a gallon of whole milk… this is my third time doing gomad. I always get mega bloated, and slightly fat. Usually only takes two weeks or so to lean up again. I stay around 12% bodyfat… and gomad doesn’t pull me TOO far from that… I normally drink more than half a gallon a day anyway…

ANYWAY. SMOLOV DAY ONE, DONE… EASY. IM READY TO GET MUTILATED BY U SMOLOV. LETS DO IT.

There’s a training log section of the site where you can keep a log for yourself. Please don’t clutter the rest of the forum. I don’t want to come into the general powerlifting forum and read everybody’s diary. Now, if you keep a decent log, I might take a look at it.