My First Tattoo

High school was a rough time for me. When senior year finally rolled around I was ecstatic. I thought my life was going to magically turn for the better once i graduated. Well that all came to a close when I was expelled early into the year. I found myself out of school, out of the job, and severely out of shape. (I was 6’2" and 240 pounds, never lifted a day in my life.)

I few months passed and I had done nothing. I started to get extremely depressed. I woke up every day with no motivation except to eat food and play computer games. After looking every where else, I turned to the one place I had not tried for help. I never really was a spiritual person, but I prayed one night for the strength to make a difference.

The next day I was more motivated about making a change then I was my entire life. I went out and got a job. I took the test and got my GED. But there was still one thing missing. One last look in the mirror at my fat ass. I dieted. I ran. I lifted. I made a change.

Well its been a year and a half since then. I am now 203 pounds, around 10-12% body fat. My life has improved so much that I thank God every day for giving me strength.

My tattoo is a reminder of that one night when my life changed forever.

I really like it. It has meaning and it’s one of those tatts that makes you do a double take to realize what it is really portraying. Nice choice.

Nice bro. I shared my first tattoo here on T-Nation too. It’s awesome when a Tattoo at has a meaning, like yours definately shows.

Take that, and expand your life. seek the best.

Rock on.

Lets just hope you never get your wits back and become either an atheist or, worse yet, a rational christian.

It says, of two men who love one another, you are the woman.

Edit: That was from some shitty NBC sitcom a couple of years ago. I have tatoos and don’t begrudge yours at all.

[quote]BigPaul wrote:
Lets just hope you never get your wits back and become either an atheist or, worse yet, a rational christian.[/quote]

That’s an interesting statement…
It is one that I am sure you have no idea as to the extent of the implications. Either way I really don’t think religion matters in this case.

Does it really matter who Jesus’s father was? I think he earned the respect of man through his own doing. Atheist, christian. or otherwise, I think of Jesus as a pretty good role model. And I really don’t see the basis for regret in eternalizing that in the form of a tattoo. Even if he changes religion or denounces it all together, the demarkation point that the tattoo represents is obviously significant in relation to the first quarter of his life experience. And to use a man that is revered for his selflessness and wisdom in the face of the ignorant majority as a singular symbol of positive change is a far cry from the tasmanian devil on your shoulder or the grim reaper on your forearm.

Good choice…and Godspeed.

[quote]BigPaul wrote:
Lets just hope you never get your wits back and become either an atheist or, worse yet, a rational christian.[/quote]

I have the same tattoo on my shoulder and I got that when I was an Elder of the uniting church I attended. I no longer consider myself a ‘Christian’ but still maintain many of the beliefs that are tha basis of christianity. I still love my tattoo (although it has seen a bit too much sun and is a bit faded now) and serves to remind of my belief in a greater power. Maybe one day I will even go back to living the life I did before. Who knows.

[quote]Donzi wrote:

That’s an interesting statement…
It is one that I am sure you have no idea as to the extent of the implications. Either way I really don’t think religion matters in this case.

Does it really matter who Jesus’s father was? I think he earned the respect of man through his own doing. Atheist, christian. or otherwise, I think of Jesus as a pretty good role model. And I really don’t see the basis for regret in eternalizing that in the form of a tattoo. Even if he changes religion or denounces it all together, the demarkation point that the tattoo represents is obviously significant in relation to the first quarter of his life experience. And to use a man that is revered for his selflessness and wisdom in the face of the ignorant majority as a singular symbol of positive change is a far cry from the tasmanian devil on your shoulder or the grim reaper on your forearm.

Good choice…and Godspeed.[/quote]

A brief statement on my part does not necessarily mean that it was made in haste and without thought. I also agree that jesus is a good role model to have, he’s one of mine in fact, along with most other religious PROPHETS (as opposed to the religious PROFITS who serve as the pop-religious figure heads for many in this country and their associated movements), and those figures who brought both great wars and great peace to the peoples and nations of the world across history.

Aside from that I agree with your post, could have done much worse as far as symbolism, etc. is concerned with what the tatoo is. I just have a general problem with people who get tatoos to ‘remember’ something about themselves and their life’s commitments. I feel they are kind of a cop out - if something is really important to you or you have made a really important decision, don’t you think you could remember it without the aid of a tatoo.

I also have an issue with those people in this country who have essentially hijacked my religion. I’m not sure what your experience with this has been, given your geography. But the fellow in question’s post sounds very similar to the archetypal testimony that is told by many a ‘christian’ in the US these days about finding god and him changing their lives. I wish it were the case that people gave greater thought to choosing a religion, chosing a code by which to live the rest of one’s life is no small task, and is something I think should involve more than one night’s ponderings. Similarly, I hope our friend gave a lot of thought to his tatoo.

Nothing against extrordinarily religious people, I just think they give themselves too little credit. Did god really change their lives, or did they figure themselves out and decide to make changes in their lives at the same time that they, in the process of figuring themselves out, figured out that a particular religion, or a variant of a religion fit as a part of their life.

It should be said, I suppose for posterity’s sake that the tatoo is abstract enough to have a decent cover done should the need ever arise.

[quote]helga wrote:

I have the same tattoo on my shoulder and I got that when I was an Elder of the uniting church I attended. I no longer consider myself a ‘Christian’ but still maintain many of the beliefs that are tha basis of christianity. I still love my tattoo (although it has seen a bit too much sun and is a bit faded now) and serves to remind of my belief in a greater power. Maybe one day I will even go back to living the life I did before. Who knows.[/quote]

Call me a cynic, but it seems to me that a great deal of the meaningful, or non-ideological, commentray on religion that I come across comes from people who do not reside in the US.

Just an observation.

Funny, cause the first thing I thought of when I saw that tat was this.

|/ 3Toes

I like that, its a cool design.

I have a celtic cross on my back (very similar in style to my avatar), and it means alot. I’m a Catholic depending on what day it is, of course…so the tattoo kind of reminds me of the lifelong struggle I have with God, organized religion, and the absurdness of life.

That and I didn’t have enough money for an armband off the wall :wink:

[quote]Call me a cynic, but it seems to me that a great deal of the meaningful, or non-ideological, commentray on religion that I come across comes from people who do not reside in the US.

Just an observation.[/quote]

Call me an idiot but I am not sure that I understand what you are trying to say here. Can you expand a little? I am interested to understand

I don’t get it… What’s a tattoo of Lemmy from Motorhead got to do with the power to make a difference ?

drock, good job on getting your act together. Don’t let off !

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:
Funny, cause the first thing I thought of when I saw that tat was this.

|/ 3Toes[/quote]

I know that guy too.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:

I know that guy too.[/quote]

Kinda a cross between Bob Marley and Jesus, don’t you think?

|/ 3Toes

[quote]helga wrote:
Call me an idiot but I am not sure that I understand what you are trying to say here. Can you expand a little? I am interested to understand[/quote]

Not gonna call you an idiot, I know that not to be the case. My brief and agitated mutterings are not always too clear, your confusion is completely warranted. I guess I’m just making a frustrated observation that most discussion I find on the boards, here and on other sites, at least that originating with my fellow countrymen, be it political-, religious-, or otherwise based, is in a way pre-scripted to a certain extent.

Too much political discussion is based in the talking points of our political/religious/special interest parties and their agents - the pundits, and most religious discourse I’ve born witness to more or less follows the talking points and archetypal narratives provided by the religious parties that exist here, the so-called moral majority, the related evangelical movement and its own figureheads/celebrities (yes these people have a deal of fame and do profit quite handsomely from it).

Very little discussion actually addresses the substantive issues at hand. Very little independently formulated opinions or views are expressed, just the same stuff I could have found on the republican or democratic parties’ websites, the editorial pages of a website, magazine or newspaper, evangelical websites or in some political or religious fixture’s books.

Of course, little original thought or ideas actually exist, but the fact that the great volume of discourse on such theoretically interesting and complex topics is often very narrowly defined by a subset of often reductive and ideologial arguments or talking-points bothers me.

Now, it may well be the case that the discourse elsewhere in the world is similarly confined to those arguments and positions advanced by a few individuals and groups who figure prominently in societies at large or subgroups contained therein. As discourse here is largely constrained in terms of participation by the geographically diverse by the fact that the english language is the medium by which ideas are conveyed.

That said, even if discourse is similarly constrained elsewhere, those constraints (the arguments and ideas of the figureheads previously mentioned, which prevade discourse) are different than those prominent in the states. This being the case I find them more satisfying intellectually and otherwise as the dominant modes of thought and lines of inquiry are different than those that are pervasive in much of the discourse of the states.

My comment was, I suppose, commentary on the fact that there are other modalities of thought and lines of inquiry beyond those that are preceived by the often dualistic american culture to be the issues of import and contention with regard to a specific topic or variant thereof.

[quote]BigPaul wrote:
Not gonna call you an idiot, I know that not to be the case. My brief and agitated mutterings are not always too clear, your confusion is completely warranted. I guess I’m just making a frustrated observation that most discussion I find on the boards, here and on other sites, at least that originating with my fellow countrymen, be it political-, religious-, or otherwise based, is in a way pre-scripted to a certain extent. [/quote]

Thank you for the clarification. Firther, Thank you for displaying your excellent command of our language, your intellect and your wisdom. It is too often lacking in our society.

I agree with the everything that you have said (although I cannot comment on issues current in the states as I dont live there) so I will not repeat.

My only additional observation to add (and agree with you upon) is that I do not believe other countries outside of the US to be significantly different when it comes to individually formulated opinions and thoughts (however, I can only speak for my experience here is Australia). Yes they may be different thoughts and concepts, but still subject to the same confinement you discussed in your post.

And finally, as much as I hate to admit it, and try to avoid it, I am sure that I myself am guided by the confinement of the society in which I live more that I would like to be.