My First Strongman Contest

That looked like fun. The videos were great!

Great job and thanks for posting the vids.

Why did you pull the sled Backwards??? We’ve had better luck pulling forwards.

TNT

Hey, congratulations! You look strong and gave your best effort.

And about the handles on the Viking press, I propose that there should be a compensation for people with a shorter reach. You have to work harder with the torque.

You did an awesome, awesome job and should be really proud of your performance! This kind of comp can be VERY hard to train for and oftentimes you don’t get to actually practice doing something until you have to do it on comp day. That can be nerve-wracking for sure!

Watching the videos, you managed that keg just fine, but the rubber mat on the trailer kept catching on it and making it really tough to dump. That was their fault, not yours … bad set-up, IMO. Three times you had it up high enough, but the mat got in the way. That ain’t right.

Still, great job and I hope you’ll do it again!

Cappy

That was awesome! I felt like I was there! Almost felt like I was the one trying to put the keg on the truck and getting pissed that the rubber mat kept flipping up and preventing the keg from getting on it.

I swear you could see all the guys watching holding back from wanting to help with that damn mat! I think being the same height also made me identify greatly with you. I’m curious whether the men used the same height of truck/platform that they had to place the objects on?

That Viking Press looked like the hardest thing there. Serious back involvement I think. How the heck would you train for it? Push presses and pull ups?

Thank you so much for sharing photos and videos. You truly are one Powerful Woman! Great attitude and effort. Just all around impressive!

Great job Jill!

Little advice,

next time on the keg grip the bottom handle and the top lip. when loading it put it in your lap and put your hands around the outside of it and hug it tight and extend. You would have had it easy.

Wow, Jill, that’s really cool! I was right there, too, coming out of my seat trying to help get that keg up there.

You’re bold. What a great time. Thanks for sharing the videos.

Simply OUTSTANDING, Boppy!

(I found myself yelling for you when you were pushing that Keg over the top! Were you cursing at that matt? LOL!)

Great job!

And thanks for the cool pics and videos!

Mufasa

Awesome Job Jilly! Now you have a bench mark! You know what to expect next time and will come in 1st. I’m confident in ya!

Loved the video’s!

Jrow

Holy hell, good stuff Jilly.

Outstanding, thanks for sharing; very inspiring.

Thanks so much, everybody! :slight_smile:

I felt good last night, but am sore today (getting sorer as the day goes on) mostly upper back, traps, shoulders. Not too bad, though.

About the rubber mat on the keg, I didn’t even realize that was happening at the time, but looking at the video I wonder if it hampered me.

I forgot to mention that I went FIRST for every single event. I would have benefitted from seeing some other people go first, esp on the odd object lift.

TNT, the sled pull was backwards, I didn’t have a choice.

YoMomma, yup, being smaller is not a good thing for strongman in general. I will get at least one rep on that fucker next year, though!

Bratt, push presses are an important lift for strongman. I’m working with around 100lbs now and I knew that 150 was going to be really tough.

Kalle, someone told me the same thing after the event. I saw some others do it and it worked well for them.

I’m feeling pretty happy with how I did now that I’ve had time to digest everything. My sister had a big cookout today and I brought the trophy to show her and everybody was asking me all about the contest. Most of them didn’t know what to think, lol. The trophy is a riot!

[quote]Jillybop wrote:

The trophy is a riot!

[/quote]

You should dress up like that for Halloween.

Nice work Jilly and it looks like a blast too.
And I agree with Momma, that would be a kick ass halloween costume.

Kudos, Jillybop! Having tagged along with ouro to her first strength comp (and whined the whole time about being “only a 100 pounds!!”), I can attest to the TOUGHNESS of the different events…even though they vary a lot from comp to comp, it seems.

I just know ouro and TNT’s Amazonian rowers, who are now psyching up/training for the mid-August Woodstock, Ontario contest have been inspired by your participation and report/videos, so good timing!

ok Jilly- I’ll just ask you here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Who, when, what, where, why and how? lol…

Who did you train with and how did you find the resources?

When did you start training for your first comp. and how did it differ from what you were doing on your own?(assuming you’ve been doing things on your own for awhile)

How long did you train before your comp.?

Any words of wisdom for anyone that may be interested in pursuing strongman stuff?

THANKS!!

I was drafting my reply to your thread and just posted it :slight_smile:

Hi Jilly, we are probably from the same area because Sandy was my trainer too. I think 2001-2003 I was with her. What a small world. She kicks some serious butt compared to the other trainers around. (^:

Jilly -

You have more balls than most men on this site.

Like others have said - I was leaning in my chair to help you. That Viking press looks like a bitch.

Great job. And I don’t mean that like “lost 5 pounds” great. You’re doing shit - not talkng about it.

We need more jillybops here at T-Nation.

RJ, you say the sweetest things :x