My First Squat Rack Curler

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
PGJ wrote:
Everybody needs to get over the squat rack curls cliche. In my crowded gym, if you want to do curls with an olympic bar, the rack is the only place to do it. If nobody is waiting to do squats, who cares?

Now, if somebody sees you working out and proceedes to stand directly in front of you blocking your view, that is a lack of gym ettiquet.

I curl in a squat rack sometimes. Big deal.

That’s what I was gonna say. What’re you gonna take a barbell out of the squat rack and go curl somewhere else? Jesus Christ people, is a curl not as equally valid of an exercise as a squat? I can understand if there was nowhere else to squat and plenty of bars lying around to curl… but all things being equal, if he’s there first he’s got the right to the equipment.

Not to say that people curling in the rack with a nickel on each side don’t like like fools…[/quote]

Yes, but he wasn’t there first, and you can always grab a bar from one of the benches. There are usually 10 benches to every squat rack in the gym.

Kill’Em All I think I know a way to keep this problem from ever happening again. You’re already pretty big, especially for your height. But you need to get bigger.

You need to to get so massive, defined, and cut-by-Michaelangelo-looking that everybody in the gym just does whatever exercise you’re doing. When they come to borrow the power rack and you ask what they want to do they’ll reply “whatever the fuck you’re doing!”

At least the kid wasn’t doing squats in the curl rack.

on top of the preacher curl station

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
on top of the preacher curl station[/quote]

This made me think.

You can take the preacher curl bench and use it for box squats.

If you’re 8 feet tall

Same kind of thing happened to me the other day. I had seen posts on here about Bro’s doing curls in the squat rack/cage but I thought it was all just some kind of joke.

The other day I go in, looking to do some hack squats or something exciting, and there’s some freaking Bro just doing curls in the cage over and over and over. He finally stopped, and started doing forearm stuff, and then he did some kind of weird “pick it up off of the ground even though there’s only 10’s on each side” kind of lift.

He was literally in there for 30 minutes, while I counted at least 5 other open barbells.

Well at home there is NOBODY waiting for you to finish, so do whatever the hell you like in the squat rack.

For me, as long as the person curling is not using up the last available power/squat rack. Its not a problem.

Still… I am going get a chuckle out of it.

[quote]Irish Muscle wrote:
what about big guys who curl in the squat rack?

also what about me, i train at home and i have a squat rack. i always curl in it to. I use it for military pressing as well, and sometimes, i stand in the middle of it and just look at myself in the mirror.

Does this make me an asshole?

…[/quote]

Nahh. You would be an asshole anyway. :wink:

I think it is quite funny that people need to show everyone else how hardcore they are by complaining about people curling in the squat rack. It has been done to death.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Jesus Christ people, is a curl not as equally valid of an exercise as a squat?

[quote]

I think I just pissed myself from laughing too hard.

I used to get pretty mad when somebody used the squat rack for curls. But then I realized that in a college rec center, if you don’t use the squat rack for curls you are the minority. so I came up with a solution…
He who uses the greatest weight gets the rack.

I use the squat-rack for military press / push press too. But that’s just because it’s so much easier, when totally exhausted from a hard workout, to just throw the barbell into the rack, than to gently place it down on the floor.

Nobody at my gym ever uses the squat racks (unless they are doing 1/4 squats of course). On the odd day I’ll usually do some curls with the olympic bar after im done my routine, just cause I could use the extra arm development.

[quote]MisterAmazing wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
Jesus Christ people, is a curl not as equally valid of an exercise as a squat?

I think I just pissed myself from laughing too hard.[/quote]

Yes yes you are super tough I’m sure and squat 8,000 pounds and have never done a curl in your life. Bravo to you.

The squat is a great exercise. The curl is a great exercise. Depending on your goals, one might be just as important as the other. It’s just hilarious to me to see people who act like they are above doing curls or are too hardcore for that. There’s nothing wrong with a little bicep development people.

There is nothing wrong with doing curls, or curling in the cage/bathroom/women’s locker room. The only problem with people curling in the cage is when there’s at least 5 other places for them to do it with only one cage.

*Edit: only one cage in which someone is waiting to use

It only makes it worse when the guy is a total bro and all he does is curl in the cage after he shoots free throws for 20 minutes. At school there’s some people that do that all the time.

That’s how I see it.

Hrmm… even if you have a home gym, theres certain things you shouldn’t do between sets.

Squat Rack Curls are annoying but there are worse.

1. Talking on cell phone while on a machine

2. Talking on cell phone between sets

3. Playing techno-disco music

4. Not racking your weights

5. Not wiping your sweat

6. Doing a set while standing directly in front of the dumbbell rack.

We’d all get along great in the gym if we don’t act like self absorbed meat heads.

[quote]Charged wrote:
Man this forum is going to shit, U got so angry, so wanted to hit him, that u said nothing and left like a little baby and ask people what you SHOULD of said. nice…[/quote]

Why is he a baby for not yelling at the kid or hitting him? Since when is being civil a juvenile pasttime?

It seems that it all worked out fine. If people aren’t bothering anyone, why not let them curl in the squat rack? I curled in my basement rack last night.

DB

[quote]Taquito wrote:
Hrmm… even if you have a home gym, theres certain things you shouldn’t do between sets.[/quote]

Nothing is off limits in my home gym. Sometimes, I drop trou and just look at my gloriousness in the mirror. It gets me pumped for my next set.

DB