My First Squat Rack Curler

So there I was doing deadlifts in front of the open squat rack. I prefer to do them there over the power rack where I feel trapped.

I was feeling a little sluggish from my lack of carbs, so I wasn’t pulling anything extra heavy. I was sitting in front of my deads just listening to my earphones and zoning everyone else out.

THis friggin 15 or 16 year old kid comes up and blocks my path and asks if he could do curls in front of me since im not using the rack. I first said are you gonna squat? He said no way CURLS!

I just laughed and said i’ll be done in a few sets, he than agreed to wait.

Man I wanted to pop this kid. I wanted to tell him that in my old gyms people were killed for comments like that.
I ended up just brushing it off.

What should I of said? WHat would you of said?

I dont think its a big deal if no one wants to do squats.

I’d have pointed out that it’s not a curl rack but a squat rack. At that point, he’d have had the right to point out it’s a squat rack, not a deadlift area.

But I think your solution worked for you and him, so…good job.

The important question is: Do you think he had good form?

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
Man I wanted to pop this kid. I wanted to tell him that in my old gyms people were killed for comments like that.
[/quote]

Why? If he wasn’t interfering with anyone else, I don’t see what the big deal is.

Man this forum is going to shit, U got so angry, so wanted to hit him, that u said nothing and left like a little baby and ask people what you SHOULD of said. nice…

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Kill’Em All wrote:

Why? If he wasn’t interfering with anyone else, I don’t see what the big deal is.[/quote]

I would say it IS interfering if someone wants to stand in front of you while you deadlift.

However, since he asked if it was ok, and wasn’t a smartass when you said no, I think everyone handled it well.

I dunno…sometimes I use the racks for rack cleans and only work my way up to 225; there have been plenty of times when people wanted to hop in for heavy squats. What’s the ettiquete there? I would hope somebody wouldn’t haul off and hit me. If someone is on a machine or rack before you, that’s their right…even if it is to just curl. Just have to be patient in my opinion.

Its hard to explain why he was a smart ass. He kept flexing behind me and looking in the mirror right next to me. With his little cut off led zepplin shirt.

There was 3 benchs in the gym where he could have done curls, 1 power rack where he could have done curls.

Excuse me for coming from a HS that kicked you out of the gym if you did curls and couldnt clean more than you weigh.

aaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmm no suffering through attachments buddha.

I would’ve said “Is the weight you’re curling that heavy that you need a rack for it?”

And then I would’ve said “so why don’t you just curl from the ground and get some extra work in with the lift?”

And then I would’ve said “you might not know this, but there’s a whole tribe of lifters on the internet who think that curling in the rack is like pissing in a church”.

And hopefully after that I’d have someone I can say g’day to in the gym and can use for spots and some such. And maybe even give some advice too and help out with their progress.

Actually nah scratch that. I just would’ve punched him in the face.

Everybody needs to get over the squat rack curls cliche. In my crowded gym, if you want to do curls with an olympic bar, the rack is the only place to do it. If nobody is waiting to do squats, who cares?

Now, if somebody sees you working out and proceedes to stand directly in front of you blocking your view, that is a lack of gym ettiquet.

I curl in a squat rack sometimes. Big deal.

aaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmm no suffering through attachments buddha.[/quote]

Why did you write this?

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
Kill’Em All wrote:
aaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmm no suffering through attachments buddha.

Why did you write this?[/quote]

I was responding to someone who said, don’t let it bother you do nothing say nothing.
So i threw out the dont let the attachments of what your beliefs hold cause you anger thus suffering. but I
digress.

So to play devil’s advocate, since curls are wrong, if it is a “squat” rack…military presses OK? deadlifts? piss poor form shallow knee bends?

anything but curls unless your using 185 lbs. then you can get a pre loaded bar.

I does anyone here know the powerful time it is when your deadlifting, and when people cross in front of you as your getting ready its kind of disrespectful.

hum… you could have let the kid do the curls. Wait for him to start huffing-&-puffing, and then you lift the big-weights making a loud and painful sounding yell/growl and then slam the weights.

The kid would be scared of having you directly behind him and would run away.

I’d give the kid props for being a 15 year old kid and having a led zepp t-shirt on.

or

You could have reminded yourself that he’s just a kid and explained that it is poor form and potentially dangerous to walk in front of someone while deadlifting. Especially if that person’s internet screen name is kill em all

I wanted to tell him that in my old gyms people were killed for comments like that. [/quote]

Except that would’ve been a lie.

Might have asked him

Do you have a sister?
Does she look as sweet as you?

excuse me my testosterone surges when I do deadlifts.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Everybody needs to get over the squat rack curls cliche. In my crowded gym, if you want to do curls with an olympic bar, the rack is the only place to do it. If nobody is waiting to do squats, who cares?

Now, if somebody sees you working out and proceedes to stand directly in front of you blocking your view, that is a lack of gym ettiquet.

I curl in a squat rack sometimes. Big deal. [/quote]

That’s what I was gonna say. What’re you gonna take a barbell out of the squat rack and go curl somewhere else? Jesus Christ people, is a curl not as equally valid of an exercise as a squat? I can understand if there was nowhere else to squat and plenty of bars lying around to curl… but all things being equal, if he’s there first he’s got the right to the equipment.

Not to say that people curling in the rack with a nickel on each side don’t like like fools…