My First Powerlifting Meet

I had a last minute opportunity to participate in my first Powerlifting Meet (The European Armed Forces Meet in Germany) today. I have been lifting hard for 2 years but not specifically for powerlifting (although the squat, bench, and DL are cornerstones to my gym time). I have read a bit about PL here and there on T-Nation and elsewhere, but I did not really know what to expect today.

I was thankful right off the bat that there was an extra wrestling singlet at the gym, I did not know I needed one (like I said, I wasn’t sure what I was getting in to). Of course, I did not have all the lifting gear (bench shirt, knee wraps, etc), but I am happy to report personal bests in the squat and deadlift (265 and 375).

I was disappointed in my bench, my first attempt was too heavy and I learned that you cannot lower your initial lift (live and learn) so I did not have a qualifying bench :frowning:

I was most impressed with the camaraderie and support among the lifters. Everyone was so helpful and encouraging, from the huge guys putting up big numbers to the first time female lifters (it was cool to see the female lifters hitting their big lifts!)

My first PL meet was a super fun time and I’m definitely going to do more, especially now that I know what to expect and how to better prepare. Everyone starts somewhere. And I’ll definitely be doing my homework now and reading up here to make next time even better!!

Koots, congratulations, you made the step to compete, well done!
As you said you have learned a lot.
What height / weight are you?
I hope you have come back with more enthusiasm than ever!
Yes the attitude of most people involved in the sport (including your competitors) is usually very helpful.

Keep it up, what are your goals and when is your next competition?

Koots - Congratulations on doing your first
meet. That’s the hardest part. Glad you
had a good time.

Rick

Having never competed in a Powerlifting competition, I didn’t know you couldn’t lower weight on an attempt either :slight_smile:

Explains alot now when I see some ‘easy’ lifts to get a score.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Koots, congratulations, you made the step to compete, well done!
As you said you have learned a lot.
What height / weight are you?
I hope you have come back with more enthusiasm than ever!
Yes the attitude of most people involved in the sport (including your competitors) is usually very helpful.

Keep it up, what are your goals and when is your next competition?[/quote]

Thanks all.

I’m 5’10", 190 lbs (85kg). Been lifting for about 2 years.

Goals? Get stronger and bigger.
Weight goals?
My bench has always lagged, I want to press 300.
DL I want to get to 400, I just missed it at the meet :{
Squat: I suppose up to 300 also, I’ve got some injuries that are screwing up my squating - I want to get healthy so I can hit the squat rack more often.

The next local PL meet is in June, Hopefully I can report some new PRs. I need to start using a belt, I never have used a belt in training so I didn’t in the meet. Several lifters told me it would help. I think I’ll also invest in a squat suit. Not sure I’m ready for the bench shirt…

Great job and congrats on the PR!

I have my first meet in two weeks, I haven’t trained with the team yet.

Mental note for my meet: start with a low weight to get a lift in.

Congrats on your first meet.

Here’s an article that I wish I had when I started competing and one that I think would benefit most new powerlifters to go through.

=61&Title=Top+10+Mistakes+Novice+Lifters+Make