My First Meet

Judging by your videos, you did not sit back as well on the third attempt which caused you to pull up on the bar as opposed to back. This accounts for the higher hip position.

In regards to your 2nd being easy and barely breaking the floor with your 3rd, it is what it is, I wouldn’t spend too much time on it. Make it a second attempt at your next meet.

Don’t worry about your body type, just keep getting stronger.

You do move the bar quite a bit in your conventional, but just about everybody does. Your over travel at the top makes it more difficult to assess on video b/c I have to guess where the bar should be.

If you are not already, you may want to add in some light sumos, maybe after your conventionals, to build hip strength and start to give you a feel for pulling that way.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:

If you are not already, you may want to add in some light sumos, maybe after your conventionals, to build hip strength and start to give you a feel for pulling that way. [/quote]

Ya know that is such a great tip, and so simple, but I never even thought of it!!

Thanks so much for all your help (and everyone else!!). I really appreciate your knowledgable insight.

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Pulling sumo also depends on your hip flexibility. If your groin flexibility prevents your knees from going out, you will have problems with sumo.

Give it a shot, if you like it you will know.

beef[/quote]

I think my hip flexibility is good enough to pull sumo. I followed EC and MR’s “get your butt in gear” article a while back to get a bit of added flexibility in and it’s been working so far.

Only one way to find out if sumo’s the way to go tho, i’ll just have to give it a shot!

Good stuff man. I’m not that different form you in terms of stats and whatnot. I weigh 210lb now but could probably diet to under 200. Just turned 20 two days ago. I’m curious how you placed in the contest because I was thinking about holding off on competition for a while, but maybe I’d try it earlier than I had originally planned. Can you give us the details of the meet? Thanks man

-MAtt

[quote]Matgic wrote:
Good stuff man. I’m not that different form you in terms of stats and whatnot. I weigh 210lb now but could probably diet to under 200. Just turned 20 two days ago. I’m curious how you placed in the contest because I was thinking about holding off on competition for a while, but maybe I’d try it earlier than I had originally planned. Can you give us the details of the meet? Thanks man

-MAtt[/quote]

I got first place in my cat (18-19 under 90kg) along with 4 national records and I qualifyed for a spot at the world drug free powerlifting championships as a junior (i turn 20 in July, WDFPF champs in November).

PL isn’t that populara sport in Ireland so I was only up against one other guy, there were about 25 teens in total maybe.

And who cares where you place… I wouldn’t trade the experiecnce I gained last week for anything.

Just get in there and do it!