My First Gi Jits Class

Just finished two hours of instruction and rolling… with mostly purple and blue belts. I think they went extra hard on me because I had a btt rashguard and they’re a gracie baha school. Loved every second of it, but it was torture.

No they probably went hard on you because you spelled it baha. Gracie Barra, it’s the largest BJJ team in the world, and please don’t ever call it “jits”. Other than that, congratulations. Do you have any no-gi grappling experience?

Hey welcome to the club little buddy.

kmc

Haha thanks KMC.

Bond… yes, I’ve worked a little no gi here and there. And why is it I can never call it Jits?

would you call your country a cunt?

Where did the idea of calling it jits even come from?

Good job on attending your first class.

umm…not to be a dick or anything, but all the black belts I trained with from Brazil called it jitz from time to time. OP, if you are a white belt and you we’re rolling with blues and purples, they are going to go hard with you. Depending on the student it takes 6 months to 2 years to go blue and 2-4 more years to go purple. Ever heard the saying “he doesnt know his own strength”? That applies here.

If you are a whitey, focus on obtaining and keeping the dominate position above all else. Dont count your taps and consider it a blessing that you can roll with guys that have that much experience. I got tapped once by a brown that was instructed not to use his arms. Anyways, dont sweat it. Its going to be tough for about 3 months. Protect your ribs until you get enough ab strength.

And be very careful rolling with guys that outweigh you. I broke 3 ribs rolling with a guy that weighed 320 or so. At the time, I weighed 190. Position before submission and protect your ribs. I hope you never have to experience that pain. It sucks.

Thanks admbaum, I’ll keep protecting my ribs and working for position.

I call it Jit(s/z) because I heard Drysdale call it that.

Robert Drysdale could call it JizzyBop or JazzerJizz and he would still be awesome, because he is Robert Drysdale. Non-blackbelts should probably just refer to it as Brazilian jiujitsu.

Congrats on starting though. You are very lucky that you get to start training with blue belts and purple belts from the start. You are going to improve quickly.

I do feel lucky to be training with guys of such caliber, but also I think I could stand to learn the basics as well.

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
I do feel lucky to be training with guys of such caliber, but also I think I could stand to learn the basics as well.[/quote]

You won’t have a choice with blue and purple belts…granted they will bait you into things…but you will still learn…and don’t be too proud to ask questions.

I’m not too proud, but I do feel like I’m annoying people when I ask questions, mostly because I ask about 50 of them a night. I have to pace myself.

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
I’m not too proud, but I do feel like I’m annoying people when I ask questions, mostly because I ask about 50 of them a night. I have to pace myself.[/quote]

Ok,then…yes,pace yourself…lol.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
umm…not to be a dick or anything, but all the black belts I trained with from Brazil called it jitz from time to time. OP, if you are a white belt and you we’re rolling with blues and purples, they are going to go hard with you. Depending on the student it takes 6 months to 2 years to go blue and 2-4 more years to go purple. Ever heard the saying “he doesnt know his own strength”? That applies here.

If you are a whitey, focus on obtaining and keeping the dominate position above all else. Dont count your taps and consider it a blessing that you can roll with guys that have that much experience. I got tapped once by a brown that was instructed not to use his arms. Anyways, dont sweat it. Its going to be tough for about 3 months. Protect your ribs until you get enough ab strength.

And be very careful rolling with guys that outweigh you. I broke 3 ribs rolling with a guy that weighed 320 or so. At the time, I weighed 190. Position before submission and protect your ribs. I hope you never have to experience that pain. It sucks.[/quote]

Omaplata?

he sprawled on me in side control when I was trying to hip escape. He rolled me flat and dropped all his weight on me. Sucked.

Congrads on first class. I agree with admbaum about learing to control position. Your probably going through the phase of youtubing as many moves as possible, try not to get sucked into it (i did). Master the basic positions/escapes and drill like crazy. Good defense will make your game improve quicker than ever.

I only train no-gi, but I can tap most purple/brown belts and occasional blk belt after only 2yrs of smart training. Nowdays when I roll, I start by pulling a bad position eg; side control or turtle just so i can work my escapes, from there i work backwards and usually end up tapping opponent. With this style you must check your ego at the door but you will reap the benefits in no time.

You know 1000 moves, and you suck at every one" Carlson Gracie…work the basics and then work them some more. Take Eddie Bravo and 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu with a grain of salt. But Ari Bolden is the real deal.

I have always thought knowing the basics really well is superior to know all kinds of extravagant moves. Other than being out of practice, and rolling with guys who are WAY better, I feel my biggest problem is getting a tactical grasp on the gi. How to use it against an opponent, and how not to let it get used against me. I feel like this is one of those things I’ll learn over time. So on to an actual question… Is Atama a good gi brand?

[quote]admbaum wrote:
You know 1000 moves, and you suck at every one" Carlson Gracie…work the basics and then work them some more. Take Eddie Bravo and 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu with a grain of salt. But Ari Bolden is the real deal.[/quote]

Nice

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
I have always thought knowing the basics really well is superior to know all kinds of extravagant moves. Other than being out of practice, and rolling with guys who are WAY better, I feel my biggest problem is getting a tactical grasp on the gi. How to use it against an opponent, and how not to let it get used against me. I feel like this is one of those things I’ll learn over time. So on to an actual question… Is Atama a good gi brand?[/quote]

Yes. Lucky Gi’s are very popular right now, just expensive. And you can call jiu jitsu whatever the heck you want to, bro. Because the bottom line is, as a white belt, you are going to get your ass kicked either way, so fuck it. Call it brazilian cake cutting for all you care. And dude, have you asked your instructors how many a brazilian is, yet? It is very important to know the specific number, that way once you get there, you know you are close to blue belt.