My First Ever 700lbs Squat

[quote]Joe Pears wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:
Nice dude. 700 is big weight. The depth on the warm ups looks perfect to me, and then it becomes a bit ambiguous on the 700 with the front view. You should get someone else to film your big lifts with a side angle too. Either way, good shit.[/quote]

I agree fully and normally we try too but we normally only have 3 spotters but I guess once you hit 700 something says you need 5 spotters for safety lol so all the cameras we normally have rolling were busy making sure I don’t die. But, I agree with you and think the squat at best was “right there” I know I need to sink it another inch to not risk a missed lift due to depth. I was just caught off guard that Sam told me to load the bar to 700 and mentally was 50% I’m ready to kill this and 50% this is gonna kill me. [/quote]

After a 1rm lift like that how do your legs feel, o they feel exhausted like they do after high rep squats? I have always wondered if once single reps get so heavy if they have the fatuige and pump of doing a set of 10 ?
[/quote]

Honestly man I don’t have a pump at all after a set like this. Or if I do the adrenaline is going so hard I don’t notice it. The fatique for me personally is in my forarms and mid upper back. I am squeezing the bar so hard and trying to bend it over my back so hard my hands often cramp from squeezing so hard.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:
Awesome lift man thats huge! Now go compete somewhere they pass those high cheater squats and make it official haha[/quote]

Hahahahaha SPF meet in 28 days [/quote]

Grit House Classic meet?

Tell me about your cue “Break the bar”.[/quote]

Yes sir that’s the one. Are you going to be there? Always cool to meet people from the boards.

Imagine taking the bar on your back and then trying to literally pull the ends of the barbell down to the floor. Like the old stongman videos where people would bend rebar across there head. I think of the exact same thing. This forces my lats and middle back to contract as hard as possible and move all into the center of my spine. I am essentially trying to pack as much support as I can into keeping my upper back and spine neutral before ever unracking. If you do it correctly you will literally not even be able to raise or move your shoulders at all on the unrack. It has to be all lower body.

[quote]tredaway wrote:
Excellent stuff read great to see you achieving your goals.[/quote]

Thanks for following me and showing support man. Honestly I appreciate it a lot more than I can really make clear in a post.

I don’t know how anyone is questioning depth on the 700. You can clearly see his hips dip front the front even. That would of passed. Could you of done that in the IPF do you reckon? How much does the walkout limit how much you can put on the bar?

[quote]Joe Pears wrote:
I don’t know how anyone is questioning depth on the 700. You can clearly see his hips dip front the front even. That would of passed. Could you of done that in the IPF do you reckon? How much does the walkout limit how much you can put on the bar?[/quote]

Lol no I would be laughed out of the IPF with the depth there not to mention I don’t feel like trying to beat the drug test ha-ha. But, as for the walk out I don’t know. I walked out 650 3 weeks ago just for giggles. As long as I can keep my upper back locked in I don’t think the walk out affects me too horrible. But, I have always been fairly strong at walking out. I could yoke walk 700lbs when I could barely squat 405. I personally just like the mono for the safety of the chains when at a meet.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Joe Pears wrote:
I don’t know how anyone is questioning depth on the 700. You can clearly see his hips dip front the front even. That would of passed. Could you of done that in the IPF do you reckon? How much does the walkout limit how much you can put on the bar?[/quote]

Lol no I would be laughed out of the IPF with the depth there not to mention I don’t feel like trying to beat the drug test ha-ha. But, as for the walk out I don’t know. I walked out 650 3 weeks ago just for giggles. As long as I can keep my upper back locked in I don’t think the walk out affects me too horrible. But, I have always been fairly strong at walking out. I could yoke walk 700lbs when I could barely squat 405. I personally just like the mono for the safety of the chains when at a meet.[/quote]

I thought your hip joint had to be below the top of your knee? It looked that way to me from your video.

It does and for 90% of feds I think it would have just barely passed for IPF not even close. They hold their squats to a whole different standard

[quote]Joe Pears wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Joe Pears wrote:

Lol no I would be laughed out of the IPF with the depth there not to mention I don’t feel like trying to beat the drug test ha-ha. But, as for the walk out I don’t know. I walked out 650 3 weeks ago just for giggles. As long as I can keep my upper back locked in I don’t think the walk out affects me too horrible. But, I have always been fairly strong at walking out. I could yoke walk 700lbs when I could barely squat 405. I personally just like the mono for the safety of the chains when at a meet.[/quote]

I thought your hip joint had to be below the top of your knee? It looked that way to me from your video.[/quote]
IPF is damn strict.

But that squat is just awesome, Reed. It must feel great to achieve that goal. Congratulations!

It does and for 90% of feds I think it would have just barely passed for IPF not even close. They hold their squats to a whole different standard

[quote]Reed wrote:
It does and for 90% of feds I think it would have just barely passed for IPF not even close. They hold their squats to a whole different standard[/quote]
True. I naturally squat to the floor, so it works for me. Of course, I don’t have 700 on my back!

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]Joe Pears wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Joe Pears wrote:

I thought your hip joint had to be below the top of your knee? It looked that way to me from your video.[/quote]
IPF is damn strict.

But that squat is just awesome, Reed. It must feel great to achieve that goal. Congratulations![/quote]

Trust me feels amazing I almost cried. It is not offical until it passes on the platform though. Thank you a lot man and thank you for the kind words as always.

Badass!!

Nice work! Good luck with the rest of training and the meet.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
Very impressive! Is this considered depth in your federation (not experienced with depth judging)? Also how tall are you?[/quote]

Thanks man. I compete SPF/APC/GPC and for them the depth here would be very close. Could literally go either way. Most likely would give me 2/3 Whites in most cases. If you look one of my hips is lower than the other so I would probably get a white from one side and front judge lol.

I’m 5’5" to 5’6" depending on what shoes I’m wearing lol.[/quote]

Do you have any tips on how to be that stable and upright? Of course I am quite a bit taller and have to lean forward to a degree but I have problems keeping tight coming out of the hole.
[/quote]

Every bit of it is ALL in the upper back and core bracing. I have focused harder on my training and actually using my core and learning to brace properly harder this passed 4 months than I have focused on even trying to get stronger. To be stable you have to brace perfectly you can’t just flex the core you have to learn to try and rip your belt apart. What I mean about that is that you always hear about pushing into your belt a cue that worked for me is I am literally trying to inhale as much air as I can into my stomach and then I literally try to break my belt lever. I want to literally do everything I can to physically try and break the belt by pushing out and into from every single angle possible. Take a similar approach with the upper back. You will see in the video even with 225 I look down and bring my chest down as it helps me feel my stomach and really push out as hard as physically possible then you will see me pushy head back into the bar then, I literally in every single sense of the world squeeze the bar with everything I have and then try to physically bend the bar across my back trying tk ake the ends touch skde posckets if I had them. This locksy lats in very hard and pulls my scapula down and slightly back putting me into a very strong and stable position. Then from here I push my hips though on the unrack. If when you unrack your Shoulder Griddle Rises up at all then you were near tight enough before tracking in the upper back. The unrack should be a complete hip and lower body movement.

As for staying upright I had to move my stance out in order to this and slow my decent down when the weight gets stupid heavy. Once again I’d rather sacrifice speed down than give up even a half inch of proper bracing and upper back position.
[/quote]

I tested your cue for upper back tightness today on 2-count-pause squats. And immediately thought " I should thank this guy!" Worked awesome!

Huge squat, congrats on hitting 7. I wasnt aware we were having a meet in Cleveland, will definately have to come out and watch. Good Luck
As an aside, i guess you lift at The Grit House ? how do you like it ? I stopped in one day to check it out, unfortunately they dont open early enough for my schedule

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
Very impressive! Is this considered depth in your federation (not experienced with depth judging)? Also how tall are you?[/quote]

Thanks man. I compete SPF/APC/GPC and for them the depth here would be very close. Could literally go either way. Most likely would give me 2/3 Whites in most cases. If you look one of my hips is lower than the other so I would probably get a white from one side and front judge lol.

I’m 5’5" to 5’6" depending on what shoes I’m wearing lol.[/quote]

Do you have any tips on how to be that stable and upright? Of course I am quite a bit taller and have to lean forward to a degree but I have problems keeping tight coming out of the hole.
[/quote]

Every bit of it is ALL in the upper back and core bracing. I have focused harder on my training and actually using my core and learning to brace properly harder this passed 4 months than I have focused on even trying to get stronger. To be stable you have to brace perfectly you can’t just flex the core you have to learn to try and rip your belt apart. What I mean about that is that you always hear about pushing into your belt a cue that worked for me is I am literally trying to inhale as much air as I can into my stomach and then I literally try to break my belt lever. I want to literally do everything I can to physically try and break the belt by pushing out and into from every single angle possible. Take a similar approach with the upper back. You will see in the video even with 225 I look down and bring my chest down as it helps me feel my stomach and really push out as hard as physically possible then you will see me pushy head back into the bar then, I literally in every single sense of the world squeeze the bar with everything I have and then try to physically bend the bar across my back trying tk ake the ends touch skde posckets if I had them. This locksy lats in very hard and pulls my scapula down and slightly back putting me into a very strong and stable position. Then from here I push my hips though on the unrack. If when you unrack your Shoulder Griddle Rises up at all then you were near tight enough before tracking in the upper back. The unrack should be a complete hip and lower body movement.

As for staying upright I had to move my stance out in order to this and slow my decent down when the weight gets stupid heavy. Once again I’d rather sacrifice speed down than give up even a half inch of proper bracing and upper back position.
[/quote]

I tested your cue for upper back tightness today on 2-count-pause squats. And immediately thought " I should thank this guy!" Worked awesome!
[/quote]

Awesome man congrats and glad you liked. It sorry for all the spelling errors in the description I am not even sure how you understood that I barely could and I wrote it. I need to stop using my phone at midnight after taking all my sleep meds and trying to answer questions ha-ha

[quote]vtxile wrote:
Huge squat, congrats on hitting 7. I wasnt aware we were having a meet in Cleveland, will definately have to come out and watch. Good Luck
As an aside, i guess you lift at The Grit House ? how do you like it ? I stopped in one day to check it out, unfortunately they dont open early enough for my schedule[/quote]

Yeah man it the 29th please come out should be some big lifts that day some pretty big pullers are coming from Ga and the such. Be great to have you out.

Grithouse is awesome man. Great equipment, great atmosphere, and great people to train with and learn from. If you can ever make it around 6pm we are there most days of the week with the exception of weekends.

Strong squat, congrats! how are your bench and deadlift progressing?

Awesome squat!! Aside from core and upper back work did you add in any new lower body exercises recently to get you to 700?

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:
Strong squat, congrats! how are your bench and deadlift progressing?[/quote]

Thanks man. My bench is looking better than ever still def my weak link but, managed to hit 370 2 days ago for a double firt rep paused and then a second long pause single. Id like to hit this as my second at the meet. Would be a 15lbs PR but, I will see how much squatting takes a toll. My deadlift is feeling strong as well. Hit a easy 555 for 5 from the floor and a 660 off 4" block with in the past 14 days. I would like to see 615-625 at this meet.