My First Cut

Tricep

I would love some more advice now that the pics are up… Idk how to make them smaller so sorry about the size.

Heres my measurements as of this morning

Abdomen 39.75 in
Chest 45in
Arm 16 in (17 in flexed)
Thigh 25 in
Calf 15 in

Cut begins tomorrow… Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I would ballpark your BF% at 20 or so, putting your LBM at 170-180. Given this, I don’t think you will lose much bodyfat if you are consuming 3800-4K calories/day, unless you do an inordinate amount of cardio (and as you’re currently injured, that’s not likely to happen). I think you will fare better aiming for ~3K calories on lifting days, and ~2K on non-lifting (cardio-only) days. My personal preference is to do the majority of the caloric manipulation by adding/subtracting carbs, keeping everything else more or less the same. So for example, if on lifting days you ate 250g Pro/250g Carbs/100g Fat, this would put you at ~2900-3000 cals; dropping the carbs would put you at ~2000 on non-lifting days. (BTW, I’m talking about non-veggie carbs here.) I like to have my carbs in the peri-workout window. So long as you lift consistently and hard, muscle loss should not be a problem. Good luck.

since others have commented on your diet— ill comment on your physique

i think what one thing you should focus on is your lat width–the pics you posted show you dont have too much v taper going on which is probably the first most important thing for a good physique—since youre cutting id say really start focusing on pull up varitations—weighted(if possible) and unweighted–since you will be losing weight it will be easy to progress on this movement- personally when i train back i usually do anywhere between 50-100 repitions of pullups (weighted or non weighted)–use a false grip to make sure your upper lats do the work.

your bicep development is good and i think once a fair amount of weight comes off you will pleased with your arm development

Shoulders need work too

as for weight–id say get down to 200 lbs and then post a new pic for us to evaluate

Thanks a ton guys.

Eyedentist- I will def lower my calories then. Also do you just wait until you stop losing weight and readjust, or is the goal you set enough to stick with until the end of the cut?

Grind- thanks for the advice. I’ll def try and hammer my lats. For some reason my arm development has for the most part always been pretty decent relative to the rest of my body. And once I get my press back my shoulders will def get the work they need, and then some. And yeah I was planning on reposting more pics once I hit 200, glad this seems to be the right way to go.

Also what do you guys think about meal timing. I mean aside from getting the majority of carbs in that periworkout window is anything else majorly significant. LIke going 5 or so hours without eating then eating a ton, or breaking it down into smaller more frequent meals. IS that just personal preference? For instance if I have to get in 3000 calories for the day and get in 2000 by like 5 pm and go off and do stuff and don’t eat again until like 12 at night (wouldn’t happen often just out of curiosity here) would that be too long without food?

You’re welcome. As for your question: The deeper you get into your cut, the more in-tune you will become with how your physique responds to the manipulation of calories and/or macros. So by the time you get to where you need to decide whether your diet needs adjusting, you probably won’t have to ask–you’ll know.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Also what do you guys think about meal timing. I mean aside from getting the majority of carbs in that periworkout window is anything else majorly significant. LIke going 5 or so hours without eating then eating a ton, or breaking it down into smaller more frequent meals. IS that just personal preference? For instance if I have to get in 3000 calories for the day and get in 2000 by like 5 pm and go off and do stuff and don’t eat again until like 12 at night (wouldn’t happen often just out of curiosity here) would that be too long without food? [/quote]

This is a bone of contention right now. The standard BBing approach has been to eat every 2-3 hours, and there’s no doubt a great number of BBers have gotten superb results doing this. That said, some recent work on the relationship between the frequency of protein intake and the rate of protein synthesis suggests that frequent eating is not only unnecessary, but that too-frequent food intake may actually downregulate protein synthesis rates. The estimates I have read are that inter-meal intervals of 3-5 hours are probably ideal.

Yeah the more I got into my bulk the more I understand my bodies calorie needs, although that was a less sensitive situation. THanks for the great replies

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Also what do you guys think about meal timing. I mean aside from getting the majority of carbs in that periworkout window is anything else majorly significant. LIke going 5 or so hours without eating then eating a ton, or breaking it down into smaller more frequent meals. IS that just personal preference? For instance if I have to get in 3000 calories for the day and get in 2000 by like 5 pm and go off and do stuff and don’t eat again until like 12 at night (wouldn’t happen often just out of curiosity here) would that be too long without food? [/quote]

This is a bone of contention right now. The standard BBing approach has been to eat every 2-3 hours, and there’s no doubt a great number of BBers have gotten superb results doing this. That said, some recent work on the relationship between the frequency of protein intake and the rate of protein synthesis suggests that frequent eating is not only unnecessary, but that too-frequent food intake may actually downregulate protein synthesis rates. The estimates I have read are that inter-meal intervals of 3-5 hours are probably ideal.[/quote]
Agreed, eat every 3.5-5 hours IMO. Ectomorphs can probably eat somewhere around every 3 hours.

Yeah I’m an ectomorph, I’ve been extremely skinny my whole life.

Getting my bf done this weekend by a trainer. He’s using skin fold calipers so obviously it may be off. Anyways do you guys think this will be an accurate assessment of my bf% at the end of my bulk if I’m already a week into cutting. I’m enjoying not having to stuff my face constantly btw

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Getting my bf done this weekend by a trainer. He’s using skin fold calipers so obviously it may be off. Anyways do you guys think this will be an accurate assessment of my bf% at the end of my bulk if I’m already a week into cutting. I’m enjoying not having to stuff my face constantly btw [/quote]

Yes, it will be well within the margin of error.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Getting my bf done this weekend by a trainer. He’s using skin fold calipers so obviously it may be off. Anyways do you guys think this will be an accurate assessment of my bf% at the end of my bulk if I’m already a week into cutting. I’m enjoying not having to stuff my face constantly btw [/quote]

i dont understand why you are getting your bodyfat measured?

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:

i dont understand why you are getting your bodyfat measured? [/quote]

Truthh.

I just typed a response and it didn’t post so here goes again. Its mostly so I know the full results of my bulk and also to learn and just for fun. I understand how I look is the best judgement of my progress but understand that I did not make my decision to start cutting based on a bf reading, it was done by looking in the mirror and other possible health issues. Also I just want to be able to put in my log my bf% along with other stats to see how far I’ve progressed.I’ll have it up this weekend, if youre not interested thats fine I just want to keep this thread alive every once in awhile to get feedback and advice

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
I did not make my decision to start cutting based on a bf reading, it was done by looking in the mirror and other possible health issues.

Also I just want to be able to put in my log my bf% along with other stats to see how far I’ve progressed.[/quote]

so you are just looking for reassurance from a personal trainer (lol) of something that you already know (that you are a chub) by using an inaccurate measuring method… so you can log this inaccurate measurement for the sake of gauging your progress?

am i reading this right?

as blunt as mr walkway is being right now-- i agree-- measuring body fat isnt going to help on this journey at all-- it could even mess with your head a little.

No I’m not looking for reassurance. I would just like to be able to look back in my log later on down the line and know how i looked at 6’2 223 with said bf%. It isn’t going to affect anything I do, just a reference point and like I said something fun to know. I have way bigger things to worry about right now that bf%, I just like to keep a thorough log and for my own interest want that written down in there.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
No I’m not looking for reassurance. I would just like to be able to look back in my log later on down the line and know how i looked at 6’2 223 with said bf%. It isn’t going to affect anything I do, just a reference point and like I said something fun to know. I have way bigger things to worry about right now that bf%, I just like to keep a thorough log and for my own interest want that written down in there. [/quote]

do you have a recent pic uploaded here?