My First Competition, Advice?

So on saturday march 22nd i will embark on my first lifting competition. It will be held in martins ferry ohio and it will be in the 100% RAW powerlifting federation. I have to say that i am starting to get really nervous!! Are there any words of wisdom of advice from anyone?

I am not sure how i will do but i will be competing in the 16-17 year old age bracket in the 242lb weight-class. I am really excited but im not sure what to expect!

First Squat:
Something you can damn near sit on the floor with an come up with any day of the week. Even straight out of bed wit no warm up!! I’d probably be taking 85-90% of my estimated 3rd attempt

First Bench:
Something you can hold a LONG pause with and press easily.

First Deadlift:
Go conservative. Having not done a meet before you’ve no way of knowing how much you’ll have left before the deadlifts.

The first attempts are just to get you in. You build your total on second and thirds.

Make sure you’ve plenty of food and water with you, and keep drinking all day.

Try to keep covered up between flights, and don’t stand when you can sit!!

[quote]Hanley wrote:
First Squat:
Something you can damn near sit on the floor with an come up with any day of the week. Even straight out of bed wit no warm up!! I’d probably be taking 85-90% of my estimated 3rd attempt

First Bench:
Something you can hold a LONG pause with and press easily.

First Deadlift:
Go conservative. Having not done a meet before you’ve no way of knowing how much you’ll have left before the deadlifts.

The first attempts are just to get you in. You build your total on second and thirds.

Make sure you’ve plenty of food and water with you, and keep drinking all day.

Try to keep covered up between flights, and don’t stand when you can sit!![/quote]

Great advice! I would also make sure you have some water and gatorade, at least a gallon. You never know how hot it will be there. Take some nuts, protein bars, and other fairly light snacks to keep your blood sugar stable. Meets can go long and you can get pretty hungry, which will affect your lifts. Watch foods that are to sugary like candy bars, and fatty grerasy stuff. Save that for later!

Bring chalk to stash since chalk can run out and disappear. One block would be good. Bring an icepack in case, some ibuprofen or aspirin ( hate to get a headache with the loud banging and stuff). I would also bring a change of shorts and a t shirt or to extra. Hate to get nerves and lift in a puke shirt! Bring some sweats to stay warm if the venue is chilly.

This might seem excessive, but if you have all this you’ll be relaxed and ready to concentrate on lifting.

As for the lfiting, do what Hanley said.

On competetion day .

Food:

Eat a clean breafast. Cereals and juice and an egg or two. Magnesium and c vitamin added.

Timing your food intake is crucial.

Bring your own food. Only carbs on competetion day. quickly aborbed and the only thing you need.

Drink plenty of water and maltodextrin in warmups and in between the different lifts.

ive seen many go down on dehydration. Remember a 2 percent dehydration will decrease your performance by 20 percent !!

Also drink when youre not thirsty.

Keep calm and visualize yourself making each lift before you actually attempt to do so.

HAVE FUN

with my first comp still a fresh memory , what the others hit on is dead nuts .

my nerves kicked in pretty hard about a week out .unintentionally lost a few pounds the week before;didnt sleep the best that week either . normal shit the first time

the weight of the friggin’ world lifted off my shoulders when I hit my first squat attempt . thats what I remember the most , and I believe that to be the key .

so…as others said…open light

Alright, thanks guys.

And they also said that there using like a “texas bar” for deadlifting and squatting. Anyone know what that is? I just use a 45lb barbell…lol.

And one more question, does anyone know if the sumo stance is allowed in 100% RAW? I didnt see anyhting under rules so im guessing it is.

[quote]KingMike wrote:
And one more question, does anyone know if the sumo stance is allowed in 100% RAW? I didnt see anyhting under rules so im guessing it is. [/quote]

Sumo is fine, and the texas power bar is a very good powerliftng bar. I prefer using a longer heavier squatting bar and a deadlift bar ( a squat bar is very stiff to support the heavy 1200 lb+ weights, while the deadlift bar is springier. )

The texas power bar is a middle of the road bar. Stiff for benching and squatting, since to springy would cause unecessary whipping during the squat, and possibly on the bench.

Deadlift bars are only used for deadlifts, so the springier nature helps the lift.

morning of my competitions i always have myself some oatmeal. on the way to it i pick up gatorade and bannanas. Depending on your turn out you could be there ALL day, so the bananas are nice and light to snack on if you need. Good luck and lift big.

P.S…dont be a retard like me and show up wearing a cut-off tee and sweatpants then have to borrow a shirt and shorts from some stranger to compete lol

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
morning of my competitions i always have myself some oatmeal. on the way to it i pick up gatorade and bannanas. Depending on your turn out you could be there ALL day, so the bananas are nice and light to snack on if you need. Good luck and lift big.

P.S…dont be a retard like me and show up wearing a cut-off tee and sweatpants then have to borrow a shirt and shorts from some stranger to compete lol[/quote]

yeah some kid on my team wore a sleeveless. I didn’t bring boxers because I didn’t think compression shorts counted as a layer, so I had to borrow someones extra boxers for under my suit lol

Depending on the deadlift bar used, the distance between the collars may be greater. Check this out before your first attempt if you’re going sumo, otherwise your feet may be spaced too far apart if you use the plates as a reference point for foot position.

I’ve watched a bunch of lifters come off the platform with that “man, that felt weird” look on their face when their normally easy opener looked really funky. The next facial expression (accompanied by a forehead slap) is “Oh, that’s why!” when someone tells them the bar is 6" longer in between the collars.

haha. Alright man, that could probably help :slight_smile: