T Nation

My First Comp At 52

I competed in the Lightweight Category of the BNBF Southern Qualifiers on Sunday at the age of 52!
I started training on 4 January when i also started removing crap food from my diet. I then started my strict diet 18 weeks out when I was 83kg (183 pounds)with bodyfat of 20.9%.
I dieted down to 70kg (154 pounds)with bodyfat of 6% although I weighed in at 72kg (158 pounds) after carbing up.

It takes some balls to walk out on stage for the first time! I had realised how small my chest, lats, and quads were but I gave the comp my all. My 90 secs routine to music was perfect & I had a great day. I finished fourth & am now inspired to eat cleanly & add size to my body whilst keeping the fat as low as possible. I don’t have the genetics of a big bodybuilder but living the lifestyle of one for 6 months has motivated me and added new impetus to my life. I herniated my bellybutton 16 weeks ago doing weighted inclined crunches but decided to leave the operation until after the competition. I’m really proud of my achievement :slight_smile:

This just shows it’s never to late to try competing, and good luck with the renewed motivation!

Here’s a photo from the comp :slight_smile:

Congratulations, but your photo didn?t come through

It has taken me while to work out how to reduce the size of photos in order to get them on here. Here’s the first taken 10 days ago after 18 weeks of dieting. This was 2 days before the comp.

From the main show. The next two, in orange trunks, are from the evening routines

From my 90 secs routine to music. The only time in my life that I’ve been in time!

Last one! Resizing them is worse than competing :wink:

That’s me in the middle :slight_smile: And I’m not bald! The bright lights make my number one haircut look like Yul Bryner!
I have decided to add at least 10 pounds of muscle over the next 12 months & have another go at it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I took Alpha Male for 3 weeks & used AnimalCuts as my fatburner. My other supplements were fish oil capsules, AnimalPaks, BCAAs, Digestive Enzymes, & Acidophilus. I am continuing with the Alpha Male & hope it helps me get through this worn-out phase. I suppose this is fairly normal after a first comp at my age.

Nice job. Very inspiring. If you are married I’m sure it got your wife hot and bothered…

Good job!

Way to go man; it’s obviously never too late with enough hard work and determination!
Now reward yourself by buying yourself more supplements :slight_smile:

Ah a fellow Animal. Congrats my friend. You came in real nice for this show. I think you can def add the ten pounds. Will that push you into another weight class though or was this age based? When are you looking to compete again?

The worn out feeling will also go away once get some carbs in your system and your diet returns to somewhat normal.

Did you talk to anyone else at the show, perhaps even the judges? You can great advice as to what you need to improve on to turn that fourth into a first place.

Good luck and train hard,
A

[quote]olliedog wrote:
I took Alpha Male for 3 weeks & used AnimalCuts as my fatburner. My other supplements were fish oil capsules, AnimalPaks, BCAAs, Digestive Enzymes, & Acidophilus. I am continuing with the Alpha Male & hope it helps me get through this worn-out phase. I suppose this is fairly normal after a first comp at my age. [/quote]

[quote]olliedog wrote:
That’s me in the middle :slight_smile: And I’m not bald! The bright lights make my number one haircut look like Yul Bryner!
I have decided to add at least 10 pounds of muscle over the next 12 months & have another go at it. [/quote]

First, what’s wrong with being bald?!!

Second, good job. Thanks for showing your progress.

Lookin good dude

Thanks A :slight_smile:
I also competed in the Masters but was unplaced. My chest, lats, & quads sweep let me down & those 3 are going to improve! I only just beat the weight limit so addding the 10 pounds will put me in the Middleweights next year.

My abs are quite shallow so they need more depth. There’s a lot to do and I will train like an animal to get there. Thanks for everyone’s words of encouragement :slight_smile:

[quote]mdragon wrote:
Nice job. Very inspiring. If you are married I’m sure it got your wife hot and bothered…[/quote]

Hell it’s got my wife all hot and bothered. I’ve got to go take advantage while I can.

Great work man. I’m only 37 and I wouldn’t have the balls to do that…step on stage.

[quote]olliedog wrote:
Thanks A :slight_smile:
I also competed in the Masters but was unplaced. My chest, lats, & quads sweep let me down & those 3 are going to improve! I only just beat the weight limit so addding the 10 pounds will put me in the Middleweights next year.

My abs are quite shallow so they need more depth. There’s a lot to do and I will train like an animal to get there. Thanks for everyone’s words of encouragement :)[/quote]

That’s a huge personal achievement for you I bet! I’ve been lifting my whole life but it never occured to me to compete until 2000 at the age of 35 – prior to that I was often the only girl in the gym using free weights that weren’t pink. It also sounds like you’ve caught the fitness bug!

Your first show is usually FOR YOU… its where you strip down your body & find out what God gave you to work with. If you find the passion in the process to continue (i.e. who the hell would put themselves thru that whole prep process, survive the rebound, and then come back & do it again??), then you start to focus on reshaping what God gave you to see what God + you can create. Its a fascinating thing to dedicate yourself to – it had definitely been a learning experience and a personal voyage for me to find out what I can achieve as well as how to handle some of the lowest and most miserably exhausted & stressed out days of my entire life.

I just did my 3rd show last year at age 40. Had to bail out of 2 shows this year because life is getting in the way (i.e. relocation, job hunting, etc.) but another fantastic thing about fitness & competition – it never goes away & you are never too old – there’s always another show as long as you decide you want to be there.

Good luck to you in your goals!