T Nation

My First 1RM Squat

Well guys & girls, brothers & sisters, I thought I would let ya’ll know that I just did my very first actual 1RM squat.

I wasn’t sure how to warm up properly, so after a bit of surfing around here & a few other sites, it hit me that it’s a really personal thing, there’s no ‘magic formula’. I knew there wouldn’t be, but, yeah i wanted to find a ‘reputable’ one anyway.

So I warmed up, working my way up from 25% to 90%, going from 5 reps to singles. As I got closer to my target, i took longer rest breaks.

When I did my previous 1RM, I thought ‘well, that was pretty easy’…so I put a bit more weight on the bar, took a few minutes rest…and manged to get a 110kg squat done!

My previous 1RM, from a calculator was 90kg, so, within the last month, from doing a ‘progressive movement training’ method that I found here on T-Nation, where you slowly increase the ROM, I added 10kg onto my squat. Not bad for a small unit (72kg).

Anyway, that’s my news for the day!!!

242 lbs hm? well progress is progress so keep up the good work mate

You’re warming up too much. You probably would of had 5-10 more pounds.

Let’s say you’re going to try to squat 315. I would do

185x4
225x3
275x1
either 300x1 or skip this depending on your own experience
315x1

Your right. In retrospect, I perhaps did spend too much time warming up & wearing out. I was unsure of how to warm up to a 1RM attempt, so I did the best I could.

I’m still pretty darn happy with a 110kg (242lb) squat though, at my height & weight (156 cm’s, 72kg, 155lb’s) that’s not tooo bad.

Soon I’ll do a DL 1RM test

[quote]TheOlympian wrote:
Your right. In retrospect, I perhaps did spend too much time warming up & wearing out. I was unsure of how to warm up to a 1RM attempt, so I did the best I could.

I’m still pretty darn happy with a 110kg (242lb) squat though, at my height & weight (156 cm’s, 72kg, 155lb’s) that’s not tooo bad.

Soon I’ll do a DL 1RM test[/quote]

don’t warm up on deads with any more then a triple.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
You’re warming up too much. You probably would of had 5-10 more pounds.

Let’s say you’re going to try to squat 315. I would do

185x4
225x3
275x1
either 300x1 or skip this depending on your own experience
315x1[/quote]

Yep thats about right.

I usually like to warm up with 225 but then agian I dont end with 315.

Always have a spotter who knows how to spot squats, and remember that if you bail always let it go backwards.

I dont know why people insist on trying to duck under it or some shit, it doesn’t even make sense to let it go over your neck.

[quote]Westclock wrote:

I dont know why people insist on trying to duck under it or some shit, it doesn’t even make sense to let it go over your neck.[/quote]

b/c the first thing to screw you up when squatting is your back not strong enough to stay upright so it starts to bend forward, therefore more likely than not putting the bar out ahead of your midfoot. don’t try and act like you’re all badass with knowledge just cuz you think you post on some sort of elite forum society.

Well, guys, for me, I used the safety pins, so when I DID come into trouble, all I did was lower myself & the bar would hit the pins & I was safe! I don’t have anybody to spot me while squatting…my gym is SUCH a health club! It’s not all bad, the squat rack is ALWAYS free haha

Having a single spotter for squats is worse then having 1. Pins are all you need.