T Nation

My first 12 weeks of

Hi everybody,
I'm a 26 (almost 27) years old from Italy.
I'm 175cm in height (5'9") and my weight is currently around 70 kg (around 154lbs).
In the last few months I've been very obsessed with diet and eating healthy food, therefore I've lost around 10kg in the last 6 months, of which I'd say 70% of fat and a good 30% of lean mass, due mainly to lack of training and sport activity.

I've been playing basketball in the past and also hitting the gym but without any consistency and any form of serious training/programming.

After reading many articles and training templates I've decided it's time to hit the gym.
Therefore from today I'll start my first 12 weeks into the Wendler's 5-3-1 strength training program.

My goals are to (obviously) get stronger, gain muscle mass and ultimately be more explosive and athletic on the basketball court.

I'm planning to start with a 3 days/week template, more similar to the 5-3-1 for football than to the 5-3-1 for strength training, but the overall concepts, I guess, are the same.

So far I've still two main concerns.

1) Military press: I'm a bit afraid that overhead press could affect my joints and affect my basketball training, especially after reading this article from DeFranco: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/shoulder_shocker

2) Assistance work: I know that probably 95% of the questions about 5-3-1 are on assistance lifts, but since I am a beginner I'm seeking for some help, in particular for someone who has used 5-3-1 with basketball/football/sport training in mind.

PS In the past I've never aimed to a true max effort rep, let's say I've done sets of 10 reps bench pressing around 45kg (around 100 lbs), mainly due to the lack of equipment, spotter and overall being weak in my chest area.

Thank you for your attention, I'll try to keep you updated with my progression in my training!

[quote]Ballistic wrote:
Hi everybody,
I’m a 26 (almost 27) years old from Italy.
I’m 175cm in height (5’9") and my weight is currently around 70 kg (around 154lbs).
In the last few months I’ve been very obsessed with diet and eating healthy food, therefore I’ve lost around 10kg in the last 6 months, of which I’d say 70% of fat and a good 30% of lean mass, due mainly to lack of training and sport activity.

I’ve been playing basketball in the past and also hitting the gym but without any consistency and any form of serious training/programming.

After reading many articles and training templates I’ve decided it’s time to hit the gym.
Therefore from today I’ll start my first 12 weeks into the Wendler’s 5-3-1 strength training program.

My goals are to (obviously) get stronger, gain muscle mass and ultimately be more explosive and athletic on the basketball court.

I’m planning to start with a 3 days/week template, more similar to the 5-3-1 for football than to the 5-3-1 for strength training, but the overall concepts, I guess, are the same.

So far I’ve still two main concerns.

1. Military press: I’m a bit afraid that overhead press could affect my joints and affect my basketball training, especially after reading this article from DeFranco: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/shoulder_shocker

2. Assistance work: I know that probably 95% of the questions about 5-3-1 are on assistance lifts, but since I am a beginner I’m seeking for some help, in particular for someone who has used 5-3-1 with basketball/football/sport training in mind.

PS In the past I’ve never aimed to a true max effort rep, let’s say I’ve done sets of 10 reps bench pressing around 45kg (around 100 lbs), mainly due to the lack of equipment, spotter and overall being weak in my chest area.

Thank you for your attention, I’ll try to keep you updated with my progression in my training![/quote]

Wow. Lots of questions, all of them valid.

Military press: Some people say it hurts your shoulder, others think it is healthy. Who is right FOR YOU depends on your genetics and your shoulder mobility. General advice: if you feel pain in your joints during an exercise (expecially presses), something’s wrong. If you feel OK, there should be nothing to worry about.

Assistance: Pick the assistance according to your weaknesses. If you need technique practice, do the main movement for 3 easy sets of 10 and do an opposing movement for the same sets/reps (military press-pull ups, bench press-row etc). Since we don’t know what exactly you need it’S hard to say what type of assistance you should do.

Generally, start light. A spotter isn’t necessary if you’re being careful; after a while you will know when to stop. Also, leaving one last rep in the tank isn’t bad, quite the opposite.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Ballistic wrote:
Hi everybody,
I’m a 26 (almost 27) years old from Italy.
I’m 175cm in height (5’9") and my weight is currently around 70 kg (around 154lbs).
In the last few months I’ve been very obsessed with diet and eating healthy food, therefore I’ve lost around 10kg in the last 6 months, of which I’d say 70% of fat and a good 30% of lean mass, due mainly to lack of training and sport activity.

I’ve been playing basketball in the past and also hitting the gym but without any consistency and any form of serious training/programming.

After reading many articles and training templates I’ve decided it’s time to hit the gym.
Therefore from today I’ll start my first 12 weeks into the Wendler’s 5-3-1 strength training program.

I’m planning to start with a 3 days/week template, more similar to the 5-3-1 for football than to the 5-3-1 for strength training, but the overall concepts, I guess, are the same.

So far I’ve still two main concerns.

1. Military press: I’m a bit afraid that overhead press could affect my joints and affect my basketball training, especially after reading this article from DeFranco: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/shoulder_shocker

2. Assistance work: I know that probably 95% of the questions about 5-3-1 are on assistance lifts, but since I am a beginner I’m seeking for some help, in particular for someone who has used 5-3-1 with basketball/football/sport training in mind.

PS In the past I’ve never aimed to a true max effort rep, let’s say I’ve done sets of 10 reps bench pressing around 45kg (around 100 lbs), mainly due to the lack of equipment, spotter and overall being weak in my chest area.

Thank you for your attention, I’ll try to keep you updated with my progression in my training![/quote]

Wow. Lots of questions, all of them valid.

Military press: Some people say it hurts your shoulder, others think it is healthy. Who is right FOR YOU depends on your genetics and your shoulder mobility. General advice: if you feel pain in your joints during an exercise (expecially presses), something’s wrong. If you feel OK, there should be nothing to worry about.

Assistance: Pick the assistance according to your weaknesses. If you need technique practice, do the main movement for 3 easy sets of 10 and do an opposing movement for the same sets/reps (military press-pull ups, bench press-row etc). Since we don’t know what exactly you need it’S hard to say what type of assistance you should do.

Generally, start light. A spotter isn’t necessary if you’re being careful; after a while you will know when to stop. Also, leaving one last rep in the tank isn’t bad, quite the opposite.[/quote]

Thank you for your tips!
Today I’ve tested my bench press. Maybe I’ve been underestimating my PR a little bit or more likely I failed in starting too low.
Then I’ve added some DB incline press, DB rows, shrugs and a couple of ab exercises.

Now I’ll take a couple of days to plan more specifically how many days of the week I’ll train (2-3-4 days?), the assistance work and the conditioning (sprints, pylometric work, a bit of swimming since I’ve free access to the pool).