T Nation

My Father's Day So Far

For reasons that are much too involved to go into in this thread - we had to move from a really nice house that we were lease-purchasing and move back into our first house that we had been renting out. It is a POS with shingles.

Anyhow - with that small bit of background - this is how my Father’s day has gone so far:

My wife pulls the sheets off the bed and starts a load of laundry as soon as I get my lazy ass out of said bed. Unfortunately - the washer and dryer are hooked up in our bedroom.

We are having our morning green tea, discussing what I wanted to do today being that it is Father’s Day and all. I told her that I wanted to do absolutely nothing except maybe watch a little golf, a little NASCAR, and just pretty much make today a cheat/sit on my ass and do nothing day. I am sitting in my leather chair, checking emails, when I hear this sound coming from the bedroom. It was a cross between a high pitched scream, and a guttural moan. You would just have to hear it to understand just how strange the sound was.

I knew it was coming from my wife because my son was sitting on the couch channel surfing, and our daughter is at basketball camp.

I get up to see what the sound was all about, and when I get to the bedroom - the carpet is under water. Not just wet. Not just soggy, but there is a layer of water on top of the bedroom carpet.

I let out a sound similar to the one my wife had just made.

Then I lost my temper. I hate this house. Hate is being mild. I hate the washer. It is loud. It rattles, and it shakes the house when it is on the spin cycle.

I unplugged it and unhooked the water connections. Then I carried it into the hall, and body slammed it. I flipped it end over end until I was at the front door, and then…as a final “fuck you” to Kenmore, and all the evil it stands for, I picked up the washer and body slammed it on the front walk.

Then I spent 2 hours on the shop-vac, and removing carpet.

Now, for the rest of the day, I will be at Lowes, or Best Buy, looking for Washer/Dryer combos as well as picking out new flooring. I’ll be damned if I put carpet back in the bedroom.

But I have to say - beating the living crap out of that washing machine was one of the most cathartic exercises I have done since I got out of therapy.

I hope you dad’s have a great Father’s Day.

Sad times, bro. I just got back from the beach with my wife and daughter and read this.

Even though we are very well off, I still remember having to live like that and it sucks donkey balls — hunting under the couch for coins to go buy food, driving with no insurance because gasoline was a luxury, and so forth. I know you’re not THAT poor but I empathize.

Just remember: you live in the greatest country on the planet. One day, your life sucks. The next day you get a big job offer or your wife’s grandfather leaves her a shitload of money and a big house. Happens all the time, so hang in there.

that really sucks man but I have to admit that that would have been kinda funny to watch… … Hope the rest of the day goes a little better. Happy Father’s Day.

Did Samir and Michael Bolton help you destroy the washing machine while Geto Boys music played in the background?

Happy Father’s Day

Damn, dude. You may be a jackass but nobody deserves that on Father’s Day. I hope all ends well eventually. That sounds almost as bad as coming back to your apartment and finding out that Hurricane Ivan has remodeled it by decorating the insides with about 2 feet of sand and what can only be described as “gunk”.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Sad times, bro. I just got back from the beach with my wife and daughter and read this.

Even though we are very well off, I still remember having to live like that and it sucks donkey balls — hunting under the couch for coins to go buy food, driving with no insurance because gasoline was a luxury, and so forth. I know you’re not THAT poor but I empathize.

Just remember: you live in the greatest country on the planet. One day, your life sucks. The next day you get a big job offer or your wife’s grandfather leaves her a shitload of money and a big house. Happens all the time, so hang in there.[/quote]

I have plenty of money. I spent just shy of 4K this afternoon without even a second thought.

The point was that it happened on Father’s Day. The one day of year when I get to tell my son, or daughter to leave me alone, don’t touch the remote, and shut up…and they do it. Why? Because it’s Father’s Day.

I can also scratch my balls while sitting in my leather chair in nothing but my SpongeBob boxers without so much as a word from jana. Why? It’s Father’s Day.

I don’t care how well off you are - you just can’t go out and buy a Father’s Day.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Damn, dude. You may be a jackass but nobody deserves that on Father’s Day. I hope all ends well eventually. That sounds almost as bad as coming back to your apartment and finding out that Hurricane Ivan has remodeled it by decorating the insides with about 2 feet of sand and what can only be described as “gunk”. [/quote]

Jackass? Jackass? You are calling me a jackass?

Are the pot, or the kettle?

I got a hummer on the way to Amarillo. So it’s not all bad.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
…I can also scratch my balls while sitting in my leather chair in nothing but my SpongeBob boxers …

[/quote]

Uncanny. Exactly what I am doing!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Just remember: you live in the greatest country on the planet. One day, your life sucks. The next day you get a big job offer or your wife’s grandfather leaves her a shitload of money and a big house. Happens all the time, so hang in there.

I have plenty of money. I spent just shy of 4K this afternoon without even a second thought.

The point was that it happened on Father’s Day. The one day of year when I get to tell my son, or daughter to leave me alone, don’t touch the remote, and shut up…and they do it. Why? Because it’s Father’s Day.

I can also scratch my balls while sitting in my leather chair in nothing but my SpongeBob boxers without so much as a word from jana. Why? It’s Father’s Day.

I don’t care how well off you are - you just can’t go out and buy a Father’s Day.

[/quote]
maybe spending 4k without thinking is why you are in a shitty rental. you know you can get close to a three quarter million dollar mortgage loan for less than that per month with excellent credit right? and i know you know living expenses in texas are pretty low.

what are you doing in a shitty rental if you can drop 4k with out a thought?

and you certainly can buy a fathers day. my dad got a round of golf with his son, a new bike seat and a bike ride with his son and daughter as well as dinner with the whole family. all the fun fatherly stuff rather than sitting in a corner ignoring every one. i’m not sure what holiday that would be. maybe it’s just my dad, but he loves spending fathers day with his kids.

Well with my fathers day I was able to get and do what I wanted… .It started off with a nice breakfast, with eggs. And ended with my all time favorite movie “Roots” while with the fam’ G’nite Yall!

[quote]texasguy wrote:
maybe spending 4k without thinking is why you are in a shitty rental. you know you can get close to a three quarter million dollar mortgage loan for less than that per month with excellent credit right? and i know you know living expenses in texas are pretty low. [/quote]

When you can make 139K per year and owe no one a dime - then maybe you can tell me about how to live my life.

I live in a shitty rental because I own the shitty rental free and clear, just like I own my 2004 Suburban, my office building, and everything else that has my name on it.

If you want to sign your life away - knock yourself out. Just don’t tell me how to live mine. I will be paying cash for a custom built house when we have enough saved up. And you know what? I will only spend 2-3 years saving versus 30 years owing a banker. You can shove your credit score up your ass because cash will trump a 750 credit score any day.

Evidently you missed the part about “for reasons that are too lengthy to go into in this thread”.

Let me give you the short version. I am debt free. I will stay debt free. Taking out a mortgage, or lease-purchasing is debt. Debt is for sucks. I am not a suck. And I am no longer lease-purchasing. I live in a shitty house that I own.

Do you feel like a dipshit yet - or should I continue?

I own this rental free and clear too! That’s a wood burning stove

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Let me give you the short version. I am debt free. I will stay debt free. Taking out a mortgage, or lease-purchasing is debt. Debt is for sucks. I am not a suck. And I am no longer lease-purchasing. I live in a shitty house that I own.

[/quote]

Living debt free is the only way.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

[/quote]

If feeling like a dipshit really concerned him, he would have stopped posting here after that animal stak 2 thread.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
texasguy wrote:
maybe spending 4k without thinking is why you are in a shitty rental. you know you can get close to a three quarter million dollar mortgage loan for less than that per month with excellent credit right? and i know you know living expenses in texas are pretty low.

When you can make 139K per year and owe no one a dime - then maybe you can tell me about how to live my life.

what are you doing in a shitty rental if you can drop 4k with out a thought?

I live in a shitty rental because I own the shitty rental free and clear, just like I own my 2004 Suburban, my office building, and everything else that has my name on it.

If you want to sign your life away - knock yourself out. Just don’t tell me how to live mine. I will be paying cash for a custom built house when we have enough saved up. And you know what? I will only spend 2-3 years saving versus 30 years owing a banker. You can shove your credit score up your ass because cash will trump a 750 credit score any day.

Evidently you missed the part about “for reasons that are too lengthy to go into in this thread”.

[/quote]
139k a year doesn’t really impress me jack. i’m one of the lucky spoiled kids that run around our great home state whose grandfather was very heavily invested in oil when the industry was just starting out.

sorry, but i do understand i’m a rare case. dad is director of marketing and sales for an international marketing firm based in houston and i’ve been recieving top notch financial counsel from our family accountant since i was kid and was given a portfolio to continue building as i got older.

honestly, i’m probably worth more than you’ll earn in a life time and i just had to be born. normally i don’t mention that info, but if you want to assume there you go. commence flaming.

and i don’t owe anybody money either.

at 139k a year, saving for two years on top of what you spend to live will not build much of a custom home. but i guess there is an element of relativity there.

i will agree that it is good to avoid credit cards and seedy fast loans, but loans that truly improve the quality of life are not that bad if they are manageable. such as mortgaging a nicer house than you could save for.

if you can save so much money so quickly anyways, it really makes more sense to take out a mortgage for more than you can afford and then work your magic savings tricks to pay it off early. you’ll live in your custom home sooner, for a greater length of time than waiting to buy it and you’ll pay it off with out much interest cost if you can really pull so much money together so fast.

just pay your premium. you may not be in debt now, but you aren’t living how you apparently want to be either.

you may sign a 30 year mortgage, but you only owe the banker for that long if you wait the whole time to pay it off. if you want to get technical, you could figure out how much your house will cost that you are saving for, how much interest difference there will be on a mortgage and how quickly you have to pay off the interest to avoid paying more than you are anyways.

your 2-3 years vs 30 doesn’t make the house cheaper, it just means you paid it off earlier. you still sink the same cost if you beat the mortgage game, but you can get more house.

then your credit is higher, you can get a vacation home or upgrade your regular home again with a better loan and pay that off. credit is a good thing if you learn to use it to your advantage. it is a bad thing if you must rely on it.

i’ll take my excellent credit and my cash though, thank you.

and no, i don’t feel like an idiot but you can continue if you’d like.

and jim walter homes don’t count as custom homes btw.

also, bums are debt free too.

one last thing, let me know if you’d like a vacation to get away from all the non stress of being debt free. I’ll see if one of our rental homes is open. would you like padre, pensacola or colorado?

[quote]ssn0 wrote:
I own this rental free and clear too! That’s a wood burning stove [/quote]

what the fuck is free and clear anyways? is that a mortgage under a different name for people with out credit?

I would like to hear more. I cry bullshit.

You sound like a nice dad telling your kids to shut up, and having your balls in full view of your family.

You seem like you set a great example losing your temper and throwing a washing machine out the door. Ive seen your type of neighborhood on the news.

I’m sure the washer didn’t break, you just couldn’t afford your water bill or electricity so it was shut off.

I’m glad this shit happened to you. I wish it would have been worse actually.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
rainjack wrote:

If feeling like a dipshit really concerned him, he would have stopped posting here after that animal stak 2 thread.[/quote]

OUCH!

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
rainjack wrote:

If feeling like a dipshit really concerned him, he would have stopped posting here after that animal stak 2 thread.[/quote]

not really. i made good gains. it was great stuff. lots of people emailed about it with questions and many decided to try it.

i’d say it was a successful thread. if you don’t like it, don’t use it. hang on Biotests nuts. it’s cool.

Sorry to hear about all the crap but consider what you have. You’re debt free and have a family who loves you. What more could a man ask? My son didn’t even call to wish me a happy Father’s Day and I just loaned him $3000 for a dirt bike a month ago. Anyway, happy Father’s Day to you and every other T-Dad out there.