My Experience on the Ketogenic Diet

g

[quote]keilnirby wrote:
Coming to the end of day 3 and, even after two training sessions and work at the restaurant, which involves walking around constantly for 5 hours, I’m still not in ketosis. I can tell because I feel like sh*t run over. I think I’m getting a cold too. Maybe there is something to that theory of carbs PW helping with immune system recovery.

In any case this has me wondering if my carbs are too high. On workout days I’m getting only 26 grams, including everything. Or it could be that my fats are too low, but this also seems unlikley. Or it could just be that I take longer to transition than most. [/quote]

What’s your total breakdown of Pro/Carbs/Fats? Realize, that if your protein is too high that can also prevent ketosis. Studies show that 58% of protein is converted to carbohydrates while on a low carb diet. However, only 10% of Fat is converted… Believe it or not, it only takes 150 g of protein/day to help prevent muscle loss while on a reduced calorie diet; anything more than that will hold you back to a degree. I still recommend taking 3 glucose tablets prior to your workouts so you can up the intensity and it’s only an additional 12g of Carbs. It will only temporarily kick you out of ketosis (once you get there) but will help your workouts immensely.

g

g

g

g

It took 10 days for me to get into Ketosis, I think.

The 10th day I felt so tired and just came home from work and took a nap and stayed on the couch.

I would give it 2 weeks.

Why would you want to deplete your glycogen stores?

I would look at CT’s workout. He is only doing 6 reps for most tthings I think.

I noticed a huge difference when I started taking BCAA’a outlined in CT’s thread. It does however give me an upset stomach so I had to down the dose for now.

g

Nice work on the reading! I was just going to suggest you check out one of Lyle’s books! Most the stuff I’m quoting is from “The Ketogenic Diet”. You should check out “TNT Diet” by Jeff Volek; it’s a Men’s Health Book, but he’s one of the leading researchers in low carb diets these days. Keep up the good work!

g

[quote]keilnirby wrote:
Oh I forgot to talk about one other thing. Last night was the first time I took 5-htp, which is supposed to help with sleep, carb cravings, and even mild depression. I took one 50 milligram capsule along with ZMA. I can’t say I really noticed anything, even though I was consciously trying to. I wasn’t expecting any strong reaction or anything like that…actually I don’t really know what I was expecting.

In any case since its pretty safe I will continue to take 50 mg this week and maybe bump it up to 100 mg next week, and try that out.

[/quote]
my wife takes 5-htp for her depression
she takes massive amounts but it really works for her shes really scared of prescribed drugs so this is better for her

she acts normal when she takes her 500mg tabs but if she dosent take it shes off her rocker
which is proabaly why we dont live together anymore

point is the stuff works if you need it but if you do not need it you will notice nothing is what she was told

g

g

g

Just FYI, you don’t need to have zero carbs to reach a ketogenic state. I can have up to 40 carbs and be in a very low keto state (tested) but when I hit about 30 carbs I’m in the medium to high keto range. This is at 4300 calories a day, so your milage will vary. (more calories = more carb allowance to get out of the keto state)

As per your other message about experimenting with the carb amount (and fat amount) have you been testing it or just ball-parking it? (ketostix?)

g

g

g

g