My Experience On the Anabolic Diet

Okay, thanks.

[quote]Philo wrote:
Okay, thanks.[/quote]

Hey there’s a thread over in T-Cell Alpha called ‘Low Carb PWO Nutrition’
Give that a read through. Seems like some people don’t respond well to the glycine and prefer leaving it out or subbing in BCAA’s or Taurine instead.

Hey…the ´Low Carb PWO Nutrition´Thread is great. Thank you.

But another question. Do you all follow the recommended calorie intake for the mass-phase? I think that is too much for me. I´m gaining with 18 cals per pound of BW. 25 times my BW is very much. I just get fat with this amount of energy intake.

And what do you think about a higher frequency of carb-loads? Dr. Warren Willey recommends in his book ‘Better than steroids’ two carb-up days per week or a 3/1 scheme. Anyone of you tried somtheing like this?

First of all try to stick to the program for at least 3-4 months. Although the internet has given us more resources we are so greedy that we try to combine the best of every world. Although this is not bad it can be counterproductive some times. SO stick to the diet and dont try any other plan

Yeah 18weight is a lot,for me at least but what i have found out that works is to find my lean body mass(pounds-poundsbodyfat)and multiply that with 18. It works for me,and it might work for you.

[quote]Philo wrote:
Hey…the ´Low Carb PWO Nutrition´Thread is great. Thank you.

But another question. Do you all follow the recommended calorie intake for the mass-phase? I think that is too much for me. I´m gaining with 18 cals per pound of BW. 25 times my BW is very much. I just get fat with this amount of energy intake.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that the original AD plan was written for elite level bodybuilders. So the recommendations there in may be out of whack for most of us.
If you are gaining on 18xBW, then I say keep intake at that level until the gains stop or slow down. Then up cals by 500/day. Dr. DiPasquale recommends shooting for a maximum gain of 2 lb/week. Same goes for losing weight i.e. max of 2 lb/week

I think 2 lb/week ist too much. I´ve never gained 2 lb/week without a lot of fat before and I think it´s also not possible with the AD. I´ve gained over 7 lb in the last 5-6 weeks. My bodyfat is also a little higher now, but just 1% or so. Now I´m on 209 lb and 10% BF. I think I will continue my mass-phase until I´m on 11-12% BF and then go to the cutting-phase. In july I´ll then begin with my contest.

[quote]Philo wrote:
I think 2 lb/week ist too much. I´ve never gained 2 lb/week without a lot of fat before and I think it´s also not possible with the AD. I´ve gained over 7 lb in the last 5-6 weeks. My bodyfat is also a little higher now, but just 1% or so. Now I´m on 209 lb and 10% BF. I think I will continue my mass-phase until I´m on 11-12% BF and then go to the cutting-phase. In july I´ll then begin with my contest. [/quote]

Sounds pretty well thought out. Keep at it and eat steak.
The 2 lb/week is the MAX. the point at which you hit diminishing returns body-comp wise. But maybe that 2lb/week was good for those who bulk on carb diets? since they would have to necessarily carry a little more fat.

Stay strong, lift big and get those before and afters to prove that you can build muscle on the AD.

Hey guys just wanted to confirm something… which may have been covered earlier…

If I was cooking a very lean dish - like tuna steaks+ broccoli+peppers… then the fat content would be quite low.

Now if we assume that a tbsp of olive oil is 15g fat, then to get my 200g fat per day I could just take 12-13 tbsp of olive oil (or flax oil, or fish oil) in my protein shakes, and that would be okay, right?! (Im not planning this just asking, as Im not keen on eating greasy foods, but want an efficient way to meet my daily fat count!)

Also, I read somewhere that up to 50% of fats should be from saturates, whereas I thought it was 30%?!?

Thanks

~M~

[quote]Max888 wrote:

If I was cooking a very lean dish - like tuna steaks+ broccoli+peppers… then the fat content would be quite low.

Now if we assume that a tbsp of olive oil is 15g fat, then to get my 200g fat per day I could just take 12-13 tbsp of olive oil (or flax oil, or fish oil) in my protein shakes, and that would be okay, right?! (Im not planning this just asking, as Im not keen on eating greasy foods, but want an efficient way to meet my daily fat count!)

Also, I read somewhere that up to 50% of fats should be from saturates, whereas I thought it was 30%?!?

Thanks

~M~[/quote]
yea thats fine. A lot of people (me included) go that route. A little natural animal fat is probably more palatable once in a while.
Berardi says sat fat @ 30%, but since we are less likely to store it on the AD, more than 30% should not be a concern.

[quote]Evil1 wrote:
yea thats fine. A lot of people (me included) go that route. A little natural animal fat is probably more palatable once in a while.
Berardi says sat fat @ 30%, but since we are less likely to store it on the AD, more than 30% should not be a concern.

[/quote]

Cool. I just like the idea of eating ‘fresh’ foods, with little grease factor!

:slight_smile:

Could I get some advice regarding my carb up and a work out the same day?

I doing a 36 hour carb up (Friday afternoon through Saturday night)

On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I do a split which hits everybody part. On Friday afternoon, I am trying a full body circuit work out 4 times through.

My plan is to hit carbs right after that workout. (Probably some pretzels with a protein shake)

At this point I am avoiding carbs prior to the workout, to avoid feeling sluggish during the workout, but will take advantage of the afterworkout carbs.

Would anyone consider doing carbs before the workout Friday?

AD AT WORK:

Hey guys, need some help on doing the AD while at work!..

Just curious what most of you tyolicaly eat when at an office job for like 9-10hrs per day!?!?

Well frying up a steak is out!! lol…I know I can take stuff into work, but as I want to eat some hearty meals every three hours…thats gonna be a pain making/ carrying that food every day!!..I also want to get the macros spot on, which is tricky when ordering from a cafe/ deli…

I was considering making my carb up period on the work-weekdays to make life a bit easier…

Any meal plan suggestions at work?!??

Cheers

~M~

[quote]Max888 wrote:
AD AT WORK:

Just curious what most of you tyolicaly eat when at an office job for like 9-10hrs per day!?!?

Well frying up a steak is out!! lol…I know I can take stuff into work, but as I want to eat some hearty meals every three hours…thats gonna be a pain making/ carrying that food every day!!..I also want to get the macros spot on, which is tricky when ordering from a cafe/ deli…

I was considering making my carb up period on the work-weekdays to make life a bit easier…

Cheers

~M~[/quote]

You like soups? if you do;

1)Meat-n-Egg Soup

Hard-Boiled Eggs
Left over meat shreds(Make extra at dinner)
Spinach (chopped)
Spice as needed. (tabasco or paprika works great)
1 cup boiling water (should be available at the cafeteria)

Grab a bowl, Put the Spinach, the meat and the spices in.
Add the hot water. Now separate the boiled yolks and mash them into the soup, this makes it thick. Shred the boiled whites and toss them in. Stir and let it sit for a minute.
Adjust the macros via amount of each ingredient for your cals.

Generally: Make a big pile of one dish. Adjust it so that it fits your macros and separate into however many servings you want.

Thanks Evil1- liking the soup approach - easy to digest too!

Im getting a bit miffed as my cholesterol tests havent arrived yet…but any day now!

~M~

I make eggs in the microwave at work. Bacon or sausage when I’m bulking as well. Almonds, natural peanut butter are some of my staples. Hamburgers with no bun, cheese, protein shakes with olive or flax oil added. Roast beef is also one of my favorites to take in. Just think about what works for you… it’s pretty easy.

[quote]Philo wrote:
Evil1 wrote:
Philo wrote:
I think I have to go back to DiPasquale´s Metabolic Diet an some Pre- and Post-WO-Carbs. I crashed again on thursday. So I think I will go back next week to 75g of Carbs per day. So I will eat an apple Pre-Workout and 25g of maltodextrine and ALA PWO. It really works much better for me. For friday I will stay at <30g of carbs and then go to the carb-up-weekend.

Have you tried increasing the fat as a remedy?

Yes, but I´m allways crashing on thursday. Don´t know why! I´m feeling great from Mon-Wed and Fri-Su again. It´s always Thu. No power, no energy, soreness…When I´m on 50-75g of Carbs there are no problems and everything works great!
[/quote]

If you can handle the 50 - 75 and you still are dropping bodyfat, then proceed. It’s all about making things work for you.

[quote]Max888 wrote:
AD AT WORK:

Cheers

Hey Max,

I don’t have a 9-5 in the traditional sense, but I travel a lot as a coach…so I can definetly tell you, I need to come up with cooking-free meals.

If you have to eat at a deli or cafe go with a salad with chicken breast; everyone has these now.

The old hamburger sans bun works well in a pinch…don’t eat 5 McDoubles tho, for some reason I felt sick after that…

If you dont mind a small amount of mixing, carrying protein powder in a small glass pyrex bowl, then adding water at meal time works well. It makes a pudding-type shake. This works well with MD because it’s already a thick shake.

Peperoni and cheese are classics. Sometimes, they can be your only salvation when having to go into some God-forsaken convience store.

Other Deli foods: turkey, chicken, roast beef, cheese, tuna salad (ask if there’s sugar in the mix).

Mixed nuts can be left at work and come in handy when you are really hungry.

Let me know if you need further help.

[quote]Max888 wrote:

Thanks

30% is a good goal. If you only ate flax/fish you’d develop an omega 6 problem. Soooo, my suggestion - use olive, flax, fish and coconut. Plus, you can cook with the coconut oil and get your fat at the same time.
~M~[/quote]

[quote]Kairewa wrote:
hey guys,

has anyone used carb blockers to help manage their carb intake.

sorry if this has already been covered

thanks in advance[/quote]

I think for the most part they suck. I know ALA was popular for a while, tho I never personally tried it.

Don’t worry though, after a while on the diet you can raise your weekly carb numbers up. Just keep plugging away and losing that fat and remember that the longer you stick with it, the more it works with you!

-Steve

Low-Carb bread… too good to be true?

I bought some bread that has 13g carbs but 12g fiber. 1g effective carbs? Seems too good to be true to me. I still feel guilty eating it.