My Experience On the Anabolic Diet

Thanks Evil1 - I totally understand the immediate benefits of the AD, I guess my real concern is later on when Im like 40 or 50, and not training as hard!

Actually was gonna ask to post your stats at the beginning of the AD, and how it is now!

Well Ive ordered the cholesterol test, and keto stix. Gonna order a multi-vit, cod liver/ fish oil caps, flax seed oil, and fiber supplement today!

[PS - APOLOGIES for the multiple same posts - my PC is mis-behaving!!]

Cheers

~M~

My stats have not changed all that much. But if you knew me you’d know why that’s a good thing.
My lifts have all gone up steadily. the last time I stepped on to the Tanita thing at the gym, it showed me at a bf of 5%. That’s probably way under the real one because I was wearing some clothes.
Apart from that, if you want reassuranc that the AD is healthy as a long term plan, go to forum.lowcarber.org

It has thousands of very active 30,40,50 even 60 year olds who are all on some kind of low carb diet. (from atkins, paleo to protein power)
The bottom line for me is: I could stick to a normal 40-30-30 plan, BUT this is wayyy easier to follow, gives more freedom and teaches you a thing or two about food and its function plus its just plain fun to do.

Cool - Evil1 did you get my PM about the job thing?

I spoke with a friend who is a personal trainer, and he mentioned that he had several clients that were on a similar diet to the AD.

He said that most of them just didnt have the energy to train hard with that diet, and so put them back onto more carbs.

Im quite lean anyway (6% bf), and have had times in the past where I have eaten very low carbs/ hi-protein, and felt weak too…felt very sleepy also!

How have you guys coped with this lethargy when trying to train?!? (ps I cant stand coffee!..lol)

Also- tomatoes: I love them…and would prefer to cook most of the meats in some kind of sauce (the thought of eating greasy meat doesnt really appeal!) - could this neutralize some of the benefits of the protein synthesis / fat absorption?

Cheers

~M~

[quote]Max888 wrote:
Cool - Evil1 did you get my PM about the job thing?

I spoke with a friend who is a personal trainer, and he mentioned that he had several clients that were on a similar diet to the AD.

He said that most of them just didnt have the energy to train hard with that diet, and so put them back onto more carbs.

Im quite lean anyway (6% bf), and have had times in the past where I have eaten very low carbs/ hi-protein, and felt weak too…felt very sleepy also!

How have you guys coped with this lethargy when trying to train?!? (ps I cant stand coffee!..lol)

Also- tomatoes: I love them…and would prefer to cook most of the meats in some kind of sauce (the thought of eating greasy meat doesnt really appeal!) - could this neutralize some of the benefits of the protein synthesis / fat absorption?

Cheers

~M~[/quote]

Hi. Because you carb up every weekend on the AD, you will not be lathargic and will have plenty of energy to train. You may hit a few rough spots in the first couple weeks as you adapt though.

Many people feel like crap on low carb diets because

A) They don’t get enough fat

B) They don’t carb up.

The AD takes care of both of those… as long as you follow it properly.

Cheers DJS

Any responses to my point on tomatoes, guys?

Cheers

~M~

Broadly speaking, you can eat any thing during weekdays as long as your carb total stays under 30gm.
This can include ice cream, doughnuts fruit juice if you’re so inclined.

The reason most don’t go that route is that you can eat more variety of foods through out the day and veggies are healthier than the above listed.
Tomatoes are absolutely fine. Just remember a large one is 7gm CHO.

Quick sauce for cooking:
1 tomato + 2 tbsp vinegar(any) + spices (to taste) + sprigs of parsley/basil (dhania! ;P)
blend all this together and slowly drizzle in olive oil to create an emulsion of sorts.
Also look into Pesto’s for cooking. (pesto are generally mixes of parmesan cheese, nuts and olive oil with basil or tomatoes)

Quick AD Pasta:
Make a 2 egg crepe (a really thin omelet). cut into thin strips. toss with spinach, chunks of meat/fish and 1 tbsp of pesto.

forum.lowcarber.org - i swear you’ll never get tired of the variety of recipes

Broadly speaking, you can eat any thing during weekdays as long as your carb total stays under 30gm.
This can include ice cream, doughnuts fruit juice if you’re so inclined.
The reason most don’t go that route is that you can eat more variety of foods through out the day and veggies are healthier than the above listed.
Tomatoes are absolutely fine. Just remember a large one is 7gm CHO.
Quick sauce for cooking:
1 tomato + 2 tbsp vinegar(any) + spices (to taste) + sprigs of parsley/basil (dhania! ;P)
blend all this together and slowly drizzle in olive oil to create an emulsion of sorts.
Also look into Pesto’s for cooking. (pesto are generally mixes of parmesan cheese, nuts and olive oil with basil or tomatoes)

Quick AD Pasta:
Make a 2 egg crepe (a really thin omelet). cut into thin strips. toss with spinach, chunks of meat/fish and 1 tbsp of pesto.

forum.lowcarber.org - i swear you’ll never get tired of the variety of recipes

Hmmm interesting!!..

Okay question to y’all about FAT>>

I did a search on Fitday about certain fats, in particular Olive Oil and Flax Oil, as these are likely to be my most abundant fats along with fish caps!

It turns out that 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil are like 272Kcals, and approx 27g fat! …sweet!!

So… if I were to cook a dish of say Chicken stir fried with lots of veg (broccoli, peppers etc), could I then neck 2 tablespoons of olive oil and count that as a meal with circa 30g fat??? (I know the oil will taste rough, but at least I can do it with water, and its in its purest uncooked form! lol)

I like eating my foods in ‘fresh form’, and so all that gloopy, oily taste from some of the dishes seems a bit rough…Id rather neck the fat and get it over with…haha!

And with saturated fats - do you guys pay any attention to how much of your fat cals come from this!..or you’re not worried about this?

Like to hear from a few guys on this…cheers

~M~

i take 3 tablespoons of olive oil right off the spoon every day. tastes fine. all the ratios are in the book. I thought someone sent it to you? 30% of fat from saturated fat i beieve., from memoy.

I’ve drank olive oil before as well. I’ve never hated it more.

By the way, for those of you using ‘spoons’, be aware that 15mL (one serving) is typically far more than I’ve ever seen sit on a normal-sized spoon. Once again, this is why weight is my cardinal concern.

Max, sodium nitrite is a preservative, typically used in preserving meat products. Any sort of packaged or cured meat will probably have it in the ingredients list (not fresh meat that you’ll find in the styrofoam/plastic wrapping in the meat dept.) including just about every kind of sausage. I do not think my brats have it in them. It’s also in lunchmeat and all other deli meats.

The reason it should be avoided is because it can easily degrade (especially in high temperatures) into nitrosamines, which are carcinogenic.

Now, as with most things that I dive headfirst into with regards to dedication, I go a little over-the-top, always following the ‘best’ of the “Good, Better, Best” principle. I like the idea of being healthy. I like the idea of retarding my aging process. I like the idea of feeling like I’m 30 when I’m 65. Bacon isn’t THAT good, I’m okay without it. On that note, bacon was the ONLY thing I liked that had these nasty preservatives. I don’t like pepperoni, salami is okay, but none really fit as ‘healthful food items’. I’ve heard many stories of people sticking to their lean meats on the AD but enhancing them with their own added oils like olive oil (make sure not to cook with it, or at least low temps), canola, coconut, safflower, etc. oils.

Also, this may totally just be my paranoia, but I group tomatoes with peas and carrots, meaning I don’t eat them unless it’s the weekend. Like I’ve said, I’m eating for fat loss right now, and several months ago when I was dieting the most hardcore I ever have (and that’s saying a lot since I’m always strict), I cut out tomatoes because I wasn’t sure if they were as innocent as I needed them to be when my body composition is on the line.

I think its good to be strict as it shows that you are dedicated!

I was about to raise the point on anti-ageing using AD.

I have read that the quality of your life is determined by the quality of your cells (makes sense). And maintaining an alkaline presence in your blood is essential to cell quality and the ions charged in your plasma.

Given that meat is highly acidic, have you researched the AD in terms of anti-ageing etc?

Really keen to hear views on this

Cheers

~M~

[quote]Max888 wrote:
I think its good to be strict as it shows that you are dedicated!

I was about to raise the point on anti-ageing using AD.

I have read that the quality of your life is determined by the quality of your cells (makes sense). And maintaining an alkaline presence in your blood is essential to cell quality and the ions charged in your plasma.

Given that meat is highly acidic, have you researched the AD in terms of anti-ageing etc?

Really keen to hear views on this

Cheers

~M~[/quote]

http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-A-Low-Carb-Diet-Part-Of-Your-Anti-Aging-Strategy?&id=121737

http://www.chiroeco.com/article/2006/Issue10/PR1.php

I don’t plan to do much more research on the Anabolic Diet, to be honest. My nutritional beliefs fall among those of Jonny Bowden and John Berardi. I’m merely experimenting with outrageous extremes right now for the sake of experimenting and learning about my body through application and for the tool it functions as.

I have absolutely no desire or plan to be on the AD for more than several months. When I’m happy with my leanness (God, I hope that actually happens) I will give the AD a chance as a bulking tool for 2-4 weeks. If I’m not satisfied with either the diet itself or the results, I will not hesitate to ditch it because I will have given it more than adequate time with which to construct an experienced opinion. I’m expecting to lose interest in the diet itself before the results shine through, and that just becomes a testament to a weakness in its construction. My biggest issue with it is variety, as the carb control keeps you on a very tight leash, especially when trying to eat more.

Lol Max bro dont worry that much about aging,you are probably pretty young and i dont think that you will follow that diet for 50 or so years(thats what i think at least)

Guys i was wondering if you eat avocado during the weekdays.I think that its a great source of fiber and fat but i read a post from Thib saying that although its good he would not recommend more than half fruit every day.

Opinions?

This is ONE BIG THING I need clarification on…

The AD has been touted as an amazing diet, it promotes lean muscle, increased energy, lower bodyfat, and even helps with anti-ageing… then why would it not be suitable for many years!?

Asides from the food choices, you are basically eating everything aside of carbs and simple sugars (except for the weekends!)

And I would think the Metabolic Diet designed for the general public is more relaxed on the macrontrient ratios…

So why would people wanna go back to their old ways, or back to a carb diet at any time?!

???

~M~

read the first 20 pages of the thread. multiple people on it for many years.

The trouble is that most people see the AD as a way to drop body fat fast without dropping a lot of muscle in the process and enjoying the comparative freedom.
That aside, I can assure you that plenty of people stay on the AD for years. Of the people here on T-Nation, Dish Hoss(>15 years), Tribulus, Avocado, Il Cazzo, Me etc.
It’s just that most people don’t post very often or at all.

Other than that, I guess some people just prefer one diet over another or they feel the gains don’t come as fast.

I intend to stay on the plan for life. To me it just makes a ton of sense.

You can stay on AD as long as you like. Some people just like to use it to achieve certain results. Once I get to a certain leanness, I may allow myself an additional amount of carbs for post workout nutrition, but otherwise I am planning on keeping my carbs low. It is after all non-essential nutrition. My mindset is what is best for the human body is eating what we evolved on and what our body was evolved to use for our highest level of performance.

I have olive oil or flax oil in my protein shakes every day. I’m down to 2100-2200 kcals a day right now so only 1 tbsp a day.

Measured myself at 12% body fat at 190 pounds with accumeasure calipers last night. I plan on getting under 9 with this cut.

I hear what you are saying Evil1, and I agree. If I found a diet that was easy to maintain, and promoted a healthy inner and outer balance, then I would stick with it. No doubt I will adjust the ratios as I reduce training etc…

DJS - I remember you saying you work in the financial markets like me… So really curious to know a breakdown of your diet + training when you are in an office for some 10-12hours per day!? (Its tough to cook steak when you have lunch at your desk!)

Cheers

~M~

yes… agreed… it is tough. no lunch hour for me! Well I gave you a full day of diet a page or two back. I keep it pretty much the same every work day for the reasons you mentioned. I cook five pounds of meatballs and like 3 lbs of chicken on sunday afternoons. I bring that to work each day and i cook my bacon and eggs each night for the next day.

reheating eggs in the microwave tastes fine. They dont come out rubbery or anything. I do think steak would be kinda beat in the microwave and that is why I do the meatballs. Another choice is to have your steaks at night. I just chose to go this way.

As previously mentioned, I follow a five day split routine and I workout in the mornings. I workout at home before shower and begin my commute. I don’t have everything, but i have enough at home to get the job done.

This morning I did:

Weighted pullups
barbell rows
t-bar rows
deadlifts