My Experience On the Anabolic Diet

How does this diet fare cost wise, compared to other diets, what with the premium price of most protein/fat combinations?

[quote]Joe Daley wrote:
How does this diet fare cost wise, compared to other diets, what with the premium price of most protein/fat combinations?

[/quote]

The egg is your friend. Seriously, they are cheep and just about perfect. Granted, beef, chicken and olive oil are usually expensive, although you aren’t spending money on juice, milk, bread, pasta, etc during the week.

I use fish oil and ground flax seeds along with Low-Carb Grow! and ON Whey.

Honestly, I’ve been eating like this for so long that I don’t remember how much it used to cost to eat a high carb diet.

[quote]Joe Daley wrote:

[/quote]

Pretty Freaking expensive, but I’m going to start eating more eggs.

Not enough to warrant a second purchase. The principles are what rock…

DH

[quote]mdragon wrote:
JuliusA wrote:
Are you doing the AD for PLers or BBers?

-J

I just ordered AD and then saw there were two diff. versions. I got the one for BB’s by default. I wish I had gotten it for PL’s. Any big diffs?[/quote]

Not too bad, really. Just buy a big ol’ tub of olive oil in the tin can and go big. This will last a good long while. I use 2 meals per day (lf 5 or 6) for my protein powder ingestions. Optimal times: waking, pre/post workout, bedtime.

You can expect to pay more for good meats, but look to some of the discount stores. Many seem to have good quality food at a decent price.

In all actuality, you can drop 1/2 of your supplement money and consider eggs, and steak your new “supps” Get ready to grow, baby.

DH

[quote]Joe Daley wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Not too bad, really. Just buy a big ol’ tub of olive oil in the tin can and go big. This will last a good long while. I use 2 meals per day (lf 5 or 6) for my protein powder ingestions. Optimal times: waking, pre/post workout, bedtime.

You can expect to pay more for good meats, but look to some of the discount stores. Many seem to have good quality food at a decent price.

In all actuality, you can drop 1/2 of your supplement money and consider eggs, and steak your new “supps” Get ready to grow, baby.

DH

Joe Daley wrote:
[/quote]

DH

Thanks for dropping in as you were the one who peaked my interest in this diet. Do you count calories/protein/fat/carbs. I’ve just been eating tons of protein and fat and counting carbs. Is this a mistake? Do you get the 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight? I’m assuming Surge is a no go. So will Low-Carb Grow! be the way to go along with some olive oil or flax oil for pre/post workout?

Thanks in advance.

I keep a mental note, but I’m so used to it that I’ve almost got it to decimal points when someone holds up any food product. Running joke among my friends. Just keep carbs to 30 or less. And YES, this is important because you are really bringing home the bacon (and fryin’ it up)with respect to fats and protein. I am at 245lbs. I get 300g of protein and no more. The AD is very protein sparring and you can easily get by with even 1g/lb. Different animal than being a carb burner as these poor folks are always on the brink of the body breaking down muscle for gluconeogenesis.

With the AD, glycogen stays in the muscle longer and you use fatty acids to get your energy. This is not a ketogenic diet as everyone assumes. Once you full adapt you will be using FA’s for your body fuel. Should be no ketones in your urine within 6 weeks or less.

Surge is a no-go for me. I wish they’d make a low carb version but there probably isn’t the market for that yet. I consume, currently, hydrolyzed whey (360-520 daltons) just before my workout, and again about 20-30 minutes after. It tastes like dung, so you can mix some splenda and some sugar free jello mix in with it to help. I also like a few grams of BCAA’s too. Then about 30 mins later I have some protein with heavy whipping cream (not whipped cream). Has worked well for me.

This all works better and better as you stay on the diet longer. To really fully adapt it takes around 6-8 weeks. Not to say that you don’t see improvements sooner, but you will feel yourself hitting full throttle in the above time frame.

Best,
DH

And yes… I like a little olive oil and/or some fish caps with the first post drink. Only about 10g or so. Then I hit about 40g of fat on my second post drink with regular protein mix (I like milk isolate w/WPC). Too much fat in the immediate post meal is a bit much on the gut, so I add just a minimum of healthy fats at this time.

DH

[quote]mdragon wrote:
Disc Hoss wrote:

DH

Joe Daley wrote:

DH

Thanks for dropping in as you were the one who peaked my interest in this diet. Do you count calories/protein/fat/carbs. I’ve just been eating tons of protein and fat and counting carbs. Is this a mistake? Do you get the 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight? I’m assuming Surge is a no go. So will Low-Carb Grow! be the way to go along with some olive oil or flax oil for pre/post workout?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Just to let you know, my Italian-ness compells me to reccomend that you buy a quality, dark extra virgin olive oil in a tin.

For me, my first pwo meal is a whey shake and a few fish oil caps…I used to do some flax meal after but, well, it gave me some troubles. Then my second meal is higher in fat.

As for carb grams…as DH said, you will get very good at knowing how many carbs everything has. Personally I don’t count fiber, so some vegetables, like spinach, are good for me…dark lettuce too. Keeping under 30 is actually easier than you think and will be easy once you get used to it.

I will say this, at first, I used to turn the weekends into binges, eating everything in site. But after all these years, I find that I get sick if I eat too much junk. It’s like the longer I eat healthy, the more adverse reaction I get from junk.

hey DiscHoss,

I was wondering what your progress on the Anabolic/Metabolic Diet has been like, such as where did you start, and where are you now.

Preferably throw down some measurements of size increases, body fat %s, strength increases etc…

I’ve been trying to follow what you say about the A/MD in other threads and I’m probably going to start it up Monday (as I was just at a book store reading and taking notes from a book that Dr. DiPasquale co-authored because I’m really serious!).

Rock On.

Absolutely. This is the primo stuff, and should be what you consume. And if you really want the best stuff get the cold pressed extra virgin. Always in a tin can to protect from light. Perfetto, eh IL Cazzo?

DH

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Just to let you know, my Italian-ness compells me to reccomend that you buy a quality, dark extra virgin olive oil in a tin.[/quote]

Good advice again from the esteemed IC. Just a bit of fat for post workout #1. More on #2. Fiber is free and need not be counted. No impact on blood sugar levels of any significance and you should aim for about 25g or more of fiber per day to keep you regular/healthy. I get this from nuts, veggies, and the occassional low carb bread slice. Also psyllium hulls are great for this too. Many of the fiber powders use maltodextrin to flavor so be careful. Those carbs will count. After your 12 day chop-bustin’ break in period, you should strive to eat as many quality veggies as you can. Just be careful with peas and carrots. Avoid corn. Just do a carb content search online and you’ll be good to go.

CARDINAL RULE: If it goes into your pie hole, you MUST count it’s macronutient content. Be it food, liquid, condiment, sauce, gum, anything. Hey you … that air you’re breathing got carbs in it? That is the appropriate level of paranoia until this is second nature to you.

IC is right again on the ease of keeping under 30 when you really jack up your qualifying veggies. Also Hood makes an incredible low carb milk. This thing has only 2g CHO per 8oz glass and 12g of protein. Darn near a protein supplement drink, and it’s so good my 8 yr. old son prefers it to regular choc milk. Now THAT is a testimonial.

Something no one has brought up yet that really should be discussed is the plethora of low carb foods that have hit the market. Avoid the vast majority. Some of the sugar alcohols don’t impact blood sugar much, and some we really don’t know about. BUT anytime you give your body an energy substrate of any kind, it will compete with your fatty acids for metabolic use. On the positive, you usually won’t boost insulin with these, but on the negative you’ll not be burning as much fat. Save it for the fat Atkin’s ladies who want to suck down all their goodies and still lose weight. No guts, no glory. With the low carb milk, some low carb fajita wraps, and the proper low carb bread, you can really enjoy this diet. Especially during grilling season. Just subtract fiber from total CHO content and watch for sugar alcohols. Easy way is to look for the suffix -tol. As in sorbitol, malitol, xylitol, etc…
consider these to be metabolic brake pedals. Suck it up, cookie, you can do it.

And IC’s final good advice, do NOT be an idiot on the carb loads. That being said many of you will anyway, and you’ll learn quickly that it isn’t the way to go. By all means have some cake, ice cream, pizza, etc… but make sure that the majority of your needs are met with starches. The 75/25 rule works very well. And if you are trying to gain mass and eating 3,000 cals or more per carb day, then you get 1,800 cals or so of CHO. That’s some serious eatin’. And NO don’t worry about counting the cals and macros. Just eat plenty of breads, pastas, taters, yams, starchy veggies, oatmeal. Then you can shove some pizza and a shake down your throat.

Keep an eye on your body and it’ll tell you when you’ve had enough. Don’t listen to your appetite or you’ll carb load till your 80. I highly recommend 36 hours. Come Monday (or Sunday) you’ll be really pumped and strong. Think of me when you “wipe your hump on the rug” squat for an extra rep or two with ease. Might I even suggest crying out “My life for you!” (For all you King Dark Tower fans)

Questions…
Comments…
Monetary donations…

Anyone?, Anyone?

Best,
DH

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
For me, my first pwo meal is a whey shake and a few fish oil caps…I used to do some flax meal after but, well, it gave me some troubles. Then my second meal is higher in fat.

As for carb grams…as DH said, you will get very good at knowing how many carbs everything has. Personally I don’t count fiber, so some vegetables, like spinach, are good for me…dark lettuce too. Keeping under 30 is actually easier than you think and will be easy once you get used to it.

I will say this, at first, I used to turn the weekends into binges, eating everything in site. But after all these years, I find that I get sick if I eat too much junk. It’s like the longer I eat healthy, the more adverse reaction I get from junk.[/quote]

Get back on this soon. Might even do an AD thread myself that focuses on how I do it and the things I’ve come across. Wouldn’t mind IC and Morti Co-authoring since they have experience. Perhaps I’d call it The House that Hoss Built. Yeah, I’m a nursery rhyme buff in my spare time…

best,
DH

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
hey DiscHoss,

I was wondering what your progress on the Anabolic/Metabolic Diet has been like, such as where did you start, and where are you now.

Preferably throw down some measurements of size increases, body fat %s, strength increases etc…

I’ve been trying to follow what you say about the A/MD in other threads and I’m probably going to start it up Monday (as I was just at a book store reading and taking notes from a book that Dr. DiPasquale co-authored because I’m really serious!).

Rock On.
[/quote]

I am loving this diet!!! I am only a week and a half in, and it is the best thing I have ever done. I am not doing this diet to get ripped up, so I am eating like a freaking king. 18 eggs a day, at least six huge hamburgers a day covered in cheddar and Swiss cheese, lots of bacon, all the good stuff. I am taking a couple of tbls of fiber supplement a day to keep the pipes pumping. I am also eating vegges with three of my six meals and 5-10 fish oil pills with each meal too.
I can’t wait for the Biotest to release their fatty acid supp, it’s gonna be sweet!

Carb up is gonna be sweet too. I got 4 tubs of Surge I gotta use somehow:) I can say that this is not just gonna be a trend diet for me, but I whole new lifestyle. I am more pumped than I have been in a long while. Disc Hoss, Il Cazzo, and Robert Monti thanks for the tips. Lets keep this thing going.

Joe

Also all my workouts have been great. I thought going into this that I would always feel down and have no energy, which is how low carbs diets usually do me. I was wrong! I stay energized and I feel Grrreat!!! I wake up full too, which is really unusual for me. I can’t wait to see how carb up effects me.

I’m lookin forward to it

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Get back on this soon. Might even do an AD thread myself that focuses on how I do it and the things I’ve come across. Wouldn’t mind IC and Monti Co-authoring since they have experience. Perhaps I’d call it The House that Hoss Built. Yeah, I’m a nursery rhyme buff in my spare time…

best,
DH

CU AeroStallion wrote:
hey DiscHoss,

Rock On.

[/quote]

DH

That would be awesome!

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Get back on this soon. Might even do an AD thread myself that focuses on how I do it and the things I’ve come across. Wouldn’t mind IC and Monti Co-authoring since they have experience. Perhaps I’d call it The House that Hoss Built. Yeah, I’m a nursery rhyme buff in my spare time…

best,
DH

CU AeroStallion wrote:
hey DiscHoss,

Rock On.

[/quote]

I know what you mean. I’m loving it and am pretty excited to see what happens.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
Also all my workouts have been great. I thought going into this that I would always feel down and have no energy, which is how low carbs diets usually do me. I was wrong! I stay energized and I feel Grrreat!!! I wake up full too, which is really unusual for me. I can’t wait to see how carb up effects me.

[/quote]

The secret to making the transition a smooth one is to eat lots of calories. Dr. D. suggests at least 16x bodyweight (up to 18x) for a transition phase. You will adapt well and feel much better. Then once adapted (3-4 weeks we’ll say) you can begin to fluctuate intake for particular goals such as mass or fat loss. Just keep the veggies, fiber, and fish oil on tap to keep things healthy. Many people mistakenly make the cross over doubley hard by not keeping energy up with the proper caloric intake.

Best,
DH

[quote]mdragon wrote:
I know what you mean. I’m loving it and am pretty excited to see what happens.

Joebob wrote:

[/quote]