T Nation

My end of the Year Goals

Happy New Year everyone. As somewhat of New Year Resolution (which I usually don't believe in because it is kind of cliche) I've have thought about what strength goals I want to achieve by the end of 2015. Currently, I am at a BW of 151 lbs. and my lifting 1 rep max PR lifts are:

1. 210 lbs. on bench press
  2. 135 lbs. on OH press
  3. 280 lbs. on high-bar ATG Squats
  4. 300 lbs. on low-bar parallel squats
  5. 395 lbs. on conventional deadlift
  6. 140 lbs. on power cleans

My goals by the end of the year are:

1. Lean BW of 165 lbs.
  2. 275 lbs. for 1RM on bench press
  3. 160 lbs. for 1RM on OH press
  4. 275 lbs. for 1RM on high-bar ATG Squats
  5. 375 lbs. for 1RM on low-bar parallel squats
  6. 500 lbs. for 1RM on conventional deadlift
  7. 175 lbs. for 1RM on power cleans

Would these goals be realistic for someone like me, assuming if I have optimal programming throughout the entire year?

To clarify, one of your goals is to get weaker at high bar ATG squats?

Anything is possible. You may even exceed your goals as long as you:

(EDITED)1. You must accept the fact that you will gain a bit of fat. Don’t panic when you gain a bit of fat. Don’t start cutting when you gain a bit of fat. If you do, and this keeps happening, you will see minimal progress.

1. Stop over analysing stuff. Learn to filter, to break down something complex into it’s most basic attributes and discard the irrelevant.

2. Be open to different training methods if you start to plateau.

3. Start to identify what you respond to best. E.g. recovery time, frequency, amount of volume, set and rep scheme etc.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
To clarify, one of your goals is to get weaker at high bar ATG squats?[/quote]

Oh, woops. I meant to say approx. 315 lbs. for 1 RM max on High-bar ATG squats by the end of 2015.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

1. Don’t panic and cut everytime you gain a little fat.
    [/quote]
    What? lol

No one needs to “cut” when they gain a little fat. Just back your calories off a little bit. There is no need to bulk and cut, bulk and cut. This is for bodybuilders that are preparing for shows. If someone’s goal is to get stronger and build muscle then just eat well, sleep well, and train accordingly. If you literally gain fat then either a) reduce your calories a little OR b)examine what type of foods you are eating.

[quote]Evolv wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[/quote]
    What? lol

No one needs to “cut” when they gain a little fat. Just back your calories off a little bit. There is no need to bulk and cut, bulk and cut. This is for bodybuilders that are preparing for shows. If someone’s goal is to get stronger and build muscle then just eat well, sleep well, and train accordingly. If you literally gain fat then either a) reduce your calories a little OR b)examine what type of foods you are eating.[/quote]

This is what I meant. I guess it came out different in writing lol.

[quote]Evolv wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[/quote]
    What? lol

No one needs to “cut” when they gain a little fat. Just back your calories off a little bit. There is no need to bulk and cut, bulk and cut. This is for bodybuilders that are preparing for shows. If someone’s goal is to get stronger and build muscle then just eat well, sleep well, and train accordingly. If you literally gain fat then either a) reduce your calories a little OR b)examine what type of foods you are eating.[/quote]

It’s worth noting that this guy, in his various guises, has a habit of overanalysing anything over one sentence. You’re both right, but Dt79 was more succinct.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Evolv wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[/quote]
    What? lol

It’s worth noting that this guy, in his various guises, has a habit of overanalysing anything over one sentence. You’re both right, but Dt79 was more succinct.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say succinct. dt79’s statement was dubious. I read it the same way evolv did. And when speaking to a beginner, I’d imagine being thorough is extra important.

And which ever way you cut it, OP’s goals are mainly strength based, albeit lofty. It isn’t impossible, but it’s aiming high for sure. Cutting back on food intake while trying to gain weight and pack on a 3 times BW DL… Perhaps we could learn from evolv and analyze before we prescribe.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Evolv wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[/quote]
    What? lol

It’s worth noting that this guy, in his various guises, has a habit of overanalysing anything over one sentence. You’re both right, but Dt79 was more succinct.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say succinct. dt79’s statement was dubious. I read it the same way evolv did. And when speaking to a beginner, I’d imagine being thorough is extra important.

And which ever way you cut it, OP’s goals are mainly strength based, albeit lofty. It isn’t impossible, but it’s aiming high for sure. Cutting back on food intake while trying to gain weight and pack on a 3 times BW DL… Perhaps we could learn from evolv and analyze before we prescribe. [/quote]

Alright I apologise. I understand your concerns and have edited my post. Lets move on.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
[/quote]
Maybe I was reading it through different eyes than the OP would, I agree evolv’s was a much more thorough answer, and probably necessary when talking to some beginners.

[quote]
And which ever way you cut it, OP’s goals are mainly strength based, albeit lofty. It isn’t impossible, but it’s aiming high for sure. Cutting back on food intake while trying to gain weight and pack on a 3 times BW DL… Perhaps we could learn from evolv and analyze before we prescribe. [/quote]

I don’t think any of his goals (barring the deadlift) are that unreasonable IF the OP can focus purely on strength for the next 12 months and not worry much about minutiae and whatever shiny new conundrum presents itself.

It’s all good. I think everyone is clear on what dt79 meant. Whether I misinterpreted or not, I feel we’re on the same page on the issue. Not a big deal.

I knew what dt79 meant, and grammar-wise his wording was perfectly acceptable, due to the lack of a comma. If you add a comma, that changes the sentence (to the meaning which some interpreted).

Don’t panic and cut everytime you gain a little fat.
VS
Don’t panic, and cut every time you gain a little fat

Of course, with the latter wording (which he didn’t use), why have “don’t panic” in there at all?

Reading comprehension?

Why have you been here for almost three years, but still haven’t hit a four plate deadlift?

[quote]craze9 wrote:
I knew what dt79 meant, and grammar-wise his wording was perfectly acceptable, due to the lack of a comma. If you add a comma, that changes the sentence (to the meaning which some interpreted).

VS

Of course, with the latter wording (which he didn’t use), why have “don’t panic” in there at all?

Reading comprehension?[/quote]

I appreciate you (and dagill2) helping me clarify my post.

The bottomline is that if 2 experienced posters can misunderstand it, beginners reading it would be even more likely to read it differently. So I edited it.

It’s not a big deal anyway lol, so let’s move on. Let’s just hope our dear bull_scientist will come back in a couple of months and surprise us with his progress.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote:

VS

Reading comprehension?[/quote]

I appreciate you (and dagill2) helping me clarify my post.

The bottomline is that if 2 experienced posters can misunderstand it, beginners reading it would be even more likely to read it differently. So I edited it.

It’s not a big deal anyway lol, so let’s move on. Let’s just hope our dear bull_scientist will come back in a couple of months and surprise us with his progress.[/quote]

I wasn’t confused. Lol. gotcha back dt79:)

The fact that the bulk of this thread focuses more on the “clarity” of someone trying to help versus the OP’s original question is…interesting. OP, a full year of 531 will land you right in the ball park of most of your goals. Problem solved.

[quote]turtletaub wrote:
The fact that the bulk of this thread focuses more on the “clarity” of someone trying to help versus the OP’s original question is…interesting.[/quote]
There’s a long history between most of the people answering and the OP’s “questions”.

Were this basically anyone else, I’m certain the responses would be significantly different.