My EDT Critique

Hi Phil,

I was just finishing up a program when I read your orinal post a while back and it intrigued me enough to make the plunge into EDT. I had done an EDT program a couple of years ago that was ok (2 pr. zones) but I liked the looks of all of the big compound movements. I’ve just finished my 2nd week and I am loving it. It’s all of my favorite lifts rolled into one rigourous program. I’m planning on doing 2 more weeks and then taking a break.

Next week will be a killer as I’ve adjusted the weight accordingly based on my first 2 weeks. After that squat/lunge/extension day I thought I might need assistance getting up off the toilet I was that sore.

In your new variation, I understand the first 2 exercises are 10x3, but is that for week 1 only? Week 2 are you planning on 10x4 (ABBH style) or sticking with 10x3 but upping the weight?

Thanks again for sharing this workout!
Sterno

Great yes I know the feeling I try and do some type of something just to get the blood flowing like sprints etc. to flush out the muscles That helped a LOT with the DOMS.

Yes this is training weeks two and I was able to progress(so Far) to 10x4 with NO problem. it was actually easier than the 10 x 3. The plan was to just as EDT make progress Start with the 10 x 4 and if need be drop to 10 x 3. But so far no need, we’ll see if that stays.

Oh yes gotta love that squat day. LOL Once you get the weight nailed its killer.

Good Luck and keep me/us infromed on how it goes. I am liking both ways though I think I can stick to the current one a bit longer ( more weeks) without a break.

Ltr,
Phill

I just finished my third week of EDT for the whole body. Man, was I in need of a week off, and that’s what I’m doing this week. I think it’s paid off though. Surprisingly I had the most results in my legs. This could be because I generally use low volume/high intensity for legs, with various Squats. Here is my slight modification based on Charles article EDT Phase II.

Day One
First PR-Zone (15 Minutes)
A-1: Pull-up
A-2: Military Press
Second PR-Zone (15 Minutes)
B-1: Dips
B-2: DB Hammer Curls
Third PR-Zone (15 Minutes)
C-1: EZ Reverse Curl
C-2: Lying DB Extension

Day Two
A-1: Front Squat
A-2: Leg Curls
B-1: RDL (romainain deadlift)
B-2: Hanging Leg Raise
C-1: Left Leg Lunge
C-2: Right Leg Lunge

Day Three
A-1: Bench/Pin Press
A-2: Bent Row
B-1: Lat Pulldown
B-2: DB Front Raise
C-1: Reverse Pushdown
C-2: DB Concentration Curls

All the best with your training Phil.

Neil… Looks great and yes EDT can be brutal. LOL Gotta love it I sweat doing this like none other.

I do have a question. Why only 1 leg day and two uppers. Just a question. Let us know how it goes.

For me today was DL day and I got my 10x4 without a real prob did have to pull out the straps for the last few reps as my grip was failing but the legs and Hams were willing. LOL

Also made good progress on the step up PR zone and leg curl, wood choppers.

Only one day left, Bench day, to see if I can continue the prgress I have so far for week 2. That will be sunday. Tomorrow will be a day of dragging and throwing things with the DC T-Cell

Ltr,
Phill

Nice work Phill. I totally relate to the sweating comments. Man, my shirt was so soaked, I had to peel it off. It must have weighed 3X what it normally does.
Originally, the reason I did legs only one day per week, was because Charles Staley EDT Phase II article suggested that breakdown (Two upper, one lower). I realized after my first leg day that it was a good thing that I only hit the legs one day per week. I would have definitely overtrained them with any more. Even after week three, the following day my legs were sore. Usually your body adapts after a couple of similar workouts, but not this time.

The other surprise was that even though I only hit legs once per week, I made better progress on them then my upper body. My leg measured about 23.75, now it’s just over 24.5.
I haven’t tested my strength levels yet, but it was certainly and good change for my legs. Next I’m moving on to Chad’s Strength Focused Mesocycle, want to work on strength for a while.

Please keep us posted with your results on EDT.

Phill, great thread. Thanks! Somehow I missed it before. I’ve been considering EDT and lots of great info in here.

OK still going good I am now in the final training week before taking a break. I have continued to progress. Not quite as much as hoped but progressed. I feel short last week on the decline bench for 10x4. I got 7 x 4 then the last three got three still an increase of seven reps.

The DL last weel went as planned nailed the 10x4. Grip failed after 6 of the 10 but finished with straps no prob. Also a still ste4ady increase on the two PRzones.

This week nailed the squats 10x4 I had moved up in weight from the first week so that is why no 10 x 4. Also once again Progressed up in weight on the first EDT pr zone and did great the second I progressed. On.

Today was the military day. Got 9x5 and had to push press the last rep of the tenth set so it was really 10x4. Still damn happy with the progress. The first EDT zone I actually tied. This kind of had me disappointed but after the solid progress in the 10x5 I can handle it. The last edt zone was a move up in weight. went well.

Two more training days, Saturday and Monday then will take a week off of this and just do what feels right in the gym for a week and then go at this again. EDT of some form, we’ll see.

Well I wasnt going to [post until I finished the last two days but I am pretty fing stoked after finishing my DL day today, just my horizotal push day left until the plabbed week of lowr volume.

Anyway Nailed the DL’s for 10x5 @ 410 lbs supersetted with the weighted leg raises. I think the next time I go for my PR I will be able to blow that 500 mark no prob at this rate (Last time got 485). I was a little pissed as I had to use straps for every set after the first. I fractured my ring finger 2 datys ago and it just wasnt going to hang in their. But man let me tell you That weight flew up.

Then I had an increase in weight on the step ups and was able to complete the same amount of resp as last week with 10 lbs more load. On a 15 minute OPR zone. Then I barkley squeeked in 1 extra rep with the same loads on the leg curl/ wood choppers.

So I am fklat out busted. But Happy as hell. It should make a nice little warm up for the strong man training I am supposed to do this afternoon with the T-Cell LOL. I think I’ll be taken it a bit easy.

OK thats it lets hope the last day brings much the same.

[quote]Phill said:
Nailed the DL’s for 10x5 @ 410 lbs supersetted with the weighted leg raises.[/quote]

You’re an Animal!

Seriuosly that’s some impressive lifting. Just the DLs on there own are mean, but then [i]supersetted too[/i]?

I just picked up the EDT DVD a little while ago. I haven’t gotten all the way through it yet, but I have a couple ideas of how to use it.

One thought was the same as you were doing earlier, and what CStaley had suggested, where I would do a compound at 10x3 and progress that in weight or volume, and then a couple PR zones of assistance exercises.

But, the thing I really like about EDT is how it is self correcting and gives you a custom workout each time you lift. So my thought is to do a PR zone of the compound movement by itself instead of something prescribed like 10x3. Why not just do as many DLs, for example, I can do in fifteen minutes, and then move on to the traditional PR pairings. I understand you wouldn’t be taking advvantage of the “active recovery” from antagonist training, but it would address the concern of fatiquing your supporting musculature to the point of compromising safety/technique.

Just a thought.

Bino.

Well that is much the way I did the first time on this thread. I loved it as well. I did three PR zones instead of the 10x3 and 2 PR zones. I was doing say Squats and an ab movement for a 15 minute PR. I hear what you are saying though just figure might as well throw in the antagonist as well. if not on the pushing and pulling you will have to add days or something.

Really when I boil it down now after having gone through both I think they are both worth a try and both will leave yme trashed after three hard weeks. After that I take a week, not an off week but just a week to train well however the hell I want whatever feels right. This lets me recover for another round.

I think I am going to do sort of the same as the one I just completed only I am thinking about upping the reps a bit and dropping the load a bit on the upper body stuff. for the 10 x 3 maybe in the 6-8 rep range. Then the lower body I love the 10 x 3 and respond well to it.

Anyway just a lot of blabbing to say hell yes give it a try. I would suggest the pairing in the big compound movements but I loved them as a PR zone and will do it again.

Ltr,
Phill

[quote]bino wrote:
Phill said:
Nailed the DL’s for 10x5 @ 410 lbs supersetted with the weighted leg raises.

You’re an Animal!

Seriuosly that’s some impressive lifting. Just the DLs on there own are mean, but then [i]supersetted too[/i]?

I just picked up the EDT DVD a little while ago. I haven’t gotten all the way through it yet, but I have a couple ideas of how to use it.

One thought was the same as you were doing earlier, and what CStaley had suggested, where I would do a compound at 10x3 and progress that in weight or volume, and then a couple PR zones of assistance exercises.

But, the thing I really like about EDT is how it is self correcting and gives you a custom workout each time you lift. So my thought is to do a PR zone of the compound movement by itself instead of something prescribed like 10x3. Why not just do as many DLs, for example, I can do in fifteen minutes, and then move on to the traditional PR pairings.

I understand you wouldn’t be taking advvantage of the “active recovery” from antagonist training, but it would address the concern of fatiquing your supporting musculature to the point of compromising safety/technique.

Just a thought.[/quote]
I as well do 1 set of 8x3 or 10x3 then 1 20 min PR zone. Today I am doing DL with a PR zone of Pull Ups and Push Press then the next time I do 2 PR zones of Inc Bench with RDL then Hack Squats with Seated Rows.

So on the next workout I do the other so back and forth. I have done EDT a number of different ways over the last 15 months and they all have worked. Just experiment

OK last update for a bit. I just finished my last training day of the third training week which actually takes 24 days .

Anyway decided to do the unusual and probably smart thing and drop my ego at the door. I failed to get the last three sets of 10x4 last week on the decline bench I did 7x4 and 3x3. So I went for the same again 10x4 @ 270lbs. I was able to nail them all no prob this time along with the super setted sup. grip low pulley rows. So I was happy about that.

Then was able to get 6 more reps on the incline db presses / Bent Rows. 15 min PR zone. and SMOKED the reverse fly/push down ten minute finisher.

Now for a week of just having fun probably do some full body stuff who the hell knows. Have some ideasd for my next round or this EDT. See ya in a bit.

Phill

hey Phill,

too demanding? what do you think. all following the edt priciples, and going for 3 pr’s 1st and 2nd one is 15min, and third is 10.
monday= chest and back
tuesday=bi’s and tri’s
wed= quads and hams
thursday=off, forearm and calf work
friday= repeat as above for three weeks then taking a active recovery week.
thanks

Tuesday IMO is NOT do able/ I cant see doing 40 minutes of PRs for just my arms. 1 PR zone for those BP are emoghu IMO.

Other than thats it good. You may consider that as a light day between two big days with just 1 PR zone.

Just was looking at this and revisiting fond memories, yet brutal, and linked it for a newbie.

I may just have to do a bit of this right now for a change of place on my squat days to up my work capacity a bit allow some fat loss while keeping newly gained muscle as well as adding a bit.

Have to again thanks Charles for the great programs and coaching advice as well as just being an UBER cool guy. Oh and cant forget Jules, a ture sweetheart that can be tough if she needs be, and the rest of team Staley.

Phill

any good articles for EDT i have no idea what it is, thanks.

[quote]Charged wrote:
any good articles for EDT i have no idea what it is, thanks.[/quote]

Look under Charles Staley in the authors section there may be more (at least one for sure), but his other articles will also give you a more thorough understanding of his training philosophy.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=632710