My Eating Plan

[quote]brian12 wrote:

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

[quote]brian12 wrote:
Does Marting give some calorie guidelines for fat loss/ re composition Versus Lean muscle gain (Bulking on IF)?

I just wonder is he would suggest even higher calories when bulking on IF versus bulking on a standard diet?

Thanks[/quote]

I think if i remember right he gives a very vague summary of kcals for bulking vs lean gains but he says its dependant on the individual and stops short of giving exact amounts etc…

As far as differences between standard 5-6 meals a day and IT - No, the kcals would remain the same, only change would be the timing of meals.

Cant remember if you mentioned it but how much do you weigh and how active are you? ie. work as a builder vs an office

Best thing to do is work out your BMR and then aim to consume roughly 500 surplus kcals a day. For me for instance my BMR is about 3000 kcals a day so on a bulk i aim for 3500kcals and adjust accordingly. [/quote]

Im about 198 lbs @ 16.4% BF and 6ft. But I was originally very skinny with same BF. Today I only managed to eat 2600 calories… And boy did I stuff myself… I was a bit hungry from 10 am until 12am, but it wasn’t a bad feeling - quite motivating actually, and nice to eat big at night.

How do you get your needed protein? Very hard to eat 280 grams worth of protein in solid form. So Today I had 150 grams chicken, 3 whole eggs and one white, 200 grams lean beef. And carbs were oatmeal, beans an banana’s… And loads of veggies, and almonds etc. I added in a protein shake with each meal and post gym ( 4 shakes, total… but it was the only way I could reach my protein goal). Meat is sooo expensive here in Korea, where I’m living at the moment. But whey protein is dirt cheap here. DO you think it’s okay to add in a shake with each meal to boost each meal up to around 70/80 grams protein?

I train 5 days a week - single split. SO one body part a day. I train heavy and hard with no breaks for about 45 minutes, then jump on the treadmill for about 15 mins. The treadmill training is a new addition. My job, teaching, has me on my feet most of the time, and I also walk to school… but not overly active… It might be in my best interest to drop the calories around the 2600 mark (which made me full today), drop the BF down to say 11/12% and then look at increasing the calories for a clean bulk…?[/quote]

As far as hitting your protein quota for the day, if you really find it difficult to eat enough then yeah, there’s nothing wrong with adding some shakes here and there. The main reason martin advises against it is protein shakes arent as satiating as solid food, but if you find that you’re not hungry then no worries.

As far as protein sources, cottage cheese is a big one for me, i eat about 200gr at a time and even mix in a scoop of whey with it for good measure. The result is an extremely low fat, very satisfying and high protein snack. Not sure of exact values but think it works out at about 50gr protein just from that, and for minimal calories.

Also, i eat on average 1 whole chicken a day, not sure of prices over there but it costs me �£4-5 and for solid protein, you wont get cheaper than that really. That alone accounts for 100gr protein a day. i normally have one large protein shake a day consisting of 40-50gr protein. And then the rest comes from cottage cheese, little bit from oatmeal and peanut butter and some from yogourt and then i usually have about 3-4 eggs a day too which adds another 30 odd gr. Put all that together and i get a decent total for minimal kcals.

Is fish expensive there? i was just thinking with it being an island i’d assume that it wouldnt be too expensive but i know it doesnt always work out like that. If it isnt maybe think about adding some white fish to your diet on a regular basis. tends to be very low fat and has a full compliment of aminos.

And for the last point, yeah, i’d say cut down to about 10% then start a lean gain phase. thats just IMO though.

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

[quote]brian12 wrote:

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

[quote]brian12 wrote:
Does Marting give some calorie guidelines for fat loss/ re composition Versus Lean muscle gain (Bulking on IF)?

I just wonder is he would suggest even higher calories when bulking on IF versus bulking on a standard diet?

Thanks[/quote]

I think if i remember right he gives a very vague summary of kcals for bulking vs lean gains but he says its dependant on the individual and stops short of giving exact amounts etc…

As far as differences between standard 5-6 meals a day and IT - No, the kcals would remain the same, only change would be the timing of meals.

Cant remember if you mentioned it but how much do you weigh and how active are you? ie. work as a builder vs an office

Best thing to do is work out your BMR and then aim to consume roughly 500 surplus kcals a day. For me for instance my BMR is about 3000 kcals a day so on a bulk i aim for 3500kcals and adjust accordingly. [/quote]

Im about 198 lbs @ 16.4% BF and 6ft. But I was originally very skinny with same BF. Today I only managed to eat 2600 calories… And boy did I stuff myself… I was a bit hungry from 10 am until 12am, but it wasn’t a bad feeling - quite motivating actually, and nice to eat big at night.

How do you get your needed protein? Very hard to eat 280 grams worth of protein in solid form. So Today I had 150 grams chicken, 3 whole eggs and one white, 200 grams lean beef. And carbs were oatmeal, beans an banana’s… And loads of veggies, and almonds etc. I added in a protein shake with each meal and post gym ( 4 shakes, total… but it was the only way I could reach my protein goal). Meat is sooo expensive here in Korea, where I’m living at the moment. But whey protein is dirt cheap here. DO you think it’s okay to add in a shake with each meal to boost each meal up to around 70/80 grams protein?

I train 5 days a week - single split. SO one body part a day. I train heavy and hard with no breaks for about 45 minutes, then jump on the treadmill for about 15 mins. The treadmill training is a new addition. My job, teaching, has me on my feet most of the time, and I also walk to school… but not overly active… It might be in my best interest to drop the calories around the 2600 mark (which made me full today), drop the BF down to say 11/12% and then look at increasing the calories for a clean bulk…?[/quote]

As far as hitting your protein quota for the day, if you really find it difficult to eat enough then yeah, there’s nothing wrong with adding some shakes here and there. The main reason martin advises against it is protein shakes arent as satiating as solid food, but if you find that you’re not hungry then no worries.

As far as protein sources, cottage cheese is a big one for me, i eat about 200gr at a time and even mix in a scoop of whey with it for good measure. The result is an extremely low fat, very satisfying and high protein snack. Not sure of exact values but think it works out at about 50gr protein just from that, and for minimal calories.

Also, i eat on average 1 whole chicken a day, not sure of prices over there but it costs me �?�£4-5 and for solid protein, you wont get cheaper than that really. That alone accounts for 100gr protein a day. i normally have one large protein shake a day consisting of 40-50gr protein. And then the rest comes from cottage cheese, little bit from oatmeal and peanut butter and some from yogourt and then i usually have about 3-4 eggs a day too which adds another 30 odd gr. Put all that together and i get a decent total for minimal kcals.

Is fish expensive there? i was just thinking with it being an island i’d assume that it wouldnt be too expensive but i know it doesnt always work out like that. If it isnt maybe think about adding some white fish to your diet on a regular basis. tends to be very low fat and has a full compliment of aminos.

And for the last point, yeah, i’d say cut down to about 10% then start a lean gain phase. thats just IMO though. [/quote]

Fish is cheap here, but the fish they eat here is not thick and fleshy, it’s thin and bony, so in terms of protein source it’s not ideal (costly per gram actual protein). They also seem to prefer their catfish, live eels, and live octopus… not quite for me! haha. But tinned tuna is cheap and I do eat a lot of that. I think I will up my chicken intake, I just ordered 13kgs of chicken breasts from a friend who has a restaurant here… At 1/4 the normal supermarket price, so that is going to be my main solid protein source from now on!

Ahhh. I miss cottage cheese! You cant buy it in Korea. They don’t really make real cheeses - and I cant find a cheap import either. Eggs are very cheap here - so i have a lot of them. But one medium egg only has around 6 grams of protein… So I need to eat around 5 eggs and add in a protein shake to give a good protein load for a meal while on leangains (that’s a lot of egg yokes… cholesterol?)

So you seem to be eating very low carb? I’m adding in a decent complex carb to each of my 3 meals (oats for two meals and beans for one) and 2 banana’s post workout. That’s not too many carbs for leangains?

Sorry for loads of questions - but it’s nice to hear some opinions! ^^

good work on the chicken order - i’m sure it wont go to waste

With the eggs, i’d maybe eat 3 with yolkes and 3 without to make a total of 40gr protien roughly - as for the cholesterol, dont worry, its about the most misunderstood thing on the planet. Egg yokes actually raise both good and bad cholesterol, and the good news it raises the good stuff more than the bad, so eat away. The ONLY reason i remove yokes is due to calories, and nothing to do with cholesterol. If i didnt care about calories i’d eat all my eggs whole. There’s actually a shit load of vitamins in yoke so it seems a shame to chuck em but when on a diet i guess you have to make concessions.

My carb intake isnt low at all, average day i’ll eat about 80-100gr oatmeal with mixed berries, a cup or so of cookes basmati rice, 5 rice cakes and then of course there’s carbs in cottage cheese, yogourt, fruit and veggies. On some days i sub the rice for sweet potatoes or lentils and i’m actually trying to add more quinoa to my diet at the moment to add some variety.

On average i’m probably doing about 150-200 gr a day. On non training days i do try and limit it a bit more to about 100gr but still no way near what i’d judge to be low.

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

With the eggs, i’d maybe eat 3 with yolkes and 3 without to make a total of 40gr protien roughly - as for the cholesterol, dont worry, its about the most misunderstood thing on the planet. Egg yokes actually raise both good and bad cholesterol, and the good news it raises the good stuff more than the bad, so eat away. The ONLY reason i remove yokes is due to calories, and nothing to do with cholesterol. If i didnt care about calories i’d eat all my eggs whole. There’s actually a shit load of vitamins in yoke so it seems a shame to chuck em but when on a diet i guess you have to make concessions.

My carb intake isnt low at all, average day i’ll eat about 80-100gr oatmeal with mixed berries, a cup or so of cookes basmati rice, 5 rice cakes and then of course there’s carbs in cottage cheese, yogourt, fruit and veggies. On some days i sub the rice for sweet potatoes or lentils and i’m actually trying to add more quinoa to my diet at the moment to add some variety.

On average i’m probably doing about 150-200 gr a day. On non training days i do try and limit it a bit more to about 100gr but still no way near what i’d judge to be low. [/quote]

I have always read conflicting views on egg yokes… But I think I will allow myself to have 4 whole eggs and one or two white. I think on an IF diet (with the long detox period), the body will deal with bad fats far more effectively anyway.

I’m also eating about the same carb amount - 100 grams oats total for the day, some beans (I’ll switch that up with brown rice or sweet potato from time to time) and then 2 banana’s and veggies.

[quote]brian12 wrote:

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

On average i’m probably doing about 150-200 gr a day. On non training days i do try and limit it a bit more to about 100gr but still no way near what i’d judge to be low. [/quote]

I have always read conflicting views on egg yokes… But I think I will allow myself to have 4 whole eggs and one or two white. I think on an IF diet (with the long detox period), the body will deal with bad fats far more effectively anyway.

I’m also eating about the same carb amount - 100 grams oats total for the day, some beans (I’ll switch that up with brown rice or sweet potato from time to time) and then 2 banana’s and veggies.

[/quote]

I’d strongly recommend a book called “150 healthiest foods on earth” by jonny bowden if your interested in nutrition as a whole.

Its not sports specific but in terms of really understanding what healthy food is, and understanding where all the misconceptions about certain foods have come about its unbeatable. Its also written in such a way that if you just want to skim and get the main points you can, but if you want to really get an in depth understanding of specific nutrients contained in certain foods you can do that too.

Anyone I speak to who’s interested in nutrition i instantly recommend this book, i cant sing its praises enough.

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

[quote]brian12 wrote:

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

[/quote]

I’d strongly recommend a book called “150 healthiest foods on earth” by jonny bowden if your interested in nutrition as a whole.

Its not sports specific but in terms of really understanding what healthy food is, and understanding where all the misconceptions about certain foods have come about its unbeatable. Its also written in such a way that if you just want to skim and get the main points you can, but if you want to really get an in depth understanding of specific nutrients contained in certain foods you can do that too.

Anyone I speak to who’s interested in nutrition i instantly recommend this book, i cant sing its praises enough.
[/quote]

It looks good - im buying it on amazon now. haha. Thanks for suggesting it.

[quote]brian12 wrote:

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

[quote]brian12 wrote:

[quote]dre1986 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

It looks good - im buying it on amazon now. haha. Thanks for suggesting it.[/quote]

HAHA good work - you wont be disappointed, trust me! And for the £10 odd its a snip, I’m looking at getting the recipe book next, he’s got one for 15 minute meals which looks really useful and i’m sure you could make slight adjusments to make it more sports specific.