T Nation

My DL PR Vid

Today I competed in the National Tactical Strength Challenge held in Marlboro, NJ. It was a great day of competition. The 3 events were the Deadlift, Pull-up (touching the neck), and the 1 Arm Kettlebell Snatch(Max Reps in 5 minutes). I hit a PR in all three events. I weighed in at 174. I Deadlifted 467.5, did 18 Pull-ups and
I did 132 1 arm snatches with a 24kg Kettlebell. BTW I am 1 week out from a natural BB show.

Here is the video of me pulling 467.5.

http://media.putfile.com/MVI_0421

Nice! Good job :slight_smile:

Great job man! 132 one arm snatches? Your arm probably felt like it wanted to fall off!

The movement in the snatch is more from the hips so you really feel it in the legs and ass. Plus you get to switch hands throughout the 5 minutes. Oh yeah and your hand gets shredded too.

Here is what happens when you do 132 kettlebell snatches in 5 minutes with a 24kg KB.

Hi Mike,

Congratulations, nice video! We weigh about the same, but I’m guessing you have more muscle than I do :slight_smile: I can’t deadlift that much!

Anyway, I’ve only recently been doing DLs, and I’m trying to improve technique. For some reason, I’ve done lots of stiff-legged DLs in the past, but not the normal kind, so I find my lower back tries to do all the work. When seeing your vid, it seemed to me that your legs did most of the first part of the lift, while your back did all the rest. I would have thought the legs and back should work together till the very end (where the back takes over).

Any comments?

(I really wish somebody at my gym would deadlift…)

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Hi Mike,

Anyway, I’ve only recently been doing DLs, and I’m trying to improve technique. For some reason, I’ve done lots of stiff-legged DLs in the past, but not the normal kind, so I find my lower back tries to do all the work. When seeing your vid, it seemed to me that your legs did most of the first part of the lift, while your back did all the rest. I would have thought the legs and back should work together till the very end (where the back takes over).

Any comments?

(I really wish somebody at my gym would deadlift…)[/quote]

I feel most of the work in my legs when doing pulls. Your back is definitely involved in the lift, their is no way it cannot be.

When you position yourself for the lift see if your shoulders are behind the bar or over the bar. They should be behind the bar at the start and from their you want to continue to pull the weight back and not just up. Your shoulders should move backward thru the movement.

Also make sure your heels are digging into the ground. If you are putting wait into your toes while performing the lift you will feel it in your back. See if you can tell where you are putting the pressure in your foot. It should be in the heels throughout the movement. Hope this helps

Thats a nice pull.

[quote]mike hanley wrote:
I feel most of the work in my legs when doing pulls. Your back is definitely involved in the lift, their is no way it cannot be.

When you position yourself for the lift see if your shoulders are behind the bar or over the bar. They should be behind the bar at the start and from their you want to continue to pull the weight back and not just up. Your shoulders should move backward thru the movement.

Also make sure your heels are digging into the ground. If you are putting wait into your toes while performing the lift you will feel it in your back. See if you can tell where you are putting the pressure in your foot. It should be in the heels throughout the movement. Hope this helps[/quote]

Thanks for the tips, Mike. I definitely push through my heels, same as with squats, I’m very careful about that. However, I’m not sure about the shoulders, so I’ll take a look at that tomorrow (it’s leg day!).

Good luck with your BB contest. Be sure to post pics :slight_smile:

Strong lift!

Well, you’re almost as strong as DieselWeasel now.

Do you have videos of the pullups and snatches by any chance?

Mike,
How did you train for this? Did your BB training interfere? It seems your lats and erectors would be pretty fried if you trained all these events the same day. Thanks.

[quote]W.F.Call78 wrote:
Mike,
How did you train for this? Did your BB training interfere? It seems your lats and erectors would be pretty fried if you trained all these events the same day. Thanks.
[/quote]

I train heavy up until my shows. I feel on a hypocaloric diet with little glycogen in my system it is best to train heavy with low reps as to jcut maintain muscle. The pullups actually gave me a great pump yesterday however I did not train for this event specifically. I really just train for the deadlift and I used my 5 minute snatch test practices as cardio work. I only tested myself every other week in the snatch test and used it as cardio.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Well, you’re almost as strong as DieselWeasel now.

Do you have videos of the pullups and snatches by any chance? [/quote]

My camera can take videos but it takes up too much space so I just have the video of the deadlift. I do have some shots of the snatches though.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1127089005050.IMG_04101.JPG

Here is a pic of the snatch test

Mike,

Nice lift! I love the attitude at the end. It was sort of like “Yeah, I lifted that, bitches!!!”

[quote]Massif wrote:
Mike,

Nice lift! I love the attitude at the end. It was sort of like “Yeah, I lifted that, bitches!!!”[/quote]

Thanks, I was feeling like that. I was fired up all day from it.

Great job!

Wear shorts next time. It’s easier.

beef

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Great job!

Wear shorts next time. It’s easier.

beef[/quote]

How so?

After 2 days of attempts I finally got the vid to work.

I have to say I’m totally impressed… you look much taller than your avatar.

Oh, about the lift, if I may make a comment on your form… Your face looks very angry during the pull. Try smiling.

Great job man!