My Diet

[quote]rsg wrote:
Where does JB’s nutritent timing come into place with all of this?

Why even talk about nutrient timing if what you’re saying is it doesn’t matter? JG wouldn’t waste time with this if it didn’t matter. Did you read the previous post about absorption of fats & carbs?

I’m also speaking from experience, considering I’ve lost over 35lbs since I started making wiser food choices and timing them properly.[/quote]

Since JB wrote it it must me right…

No scientific explanations, no evidence…

Whatever man, thanks for playing.

Fahd

Joker

I know you’ve gotten a lot of advice already, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents on a few issues that no one seemed to bring up.

First. How many cals are you eating…roughly? This doesn’t look like a diet that can support any muscle gain.

You need to eat something first thing in the morning. Protein and some carbs. Right now you’re going from 1am to 1pm without nutrients in your system, and you expect it to preform for your workout…this isn’t a good idea.

More protein again after your workout. Right now you’re looking at about 25g, with about 40g carbs. I would suggest almost doubling those numbers. This is a highly anabolic time frame. (Keep those carbs simple at this meal).

I would also suggest a small meal somewhere in that area before your dinner too. Your body is still in a highly anabolic state for a couple hours after your workout. Take advantage of it.

Before and after your football are again very important times to get your protein in. It looks to me like your demanding alot of hard work and long hours from your body without keeping your nutrient levels consistant.

I think a multi vitamin would do you a lot of good too.

Fahd,

I am certainly not saying you are absolutely wrong. Certainly I am no nutritional scientist and pretty much all of my knowledge comes from here and two other books I’ve read (“Power Eating by Kleiner” and “Advanced Sports Nutrition” by Human Kinetics), along with personal observation.

I can tell you that by trying to avoid eating F+C meals (basically meals without any protein), my body composition has definitly improved. I can’t say for sure this is why because the same time I did that (trying to follow the “Massive Eating” plan), I also started making better food choices. So that might not neccessarily be the case. Nevertheless, it has lead me to believe there might be at least SOME validity to the nutrient timing issue.

I also try to think about common sense. What did our mommies warn us not to eat too much of?

Candy
Cake
Pizza
Cookies
Soda
Chips
etc, etc.

Most “junk food” is a shitload of saturated/trans fat with tons of sugar and little to no protein. Say someone was to remove an equal amount of carbs and fat from their earlier P+F and P+C maeals and replace it with a candy bar eaten by itself a couple hours later. Would that be the same? I’m inclined to think not, but again, I can’t really say for sure- it just seems intuitive.

Also, why is oatmeal better for you than white bread? They both contain similar amounts of carbs, but oatmeal triggers a much lower insulin response. I don’t think you can reasonably argue that white bread and oatmeal are the nutrional equivalent. How do you explain their differences?

Again, I’m definitly not claiming to know it all. In fact, I posed a lot more questions than I have answers. I’m just a guy who doesn’t know a whole lot looking to learn more.

Everyone knows the health impact of 1000 cal of table sugar and 1000 cal of carrots is different (duh!).

The whole a calorie is a calorie debate is strictly about body composition; in other words, whether certain food make you fat or caloric surplus makes you fat.

There is no evidence to prove that one can’t get ripped on table sugar, or one can get ripped eating all the healthy food choices (and combining them in a magical way) while eating at a caloric surplus, provided they consume enough EFA and protein.

Lyle Mcdonald and John Berardi are both right.

Berardi uses this example:

If person A consumes nothing but sugar all day and person B consumes some protein and EFA. Obviously a calorie is not a calorie here.

BUT, under normal circumstances (most bodybuilders now take enough protein, calories and fish oil), getting the rest from chicken or 7-up makes no difference body composition wise based on scientific data. And a calorie is a calorie.

Conclusion: Make healthy food choices, eat enough calories, protein and EFA. There is no scientific evidence that not mixing carbs and fat makes any difference (read the John Berardi quote above).

Fhad

Then why all the mental masturbation?

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Then why all the mental masturbation?[/quote]

Good contribution to a conversation. Anymore interesting thoughts, you mental giant?

I appreciate the advice. :slight_smile: There’s just a lot to read up on and what not… I have to learn all about whats in everything AND when to eat what. I’m tryin’. lol

Appreciate the advice though, thank you.

[quote]GathCity wrote:
Joker

I know you’ve gotten a lot of advice already, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents on a few issues that no one seemed to bring up.

First. How many cals are you eating…roughly? This doesn’t look like a diet that can support any muscle gain.

You need to eat something first thing in the morning. Protein and some carbs. Right now you’re going from 1am to 1pm without nutrients in your system, and you expect it to preform for your workout…this isn’t a good idea.

More protein again after your workout. Right now you’re looking at about 25g, with about 40g carbs. I would suggest almost doubling those numbers. This is a highly anabolic time frame. (Keep those carbs simple at this meal).

I would also suggest a small meal somewhere in that area before your dinner too. Your body is still in a highly anabolic state for a couple hours after your workout. Take advantage of it.

Before and after your football are again very important times to get your protein in. It looks to me like your demanding alot of hard work and long hours from your body without keeping your nutrient levels consistant.

I think a multi vitamin would do you a lot of good too.
[/quote]

Fahd,

I feel ya now, I was misunderstanding your argument a little to begin with. I think for me the real power of trying to follow the massive eating plan with P+F and P+C meals is that it forces you to cut out the shit food and replace it with better (namely protein-filled) food, ie, instead of a pizza, pound down a few chicken sandwiches or to have a breakfast ham and some eggs instead of cereal. I guess the structure gives me some guidance.

[quote]Fahd wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
Then why all the mental masturbation?

Good contribution to a conversation. Anymore interesting thoughts, you mental giant?[/quote]

And your contrbution has been more impressive?That post seemed on par with the majority of yours.

I guess you just like to impress us by vomitting this crap where ever you see an opportunity. Maybe it makes you feel like an authority on the topic.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:

I guess you just like to impress us by vomitting this crap where ever you see an opportunity.

[/quote]

While I’m all for scientific debates and discussions, insecure kids like you will always turn a thread into a piss match.

You are an idiot and your recent e-stalking of me proves it.

I challenge you to a debate on this subject but my guess is that you will take another pathetic shot at me.

Now go get a donut.

Fahd