T Nation

My Diet

I need some serious help with my diet... It's awful. I don't eat enough meals in the day and when I do eat I over eat and it's not always the best food choices.

My biggest problem is that i'm a picky eater, I don't like nuts or grains as such... I told my Wife to pick up some Oatmeal next time she goes to the store and i'm going to start eating that when I first wake up. Is that a good idea?

I generally know what foods are "good" and which are "bad," but other than that I don't know what to eat when...

Any advice would be great advice. Thanks, all.

Here's a days routine for me (including diet):
- Wake up at 10am.
- Take a Spike at 1030am.
- Drink half-liter of water (or there abouts).
- Gym at 1130am-1230pm, drinking a liter of water there.
- Tuna Sandwhich at 1pm (with 2 flax seed oil pills).
- Work from 2pm-11pm.
- Dinner at 630pm (with 2 flax seed oil pills).
--- Dinner consists of (sorry for rough estimates):
--- Fistful of meat (usually beef or chicken).
--- 2-3 large potatoes soaked in butter and salt or a fistful of yellow/spanish/brown rice.
--- A fistful of vegetables (brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, etc...)
- Football from 11pm-12am.
- Roasted Garlic Triscuits, sharp cheedar cheese and milk at 1am (with 2 flax seed oil pills).
- ZMA at 200am.
- Bed at 3am.

I drink water all day long and sometimes I cheat and have a Sprite, but not usually.

What are you goals? Fat loss or bulking up?

Oatmeal/Fruit/Protein powder/milk/eggs is the best breakfast you can have IMO no matter what your goals are. You aren't eating enough regardless. I don't see anything post workout?

You're diet should be something like this.

Meal 1: P+C
Meal 2: P+C (Post Workout)
Meal 3: P+C (1 - 1? hours after w/out)
Meal 4: P+F + 150g veg
Meal 5: P+F + 150g veg
Meal 6: P+F + 150g veg

This is because you training is in the morning. Meal 2 & 3 will always follow your workout no matter what time you train, and have a carb meal every morning as well. Eat vegetables with each P+F meal, and where ever else possible.

DON'T mix too many carbs with fats & vice versa - it just doesn't work. I've been bulking up the past month (Today is exactly a month), and when sticking to these principles closely I was very slow to put on weight even eating 1000cal over maintenance. Being a fat boy all my life, I've always put on weight no problem.

This should help somewhat. Need more info from your side.

Sorry for not being specific enough, but here goes. :slightly_smiling:

My goal is to lean out (fat loss) and then gradually put on muscle. I'm not so concerned with putting on a lot of muscle that I need to bulk. So right now I guess i'd be cutting for another 10-15lbs.

My problem is that when I do eat I eat until i'm stuffed and I know it's not exactly what I SHOULD be eating...

And no, I haven't been eating anything post workout. I didn't really know I should be until this past week when i've been really reading here on T-Nation.

Quick Question:
P - Protein
C - Carbs
F - Fat
Is this correct?

Wow... This may sound ridiculous to ya'll, but how in the heck do I tell what has what in it? I know on most stuff I can check the nutrition labels, but what abouts fruits and vegetables? Is there a reference website somewhere?

If there is I can give it a try. Thanks again. :slightly_smiling:

Yes, that's right.

Just google the contents of food for calories/carbs & so on and you'll find all you need. All foods should have their contents on the labels.

Ok - Post workout I'd recommend something like Biotest Surge if you can, but otherwise get some chocolate milk and a protein powder. Make sure you are taking salmon oil in some form - about 5g/day. This will help with fat loss and keep your joints feeling good when lifting.

You need lots of sleep, about 9 hours a day if possible.

Eating more smaller meals, more often speeds up the metabolism. Try make your biggest meal in the morning working your way down to the smallest in the evening. This was one of the last changes I made to my diet and after this I started losing fat a LOT faster. Food choices are also very important, avoid carbs like pasta and breads, but rather try whole grain breads and brown rice.

I tried many variations of diets and have been afraid of carbs since Dr. Atkins' diet. But since I tried eating the way mentioned above I've been able to do anything I wanted with my body comp, provided I stuck to it. Read Dr. John Berardi's articles, he is the god of nutrition IMO, and his info has helped me immensely. Try his 7 principles for fat loss - it's like a bible.

As far as training goes, try either Lactic Acid Training or Tabata Training. These are my recommendations but there are plenty of programs on this site that are good, but I haven't tried them yet.

Check out Vroom's begginers thread, just do a search for it on this site - any info you need will be there and make sure you read most of those articles cause they will help so much.

Thats bullocks, can you give a scientific explanation why it doesn't work?

I believe in mixing a small amount of good fats,but I don't think it's wise to eat 15 grams of fat with 50 grams of carbs though.Consider this bit of biochemistry. Malonyl -CoA exists in high amounts when there is plenty of metabolic fuel present. Thus, carnitine acyltransferase is inhibited and
this in turn prevents acyl-CoA from crossing into the cell?s mitochondria. Another enzyme is inhibited by the presence of NADH and Thiolase is also inhibited by the presence of Acetyl-COA. In short, when a lot of glucose is present, fatty acid metabolism is inhibited.

It is the last sentence that clues us in here. Basically, a cell will not convert fats into energy if there is glucose present. When the cell has carbs and sugar to work on, it will not convert the fat to energy, thus the fat gets stored.

This is why the low carb diets work, with little to zero carbohydrates and
subsequently glucose to work on, the fat will be used for energy. This is exactly why the high carb diet works too. When no or little fat is present, it won't be stored as fat.

I can't give a scientific explanation, but I know this is true for me.

Likewise, I can't give scientific explanations for why training makes me bigger and stronger or why the right steroids work, but they do.

Nice explanation there - I actually never knew the science behind this but being a FFB I've experienced it first hand. Thanks.

No problem bro'.No matter what anyone says,find out what works for YOU.

Go open a free account at www.fitday.com from there you can track your food's nutritional content and cals. You can even input and track custom foods.

Tell me this: does certain food make you fat or caloric surplus make you fat provided there is enough protein and EFA consumed? In other words, does it matter if your food comes from chocolate or protein shakes provided enough portein and EFA and adequate caloric intake?

rsg, I'm currently doing what your laid out because I'm off school for a while

This:

Meal 1: P+C
Meal 2: P+C (Post Workout)
Meal 3: P+C (1 - 1? hours after w/out)
Meal 4: P+F + 150g veg
Meal 5: P+F + 150g veg
Meal 6: P+F + 150g veg

My question is what do you usually ahve as your last meal with those veggies. I can't seem to find anything to add to this.

P+F
-FF Cottage Cheese 28/8/0
-1 TBSP Natural PB 4/3/8
-2 TBSP Flax 3/4/4.5
-3 Fish Oils 0/0/3

I am certainly no scientist and I will honestly say that I have not been training long enough to really know a whole lot. However, I'll hazard a guess to say that while certain foods do not inherently make you fat, certain combinations of macronutrients can lead you to store body fat. All foods trigger an insulin release in your body and carbohydrates, especially high-GI carbs trigger more of a release. Insulin is a hormone responsible for growth, so then when it is released into your body there is a potential for growth. If you don't have adequate protein in your body, then fatty tissue will probably be built. Also, if you haven't been weight training, you won't have any muscle tissue in need of repair no matter how much protein you've eaten. Thus, fatty tissue will probably be built. At least I believe that is the theory behind it.

From personal experience, I'm a naturally lean guy who handles carbs pretty well, but it is a double-edged sword because I also have a ridicilous appetite for a guy my size (190#). It is nothing for me to eat 2 large pizzas at one sitting. Therefore, I pretty much don't worry so much about P+F or P+C, I just make sure I'm downing tons of protein. So instead of two large pizzas I'll have 4 or 5 chicken sandwiches. That works for me, some people don't handle carbs so well so if they are lookign to reduce body fat they probably have to cut that down.

That's just my .02

Food takes a LONG time to digest. Hence, people who don't mix C and F are always doing so unknowingly.

JB himself agreeded that a calorie is a calorie under the circumstances I mentioned (adequate protein, EFA, caloric intake) and that his food combining is more based on his persnonal experience then scientific proof.

I am willing to provide evidence and link if you wish to discuss it further.

El_Animal, What you have as you last meal looks fine, maybe throw in a scoop of Low-Carb Grow!! if can as a bit of extra protein. You could eat your usual green veggies with that meal or maybe a half a cup of beans but it's not absolutely necessary.

I know beans have carbs but I remember JB saying they hardly raise insulin levels so it should be fine.

What you're saying fahd is that I'm mixing my food all day and should just eat anything anytime because of slow digestion?

So maybe I'll have a post workout shake 2 hours before gym because it take a long time to digest?

Different foods take longer/shorter to digest. Eating simple carbs will take shorter to digest than eating complex carbs for example, so it really does matter when you eat what.

Yes. If your goal is only body composition. Types of food does not make you fat, eating too much does. In other words, if you eat enough protein, EFA and the right amount of total calories, you can get ripped on a coca cola diet. Obviously it is not healthy, but thats besides the point of this discussion, which is body composition.

Fat consumption slows down gastric emptying which MAY lower the insulin response to a meal.

Your stomach is never empty during the day; in other words, it won't be empty before you eat your next meal. Fatty meals takes 8 + hours to fully digest. Another 2 hours later, someone takes in a meal with carbs. Now tell me if seaparating C and F makes a difference?

Translation: Massive eating is mostly based on JB's personal experience, not science.

Where does JB's nutritent timing come into place with all of this?

Why even talk about nutrient timing if what you're saying is it doesn't matter? JG wouldn't waste time with this if it didn't matter. Did you read the previous post about absorption of fats & carbs?

I'm also speaking from experience, considering I've lost over 35lbs since I started making wiser food choices and timing them properly.

Fat does lower the insulin response to a meal,but thats really not what He's talking about.If you're trying to lose weight the only insulin spike you'd want would be after lifting weights. If you spike your insulin and there is a lot of fat present,then it will get stored as fat.I have good fats with each of my meals.

But if you think about it it's just another good reason why kids today are overweight. Candy today is filled with nothing but trans fat and suger. I think people should consume some fat to lower the insulin response,but not to excess.

You lost weight because you made better food choices,no doubt.There is also a lot of ingredients in processed foods that can make you gain weight.Look at the sweetener HFCS.Thats why I've seen kids lose weight just by eating clean alone and quiting all the junk food.

[quote]rsg wrote:

Where does JB's nutritent timing come into place with all of this?

Why even talk about nutrient timing if what you're saying is it doesn't matter? JG wouldn't waste time with this if it didn't matter. Did you read the previous post about absorption of fats & carbs?

I'm also speaking from experience, considering I've lost over 35lbs since I started making wiser food choices and timing them properly.[/quote]

You have to cut calories to lose weight.It's simple. I see people say"just cut out the carbs and you'll lose weight",but a month later (when they've lost 6 pounds) they still don't understand why they have that obtrusive belly fat.Each carbohydrate consumed causes your body to hold 2.4 grams of water,every carb you skip will make you a few drops lighter.So all the guy really lost was water weight.

I see people get lean on higher carb diets all the time.It's the quality that matters.I'd tell people to stop eating so much sugar,not carbs.If you cut calories ,and those calories come from carbs,you'll lose a little more than just cutting fat because carbs hold water,fat
doesn't.