T Nation

My Diet

Hows does my diet look. What im going for is gaining mass, but not put on too much fat although, i know i will put on some. Also i find myself even eating on this schedule constantly hungry. Is it okay too add in more meals for the day or shud i just make each meal bigger?

Oatmeal 3/4 cup
Skim Milk 1/2 Cup
Cottage Cheese 1/2 cup
Bannana
24 oz. water

6 Egg whites
2 Slices wheat bread.
1 Scoop Peanut Butter
1 Fruit
24 oz. water

Tuna
Salad (Olive Oil)
1 Mixed Veg.
24 oz. water

Chicken
Patatoe or yam
1 Fruit.
24 oz. water

#5 (post workout)
Surge then Protien shake 1 hour later.

Turkey 25g.
Mixed Nuts 1/4 cup
24 oz. water
Cottage Cheese 1/2 cup 16g

Protien Shake before sleep

Your food choices look pretty decent, but it appears your fat intake is too low. I would add in fish oil (6 g. EPA/DHA) and a tablespoon or two of flax or Udo’s since your saturated fat is very low. Also, are you using natural PB or regular? Natural is recommended…or better yet, walnut or almond butter.

Also, I would ditch most or the carbs in the meal right before your workout and replace them with fat…this would be a great time to have your flax/fish or mixed nuts, and put the carbs into the second post-workout meal.

You may want to add some more veggies in as well and get the fiber intake up. Legumes would be a great choice too.

Other than that, looks pretty good. Just make sure your total cals are slightly over maintenance (use the guidelines in Massive Eating to calculate if you haven’t already) and you’ll get that mass without a ton of fat.

Read MASSIVE EATING by John Berardi for finer points. I don’t know how many g of protein you’re eating, but I’d definitely go for 2x body weight if possible. If not at least 1.5x body weight. Also listen to Monty. He’s a smart guy.

I would like to make a recommendation also. Make your post work-out meal and P+C one! You stated you drink a protein shake an hour afterwards…does that have any carbs in it??? What I find benficial is mixing a scoop of whey into a cup of all bran cereal and have some fat free cottage cheese with that. Skrumptious!!! And I also agree with Monty in that you should make the meal right before you workout a P+F meal…I can almost guarantee that you will feel the difference! Take care…Tony G