My Delt Training

When I was 15 I could military press 110kgs but that seriously fucked up my shoulders and now im 16 and struggling to military press 60kgs

Im getting back into my deltoid training and about every two weeks my military press goes up by 1/2kgs. Is that good or bad?

Any advice on bringing my deltoid strength back up?

The best advice I can give you is not to be in too much of a rush to build back up to your original weight, especially since that resulted in injury.
You might want to think about exactly why you got injured the first time around (was it form, strength imbalance, too much weight?). When you have worked out the cause, you can still make progress safely.
Also, you should figure out what your goals are. If you just want to build muscle, then you may not need to lift so much weight: there certainly plenty of other options out there.

The last thing you want to do is cause yourself a permanent injury.

[quote]roybot wrote:
The best advice I can give you is not to be in too much of a rush to build back up to your original weight, especially since that resulted in injury.
You might want to think about exactly why you got injured the first time around (was it form, strength imbalance, too much weight?). When you have worked out the cause, you can still make progress safely.
Also, you should figure out what your goals are. If you just want to build muscle, then you may not need to lift so much weight: there certainly plenty of other options out there.

The last thing you want to do is cause yourself a permanent injury.
[/quote]

Cheers for the advice

My goal is to get stronger and I think the problem that caused my injury was too much weight and I should take it slow this time

One suggestion is instead of just adding weight every session, do a different progression every session. For example

Week 1: Add two Reps
Week 2: Subtract 30 seconds from time in between sets
Week 3: Minus 2 reps and add 1 set
Week 4: Add two reps
Week 5: Go back to original lifting pattern with an additional 10lb (I think 5kg)

This is just another way to do progressions. For more ideas do a search on titled articles of this nature.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
One suggestion is instead of just adding weight every session, do a different progression every session. For example

Week 1: Add two Reps
Week 2: Subtract 30 seconds from time in between sets
Week 3: Minus 2 reps and add 1 set
Week 4: Add two reps
Week 5: Go back to original lifting pattern with an additional 10lb (I think 5kg)

This is just another way to do progressions. For more ideas do a search on titled articles of this nature.[/quote]

cheers for the routine it looks easy and 10lb is just under 5kgs

I would second not being in a rush to get back to your original weight.

I haven’t had any such injuries yet (god willing I wont for a long time), but Im sure some of the guys know something.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
I would second not being in a rush to get back to your original weight.

I haven’t had any such injuries yet (god willing I wont for a long time), but Im sure some of the guys know something.[/quote]

I am back into my original training apart from I aint lifitng heavy im starting out light first then im building my way back up slowly. Hopefully you dont get injured it brings you down alot in training and cheers for the advice

Military press of 110kg at 15 yrs old is HUGE. How big are you?

[quote]skw wrote:
Military press of 110kg at 15 yrs old is HUGE. How big are you?[/quote]

haha cheers
but i wished i didnt do it and im big enough

A few more questions for you Rogers16: are you using the same routine as you did before your injury?
If so, can you give us an outline of what you have been doing (not just for shoulders, but for other bodyparts as well)?

Can you tell us what sort of rep ranges you are hitting and how often?

You need to develop a balance of strength throughout the body, especially in a movement like military press. Otherwise injuries are bound to happen.

[quote]roybot wrote:
A few more questions for you Rogers16: are you using the same routine as you did before your injury?
If so, can you give us an outline of what you have been doing (not just for shoulders, but for other bodyparts as well)?

Can you tell us what sort of rep ranges you are hitting and how often?

You need to develop a balance of strength throughout the body, especially in a movement like military press. Otherwise injuries are bound to happen. [/quote]

nope, before my injury i just did military press and now im doing DB military press, arnold press and bent over rear delt fly and im starting them light. I done bench, tricep pushdown, cg bench, DB shrugs and bicep curl all that. 6 was my rep range

I see. Do you squat or deadlift at all?

Leave your ego at the door, especially with shoulders.

[quote]roybot wrote:
I see. Do you squat or deadlift at all?[/quote]

yeh i do

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Leave your ego at the door, especially with shoulders.[/quote]

lol kk I will

height weight, u sound like a big mofo

[quote]bignate wrote:
height weight, u sound like a big mofo[/quote]

what?

[quote]Rogers16 wrote:
bignate wrote:
height weight, u sound like a big mofo

what?
[/quote]

ooh i know what you mean now lol

Just wanted to know if your trapezius muscles can increase your military press? because they are used in the movement arent they

[quote]Rogers16 wrote:
Just wanted to know if your trapezius muscles can increase your military press? because they are used in the movement arent they[/quote]

They are to some degree. Then again, most muscles are involved at some point in a heavy military press. If you are doing the exercises mentioned earlier (especially rows and deadlifts), then they shouldn’t be a limiting factor (unless you are prioritizing military press training at the expense of other exercises, of course).

You said that you were only training military press before you got injured. As you were only doing one exercise, I would guess that you were working military press more than three times a week.

This is your main problem, because at the weight you were using, injuries would have come sooner rather than later just by the amount of work you were doing.

Have you looked into Olympic lifting? It emphasizes strength and power, and has plenty of pressing movements to keep you occupied. Olympic lifts will also let you develop strength equally throughout the body, and I think the lack of a base of strength is the main issue here. Potentially dangerous, in fact.

You are (as others have said) extremely strong for your age, but developing all that strength in one exercise is not the way to go.

Have a think about Olympic lifting. It might be ideal for you…