T Nation

My Custom Bulking/Strength Program

Monday -

Deadlift (conventional / Snatch rotating every week)

2 sets 5 reps (Heavy )
1 set 8-12 reps.(moderate )

Bent Rows

2 sets 5 reps (Heavy )
1 set 8-12 reps.(moderate )

Military press

3 sets 8-10 reps(moderate )

Wednesday-

Bench press

2 sets 5 reps (Heavy )
1 set 8-12 reps.(moderate )

Dumbell bench press

3 sets 10 reps ( light to moderate)

close grip bench press

3 sets 10 reps ( light to moderate)

Friday-

Squats

2 sets 5 reps(Heavy)
2 set 8-10 reps(moderate)

Powerclean ( I am still practising)

5 sets 3 reps( moderate to heavy weight)

Hyperextensions

3 sets 8 reps …

Increasing weight load 1 / 2 KG per week.

Training for past 1 year with normal 3 days body part split. This is my new program to be started next week.

Comments/criticism/suggestions to improve?

It looks extremely limited, and you left out a lot of muscle groups.

Monday, add some bicep work after the militaries. Wednesday, swap out the dumbell bench for inlcine dumbell bench. Friday, hit the powercleans first, as they are a very technically demanding movement. Hitting them before the squats is better. Add in stiff legged deads on friday after the squats and before the hyperextentions, and some calf work at the end. Hit abs on the weekend.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
It looks extremely limited, and you left out a lot of muscle groups.[/quote]

Actually i thought of doing more compound movements so that every muscle is involved.

[quote]BlackSabbath wrote:
Monday, add some bicep work after the militaries. Wednesday, swap out the dumbell bench for inlcine dumbell bench. Friday, hit the powercleans first, as they are a very technically demanding movement. Hitting them before the squats is better. Add in stiff legged deads on friday after the squats and before the hyperextentions, and some calf work at the end. Hit abs on the weekend.[/quote]

Thanks. I will replace dumbell with incline dumbell bench.

Is bicep work necessary on monday? I mean, Wont Rows, Deadlift recruit biceps too?

Ya I will try to powercleans first thing friday. Those are very tiring…

when bulking, I would guess you could handle a greater workload than this, but I may be wrong.
is there a particular reason you feel you need a ‘custom’ program as opposed to a pre-written one, or using a basic template.

Also, for one year of training, you’re being quite conservative with the load progression. I know this will add up over time, but if you can add 5kg a week for a while, why just add 1 or 2?

[quote]Lancey wrote:
when bulking, I would guess you could handle a greater workload than this, but I may be wrong.
is there a particular reason you feel you need a ‘custom’ program as opposed to a pre-written one, or using a basic template.

Also, for one year of training, you’re being quite conservative with the load progression. I know this will add up over time, but if you can add 5kg a week for a while, why just add 1 or 2?[/quote]

Are you suggesting that I should increase my volume?
I am increasing one 1 or 2 because I fear i would get stalled in one particular weight if I increase so much weight per week…

As opposed to increasing your volume on what you have already, I’d suggest adding a few auxiliary movements to each session.

My point was, add weight depending on how able you are to do so. Some lifts, such as deadlifts, you may be able to progress on more quickly. (idk what your lifts look like now)

[quote]Lancey wrote:
As opposed to increasing your volume on what you have already, I’d suggest adding a few auxiliary movements to each session.

My point was, add weight depending on how able you are to do so. Some lifts, such as deadlifts, you may be able to progress on more quickly. (idk what your lifts look like now)
[/quote]

Ok I got it.
I will add some isolations here and there…
r\Thanks…

[quote]rakris wrote:

Ok I got it.
I will add some isolations here and there…
r\Thanks…[/quote]

you don’t have to. If you want small arms and shoulders don’t add in any isolations, it’s as simple as that.

Right if you want your biceps, hamstrings, calves, lateral deltoids, and lats to lag behind and hardly grow at all, then keep doing what you’re doing!

It’s not like we’re trying to bodybuild or anything right?

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Right if you want your biceps, hamstrings, calves, lateral deltoids, and lats to lag behind and hardly grow at all, then keep doing what you’re doing!

It’s not like we’re trying to bodybuild or anything right?[/quote]

Will Starting Strength cause lagging body parts too, then? I always hear of it as a great program, but the exercise choice in SS and the OP’s program is quite similar. Or do the optional chin-ups and dips help to balance it out?

Low volume works real well for some people. I would agree that rather than increasing volume, to add some auxiliary lifts. It’s a good place to start if you are gonna work up to a higher volume program too. Once you start to stall on this program I would try a high volume one.

I think it actually looks pretty good, but I’d probably put the cleans on Monday, and do RDL’s on your leg day instead, or alternate squats with deadlifts.

It is kinda limited, but thats fine, its kinda simple. You probably can handle quite a bit more work though if your bulking. If your training three days, you might want to do 3 full body sessions, OR monday: full body, Wed: lower, Friday: Upper.

I’d try to hit each muscle at least 2-3 times a week.

@ 3rdegreebyrne, dankid

Thanks for your inputs. I will add some basic auxiliary exercises inbetween them and increase volume.

[quote]paradox321 wrote:
Will Starting Strength cause lagging body parts too, then? I always hear of it as a great program, but the exercise choice in SS and the OP’s program is quite similar. Or do the optional chin-ups and dips help to balance it out?[/quote]

If a person wanting to bodybuild begins with Starting Strength to get their technique and strength to a managable level on the hardest exercises before they start a bodybuilding routine, then it wouldn’t be a problem.

But if a person is trying to do Starting Strength to build all of their offseason mass, YES this WILL most likely leave that person with lagging bodyparts and imbalances.

I have seen plenty of examples on the internet of guys who wanted to do a bulk and use starting strength and after gaining 40lbs they found that all that weight was gained in their shoulders, triceps, and ass… and they had to backtrack in order to catch up other bodyparts, especially the calves and arms.
I have yet to see someone gain as well on Starting Strength as anyone else does with a normal bodybuilding routine, much less make BETTER gains as many would have you believe.

It’s just not bodybuilding-oriented.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

If a person wanting to bodybuild begins with Starting Strength to get their technique and strength to a managable level on the hardest exercises before they start a bodybuilding routine, then it wouldn’t be a problem.

But if a person is trying to do Starting Strength to build all of their offseason mass, YES this WILL most likely leave that person with lagging bodyparts and imbalances.

I have seen plenty of examples on the internet of guys who wanted to do a bulk and use starting strength and after gaining 40lbs they found that all that weight was gained in their shoulders, triceps, and ass… and they had to backtrack in order to catch up other bodyparts, especially the calves and arms.
I have yet to see someone gain as well on Starting Strength as anyone else does with a normal bodybuilding routine, much less make BETTER gains as many would have you believe.

It’s just not bodybuilding-oriented.[/quote]

I see what you mean. So I take it you disagree with the “no isolation exercises for beginners” idea?

[quote]paradox321 wrote:

I see what you mean. So I take it you disagree with the “no isolation exercises for beginners” idea?
[/quote]

Definitely, this is a bad idea. Why would one neglect any bodypart if they are training for the purpose of bodybuilding??

[quote]paradox321 wrote:
I see what you mean. So I take it you disagree with the “no isolation exercises for beginners” idea?
[/quote]

Why would a beginner avoid training all of their muscle groups?

The only people that shouldn’t be training certain muscle groups are the advanced guys that feel a bodypart is good enough, or actually grows TOO WELL. Kyoshi comes to mind…