T Nation

My Current Program

Does this mean you are eating at maintenance? Therefore in a weekly deficit. Or is it enough of a
surplus to put you in a surplus for the week? This seems like a great method for a lean bulking cycle.
Do you think one could eat at maintenance for 5 days, fast for 2 while gaining muscle and no fat?

I would say that out of 5 “normal” eating days, 3 are at a slight surplus, with higher carbs and 2 are at a slight deficit/maintenance with lower carbs. The end result is an overall weekly deficit BUT I seem to be putting on muscle (the higher volume workouts have the highest calories) while getting leaner. My body weight has not changed much (from 220 to 218 in 3 weeks so far but I look A LOT leaner).

But my goal with this dietary approach is mostly health related. It also allows me more leeway on the “normal” days. While I don’t eat tons of crap, I am not as regimented as when I was preparing for a photoshoot, if I feel like eating some ice cream, I will. And I’m getting leaner at pretty much the same pace as when I was super strict 6-7 days a week preparing for a shoot… it is just mentally easier.

As for being a good approach for bulking without getting fat, maybe. In theory it could be. But I have not tried it, nor will I since, as I mentioned earlier, I’m pretty close to the maximum muscle I can carry. So bulking makes no sense because of the limited amount of muscle growth I have left.

Ct whats the reasoning for the strength circuits to be after the ‘normal’ lifting days?

Hypothetically- if on the normal liftong days you were doing more growth factor type training would they then go the day after strength circuits?

I fast Sunday and Wednesday, so I don’t want to do whole body strength work on the day after a fast.

I like the idea of fasting for health purposes, but is it possible that some types should just avoid it? My fasting experience as a 2B…

-With intermittent fasting (16:8) I get massive sugar/junk cravings by mid afternoon and feel pretty cranky. Can’t maintain it.

-I tried the 5/2 diet when TC wrote about it a year or two ago, which still included a few hundred calories on the 2 low days. I got really cranky and felt super anxious and cranky. Couldn’t maintain it.

-I haven’t tried a true 24 hr water fast (is a black coffee allowed)

do you drink coffee during the fast. makes a big difference. come to think of it, i haven’t done many fasting days withotu coffee or tea or energy drinks.

if you train in evening, you shoudl eat mid afternoon after fast (break it with protein & fruit, maybe some veggies). it is really really awesome

A) People will probably ask you anyway.

B) It’s just because people want to look like you!

On behalf of my forum peers, I apologize for the interrogation. There are a lot of us that like to read your posts and leave you alone. I typically don’t bother to respond or “Like” your posts because I know you get bombarded with tons of notifications every time you log on here, but I wanted to let you know your posts are appreciated. Thanks!

How on Earth are you doing this!?? I’ve been trying to push back my first meal to around 10:30am which is right before I train and I’ve been starving. This morning I woke up hungry. It’s a non-training day so I thought maybe I could wait a little longer before eating but I’m not going to make it long at this rate.

Any tips to fight the hunger? How do you eat the day before you fast? Is there anything I can manipulate with timing to make it so I don’t wake up hungry?

Thanks!

How high is your carb intake? I find that the more carbs I eat the hungrier I am.

It’s usually pretty high. I consider 200g to be a low carb day :smile:

I’m always interested to see how you are training.
In fact, following one of your plans from the mid 2000s gave me the best strength gains of my life. Thanks for sharing. I’m interested to see how it works for you.