My Crossfit Experience

Heavy,
WoW! I’m fascinated wtih methods of healing. Can you answer this?

1. Basically, if a person learns a variety of movements or sports, there would be less chance of injury? The Crossfit dimension is helpful because of the aerobic/anaerobic aspect?

2. Have you found Crossfit to be helpful for athletes for general conditioning?

3. You’re incorporating new movements as a way to heal your body?

thanks so much. YOu’re awesome!!
[/quote]

1- i think so, you have to learn and maintain your ability to move your body in a variety of different planes to stay healthy IMHO

2- i have heard that it is, as far as my opinion, well i am still forming it, as i have only been doing this for a month or so.

3- yes! definitely

today Monday Nov 7

1. dynamic stretching/mobility circuit
  2. free back squats, RAW, ATG, all sets with 110lbs chain loaded on bar:225x5, 245x5, 275x7, 235x5, 295x5, 255x5, 315x5 all were pretty easy, but my right lateral low back cramped up really bad my last set. still feel it now.
  3. WOD: 3 rounds of blast strap push-ups superseted with hanging knee to elbows, 21, 15, 9 reps each, as fast as possible.

cept my low back felt pretty good today,.

tues nov 8

was a lazy bastard today, no warm up.

1.chins, bwx5, bwx5, bwx5, bw+25lbsx5, bwx5,bw+25lbsx4, bwx5

nice outside, so i did a sled day:

2.forward dragging 200 feet, then row backwards to starting point, no rest, started with 1 plate, added a plate each round until 7 plates, thought i was going to pass out.

felt good.

very interesting stuff!

anyone here combine this “crossfit” type stuff with hypertrophy training? what sort of regime do you use?

thanks.

well, wave loading 5x5 is strength and hypertrophy training, and i have been leaning out without losing any size since starting.

wed Nov 9

1. dynamic stretching /mobility circuit

2. push press 5x135, 5x155, 5x185, 5x205, 5x185, 5x205, 5x225

all these were easy, cept my last two sets my right wrist was really aching, i am about as flexible and a piece of firewood. hope to get 250-270 on my 6x3 next week.

1. WOD: power snatches form floor, 135lbs, 30 reps as fast as i could. i ended up doing sets of five, with very little rest between sets. first few, i basically stood up and took a breath and started over again, toward the end, i was bent over huffing for about 20-30 seconds.

traps feel BLOWED-UP!

thurs nov 10

felt beat up, took a recovery day, walked for 15 minutes in neighborhood, and went to the pool and swam and played around about 30 minutes.

Friday Nov 11

1. mobility stretching circuit

2. power cleans form floor, warmed up, then 225x3, 245x1, 225x2x2, 255x1, 235x1, 275xmiss(got it high enough but could not catch it on my shoulders) 225x2, 245x1

3. did the “ladder” supersetted dips(body-weight) and front squats(205lbs) with no rest, 10, 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

this almost killed me. really. the first few super sets i thought i was going to pass out on the front squats. ugh!

my quest for a 700lb deadlift and 700lb box squat is pretty much dead right now. i managed 665 on the pull, and 680 something(was using kilogram plates) off a 1-1/2 inch above parallel box in full gear. after i did that box squat, over the next 5-6 weeks, i had 3 different thigh injuries, all in different places on my right leg, the worst of which was a tore abductor in my inner thigh, which left me unable to walk up stairs for about two weeks.

i have not completely ruled out a return to seeking limit weights in gear(power-lifting) but for now, i think i have some more reasonable goals unequipped that i need to achieve before i am physically and more importantly mentally able to go after big numbers again.

-raw free squat 500lbs
-raw front squat 315lbs
-jerk form rack 315lbs
-power clean 315lbs
-power snatch 225lbs
-push-ups 100 continuously
-body weight dips 50
-get down to 220-225lbs of body-weight

sat Nov 12

utter depression over the cancellation of the klitschko/rahman fight and vitaly’s retirement, so i took the day off.

sun Nov 13

TABATA!!!1111!!!

dumbbell squat thrusters 50lb dumbbells

went something like 9,8, 8, 5,5,4,3,3

first time i have ever been frightened by a workout. by the 5th set my lungs were burning, and my heart felt like it was going to explode. the last set i was determined to smash out at leas 6 reps, so i BLEW the first 3 up, then my body literally shut down. my heart like just STOPPED. really. very frightening experience. i dropped the dumbbells, knelled over, took some breaths, cleaned the dumbbells to my chest and looked up and my time was up.

these things are interesting. last time i did the 25lbers, and i felt the pump and later soreness in my legs, i my rep breakdown was more like 15, 10, 8,8, etc… today, i felt it more in my core(low back and abds). i think that if i upped the poundage more and got like 5’s and 3’s, i would wear most of the pain in my delts and tri’s and upper back.

i wonder if i really upped the poundage (like the 80’s)and went for 3’s and 1’s, how that would feel. perhaps less fat burning and more muscle mass and strength endurance??? care to comment DJ?

also i think i would like to try these with hang cleans into front-squats.

Just letting you know I’m still paying attention…

haha the only thing is, if you are trying to break away from powerlifting a bit (or take a break from, I should say), why go so heavy on the legs, aiming for 700?

Your goals sound excellent though! That 100 pushups in a row is mother; I love doing them and only up around 60-70.

There’s no “official” number of reps for tabatas, but you want to get 8-10 per set. Seems like you took a pretty big jump. Dont’ you love it when you get so out there and aren’t quite so sure of what’s happening?

My 12-year old does tabata thrusters for his warm-up. The little show off. He needs to grab some heavier dumbbells, but, he’s just having fun.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Just letting you know I’m still paying attention…

haha the only thing is, if you are trying to break away from powerlifting a bit (or take a break from, I should say), why go so heavy on the legs, aiming for 700?

Your goals sound excellent though! That 100 pushups in a row is mother; I love doing them and only up around 60-70.[/quote]

first off, thanks for contributing to my log. the 700 squat and pull WAS a FORMER goal. now, i am not even thinking about big numbers in ultra cheater power gear, haha. a few months ago was pretty close, as was 700 on the deadlift. buyt now i think getting leaner and healthier is more important. damn, i am almost 40! if i do not get control of things now i doubt i will when i am 50!.

[quote]Gary John wrote:
There’s no “official” number of reps for tabatas, but you want to get 8-10 per set. Seems like you took a pretty big jump. Dont’ you love it when you get so out there and aren’t quite so sure of what’s happening?

My 12-year old does tabata thrusters for his warm-up. The little show off. He needs to grab some heavier dumbbells, but, he’s just having fun.[/quote]

haha, NO, it was scary! haha.

i hear you. since you are paying attention, what do you think of my thoughts about uping the load and getting 1-3 reps per set for top end strength endurance?

i can get 50 right now, and i have to break things into sets of 10 after that to make it to 100. i hve a ways to go…

just chipping in here so excuse my bad manners!

my own thoughts on the top-end strength endurance thing is . . . give it a try!

if you have a look around the the net there is an article about top-end strength-endurance (for mma) by a guy called wiggy; its basically lots of low rep sets with low rest periods. it works!

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
[/quote]

more good stuff

hang clean - front squat - hang clean front squat - etc

or

hang clean - front squat - front squat …

???

i just can’t imagine a light weight flying around that fast from the hang to the rack, then the squat, then all again a bunch of times in 20 seconds … two different motions rather than one fluid movement like the squat thrusters

just my $.02 and to play devil’s advocate

i personally like sets of ~10 cleans for a lung crushing workout - try 5 sets of 10 or 12 with 60 seconds rest!

Bastard

[quote]Bastard wrote:
heavythrower wrote:

more good stuff

hang clean - front squat - hang clean front squat - etc

or

hang clean - front squat - front squat …

???

i just can’t imagine a light weight flying around that fast from the hang to the rack, then the squat, then all again a bunch of times in 20 seconds … two different motions rather than one fluid movement like the squat thrusters

just my $.02 and to play devil’s advocate

i personally like sets of ~10 cleans for a lung crushing workout - try 5 sets of 10 or 12 with 60 seconds rest!

Bastard[/quote]

B.? you clean the seight from a hang, go right into a front squat. at the top of the front squat, drop the weight to your waist and then repeat. pretty fluid sounding on paper to me, we will see what it is like in practice and i will give you all a report.

as far as the 5 sets of 10-12 of cleans , one of the workouts Robb Wolfe of crossfit norcal gave me was either c&j OR snatch 135lbs for 30 reps, as fast as possible. try to beat the time each workout. i did 6 sets of five with 10-30 seconds rest between sets, very brutal.

due to scheduling problems, i am no longer going to be able to train at crossfit. however, i am going to continue to do their workouts at a commercial gym where i can. basically, after my one big lift, i am going to be doing either a “diane”, where i pick 2-3 movements and do a 3 round circuit with no rest of 21-15-9 reps. or a 30 rep as fast a possible movement, or a tabata.

1. dynamic stretching and mobility circuit

2. power snatch 40kgx5, 50kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx3, 80kgx3, 90kgx2, 80kgx2, 90kgx1, 90kgx1. pretty happy with this as i have not done a heavy snatch workout in over a year!!!

3. WOD did a “diane” (3 rounds of 21-15-9 reps) with the following movements: blast strap pushups, blast strap rows, med ball incline sit-up-throws. BRUTAL!

1. warm up dynamic stretching and mobility stuff

2. back squats 100% RAW, atg, all sets with 100lbs of chain: 120kgx3, 130kgx3, 140kgx3, 130kgx3, 150kgx3, 160kgx3 after a little bit of stiffness the first 3 sets, these felt pretty good and easy. gonna go for around 180kg plus the chain next week for a double. my quest for 500 100% raw atg is alive and well, hope i did not just jinx myself.

3. waiter walks 80lb dumbbell one lap each hand, my left shoulder is giving me trouble right now, and these exposed it. with the dumbbell in my left hand, i was much slower and unstable, the ones with my right hand were easy, my left was real hard…

4. farmers walks 150lb dumbbells 2x 1 lap around gym.

#3 nd #4 made my core work like crazy!

are you working out every day? do you “schedule” recovery days or just take a day off when you feel you need it?

are you deliberately concentrating on strength/power endurance or will you be implementing some of the more cardio-based crossfit template stuff ie working in rower, running, etc.?

interesting thread, please keep posting.